Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Open Debate
Register Forgot Password?

Open Debate The only forum to discuss politics and religion. Please keep it civil.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old July 21st, 2013, 10:59 AM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 11,518
Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo
Default Do You Know The Facts ?

This week the REV. Jessie Jackson said that Florida was just like South Africa during their suppression of people of color.

Do you think this was a good statement to make?

Do you know what happened in South Africa during these troubling times?

Can you compare the country, and the state of Florida?
__________________
Ecstasy 2005
Conquest 2005
Elation 2005
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old July 21st, 2013, 12:00 PM
Dave Beers's Avatar
Moderator
Admiral
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Alabama
Posts: 1,663
Default

It was a ridiculous comparison to make. Sure, Florida and many other states had similarities with South Africa at one time - back in the Jim Crow days and through the 60s and perhaps even early 70s. Truly a shameful time for this nation. But to say Florida in 2013 is like apartheid in South Africa is beyond the pale.
__________________
Dave
Forum Moderator
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old July 21st, 2013, 12:44 PM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: new orleans, la
Posts: 7,074
Default

Luanne...great question...I am going to South Africa, for the first time next March, to attend the Capetown International Jazz Festival, and will stay with friends who grew up there during Apartheid as much as my GF, who is a native of New Orleans grew up during Jim Crow era in the South,,,,we met them a few years ago when they came to New Orleans for our Jazz & Heritage Festival...I'm sure the Zimmerman verdict will creep into our dinner conversation, so when I return I will be able to give you some insight first hand...I am so excited because they are taking us to Robben Island where Nelson Mandela was imprisioned

Jesse Jackson IMHO has marginalized himself (self inflicted) to the extent that ,much like Newt Gingrich,
when they both come out with statements like this, it's more to try to gain the spotlight as opposed to advancing the public dialogue for the good..it should be noted that Paula Deen has quietly cut her ties with him in her efforts to rebuild her image...wise choice on her part IMHO

POTUS Obama in his statement at the press briefing was on target when he indicated that the nation's conversation on race relations should be conducted at the grassroots level and not be orchestrated by politicians or cable tv commentators, because they do not advance the conversation, but dig deeper into their entrenched positions...
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old July 21st, 2013, 01:01 PM
Dave Beers's Avatar
Moderator
Admiral
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Alabama
Posts: 1,663
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by venice View Post

Jesse Jackson IMHO has marginalized himself (self inflicted) to the extent that ,much like Newt Gingrich,
when they both come out with statements like this, it's more to try to gain the spotlight as opposed to advancing the public dialogue for the good..it should be noted that Paula Deen has quietly cut her ties with him in her efforts to rebuild her image...wise choice on her part IMHO

POTUS Obama in his statement at the press briefing was on target when he indicated that the nation's conversation on race relations should be conducted at the grassroots level and not be orchestrated by politicians or cable tv commentators, because they do not advance the conversation, but dig deeper into their entrenched positions...
Couldn't agree more with your comments. Those in the media and politics who jump on these type issues do not, as Charles Barkley said, have 'pure hearts'. They are looking at the face time, pandering to their base, ratings, etc. And all they end up doing is emboldening two opposing camps. Not at all helpful.
__________________
Dave
Forum Moderator
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old July 21st, 2013, 03:03 PM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: new orleans, la
Posts: 7,074
Default

Dave...twice in the same thread...I'll have to invite you and your family over for our subdivision hurricane evacuation planning crawfish boil block party. If Hurricane Katrina and Isaac (my town was the epicenter of Isaac) taught us anything, is that hurricane's don't care what color you are, political leaning, orientation or job/money status, when you lose everything, you come together to get back on your feet

It is very fortutious that John Stewart, host of The Daily Show is on a 13 week break filming a movie overseas. When he returns, there will be enough "distance" and recorded video to have taken place that his staff will have a wealth of material to expose the hypocrisy of how the politicans and left/right wing media "hype" folks are absolute a%&*+ and two faced. I see multi Emmy nominations for both the Daily Show and the Colbert Report.

I have come to believe that the majority of Americans are not influenced by the extremes of the left/right...contrary to what FOX/MSNBC/CNN would like us to believe...the fact that there were no acts of violence or"riots" on Saturday was a letdown for the cable pundits because the media tried to be a "crap disturber". I believe this was a sign that there will be a record turnout by minorities in the 2014 midterm elections and state/local contest that does not bear well for a particular party
Luanne...look for a Bill O'Reiley/Jesse Jackson "speaking the truth as we like to spin it"tour. sponsored by Karl Rove's SuperPac and moderated by Anderson Cooper
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old July 21st, 2013, 04:05 PM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 18,199
Default

I knew Jesse Jackson back in the 60's. At the time his primary focus was Jesse Jackson .He has taken credit for several things that occured during the Civil Rights Movement that he never had anything to do with.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old July 21st, 2013, 05:27 PM
Dave Beers's Avatar
Moderator
Admiral
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Alabama
Posts: 1,663
Default

venice,

I would love to hear what your South African friends have to say about Jackson's comment. I'm not qualified to speak for them, but just looking at the history, if I'd lived through apartheid on the receiving end I'd have a problem with his remarks. Not sure if I'd yell at him, laugh in his face, or both.

And if I am in the area I'd be happy to eat crawfish and have a beer or three at a boil sometime. I love that type of get-together. No pretensions.

Laker's Fan - there was a time when Jesse Jackson seemed to be doing good things, with his talks to youth about 'up with hope, down with dope' and 'repeat after me...I am somebody...' catch phrases. But to me he has pretty much spent his life as you say - promoting Jesse Jackson like a brand name.
__________________
Dave
Forum Moderator
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old July 21st, 2013, 06:44 PM
zydecocruiser's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,841
Default

South Africa was blessed with hanging chad and a stolen election? That's unfortunate.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old July 22nd, 2013, 12:31 AM
Senior Member
Captain
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 566
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luanne Russo View Post

Do you know what happened in South Africa during these troubling times?

Can you compare the country, and the state of Florida?
I guess one comparison is that a white gunman can stalk and accost a black pedestrian and kill him with no consequences, as long as nobody else sees it. That happened in Florida as well as South Africa.

And Luanne's attitude about how we can't compare because Florida has fewer unjust deaths than SA did creeps me out.

In Florida, you can kill anybody as long as you get them alone in a public place. Stand your ground says you should not be prosecuted and cannot be convicted.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old July 22nd, 2013, 05:27 AM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: new orleans, la
Posts: 7,074
Lightbulb

I am reminded of the late NewYork. US Senator Daniel Patrick Moynihan (who had the great wisdom to grant an appointment to the USAFA, to a certain young man that I know)
New Orleans, for years, has one of the highest murder rates in the Country and it is primary young African American males killing each other...it is no surprise to the African American community here and Hurricane Katrina brought it to an international spotlight. I was somewhat amused this past weekend watching FOX "question" why the African American community isn't "outraged" by this (we are, but FOX only pays attention when it fits he narrative of the far right).FOX &MSNBC remind me of a couple going thru a bitter divorce and using our Black youth as the punching bag
At least in New Orleans, there has been a focused effort on the part of African American men who have been Blessed to have achieved success despite overwhelming obstacles, to reach out and actually listen to our young men who are in the cycle of violence and try to come up with a roadmap to "pay it forward". No surprises there is an education path, a military path and a craftsman path. The key is to introduce these paths to our "sons" as early as possible and then mentor them thru the process so they are shielded from being victimize. In today's society more then ever it does take a village to raise a child. When I grew up in my little village in upstate New York, if the young people were in trouble, there was a town meeting at the firehouse to figure out how to come together to find solutions because it was collectively "our" kids. Travon was "our child". We need a town meeting. Just don't let Hannity and Ann Coulter know about the meeting
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old July 22nd, 2013, 10:36 AM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 11,518
Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aidan View Post
I guess one comparison is that a white gunman can stalk and accost a black pedestrian and kill him with no consequences, as long as nobody else sees it. That happened in Florida as well as South Africa.

And Luanne's attitude about how we can't compare because Florida has fewer unjust deaths than SA did creeps me out.

In Florida, you can kill anybody as long as you get them alone in a public place. Stand your ground says you should not be prosecuted and cannot be convicted.
Please re-read what I wrote. I didn't give an opinion, but started the conversation.
__________________
Ecstasy 2005
Conquest 2005
Elation 2005
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old July 22nd, 2013, 11:21 AM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 18,199
Default Interesting

Quote:
Originally Posted by venice View Post
I am reminded of the late NewYork. US Senator Daniel Patrick Moynihan (who had the great wisdom to grant an appointment to the USAFA, to a certain young man that I know)
New Orleans, for years, has one of the highest murder rates in the Country and it is primary young African American males killing each other...it is no surprise to the African American community here and Hurricane Katrina brought it to an international spotlight. I was somewhat amused this past weekend watching FOX "question" why the African American community isn't "outraged" by this (we are, but FOX only pays attention when it fits he narrative of the far right).FOX &MSNBC remind me of a couple going thru a bitter divorce and using our Black youth as the punching bag
At least in New Orleans, there has been a focused effort on the part of African American men who have been Blessed to have achieved success despite overwhelming obstacles, to reach out and actually listen to our young men who are in the cycle of violence and try to come up with a roadmap to "pay it forward". No surprises there is an education path, a military path and a craftsman path. The key is to introduce these paths to our "sons" as early as possible and then mentor them thru the process so they are shielded from being victimize. In today's society more then ever it does take a village to raise a child. When I grew up in my little village in upstate New York, if the young people were in trouble, there was a town meeting at the firehouse to figure out how to come together to find solutions because it was collectively "our" kids. Travon was "our child". We need a town meeting. Just don't let Hannity and Ann Coulter know about the meeting

All of america's kids are our kids . Children of color are murdered every day in every state in this country.
You were fortunate to live in a town where people cared.
When my friend was mudered in Brooklyn,NY solely because he was black a police officer came to my friends parents and said if you try and pursue this in the courts we will have 50 people say your son was run over by a bus.
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old July 22nd, 2013, 11:42 AM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 11,518
Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakers Fan View Post
All of america's kids are our kids . Children of color are murdered every day in every state in this country.
You were fortunate to live in a town where people cared.
When my friend was mudered in Brooklyn,NY solely because he was black a police officer came to my friends parents and said if you try and pursue this in the courts we will have 50 people say your son was run over by a bus.
Truly sad story, Laker. It shows how much progress has been made over the years.
__________________
Ecstasy 2005
Conquest 2005
Elation 2005
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old July 22nd, 2013, 12:51 PM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: new orleans, la
Posts: 7,074
Default

I've always believed this board would benefit by having more cruisers of color actively post and participate in both cruise related / open discussion threads...we all could be better for it

IMHO 50 years ago our society was still very much segregated in all areas of life...this bred ignorance, distrust , resentment and exclusion from the political process and voting rights...what changed was the Montgomery March where dogs and water hoses were used on children and the bombing of the Church killing 5 little Black girls attending Sunday School...when Walter Cronkite (the most trusted man in America) reported on and showed visual images, at dinner time )the American public who had remained silent and pretended that this could not happen in America said enough is enough and LBJ (of all people given his background) addressed a joint session of Congress and said never again and passed the 1965 Voting Rights Act, which started our Country out of segragation where our children attend school, live in the same neighborhood, play sports, serve in the military, date, fall in love, marry, have kids and work together

You are right Luanne, we have made progress..but with the way things are today, if there was a Montgomery March , I bet FOX and MSNBC would have very different takes of the same image...that is what concerns me...the Speaker of the House would never allow a Voting Rights Bill to come to the floor for a vote
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old July 22nd, 2013, 01:38 PM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 11,518
Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo
Default

Venice,

I think you are right about voting on the rights in this day and time. Everyone is able to vote, and recourses if it is not.

I have yet to understand how the places are set up to vote, or how the districts are set up. I don't understand why it matters if you are in a demo district or a repub. You vote is your own, and as long as you vote, it is counted, and you don't vote more than one time, it doesn't matter to me.

While we are talking about it, would someone explain to me why it is not possible to get a free ID to vote, because of travel, but you can get to the same place to vote. This has always puzzled me.
__________________
Ecstasy 2005
Conquest 2005
Elation 2005
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old July 22nd, 2013, 04:04 PM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: new orleans, la
Posts: 7,074
Default

Great observation on your part...I can speak to how it is done in my parish...there is a local election board (which is appointed and I never bother to ask by whom...I now have an action item) that sets the rules, location, polling times) when I first moved here and registered to vote, I was sent a white voter registration card, which I lamenated and keep with my passport..it happens that my designated polling place is 1/2 mile from my house...thanks to your prompting, I am going to the Parish President's office and seek answers to your questions..thanks for making me stretch
I discovered when it's not a presidential election, the turnout for my Parish is less then 10% for congress/state/local. When I turned 21 back in 1972, I register as a Republican (what a different time that was ) because my Grandfather was one. Never thought much about it , never voted for for a republican presidential candidate. In one of the great ironic quirks of my life..one of my Dad's many side jobs was cutting lawn for the William F. Buckley family estate in CT. Nice man, he knew of my interest in political science and he encouraged me to pursue...only years later did I understand his politics
During the last republican primary, one of the candidates came to my area for a private fundraiser and there was a general rally for registered republicans . I went because I was curious and was stopped at the door and questioned why I was there (wonder why)..I quietly stepped aside and watch as several White people were allowed entrance and were not challenged. I went back to the door, showed them my registration card and driver ID, was invited in, declined and went directly inthe direction of the media. Before I could reach the media, I met a very high ranking local official who invited me to join him. I went home. I will change my registration to independent..
Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old July 22nd, 2013, 10:12 PM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 18,199
Default

Washington ,DC was a segregated area until the 70's .Yes during the JFK and LBJ administrations .
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old July 22nd, 2013, 10:39 PM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: new orleans, la
Posts: 7,074
Default

Taxation without representation in DC.....why is that allowed in today's society? ...in many ways New Orleans is still segragated today. Hurricane Katrina actually made the situation worse...most of the lower 9th ward looks the same as the day of the storm in 2005
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Quick and Interesting Facts bahamamomma Cruise Jokes & Trivia - Just For Laughs 24 November 23rd, 2008 08:12 AM
Crazy facts rinker250 Cruise Jokes & Trivia - Just For Laughs 5 April 29th, 2008 08:17 AM
Some Unknown Facts Luanne Russo Cruise Jokes & Trivia - Just For Laughs 3 April 29th, 2007 01:11 AM
Some Interesting Facts Cruznut2 Chit - Chat for Cruisers 13 February 11th, 2006 04:31 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


 

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:44 AM.
design by: Themes by Design

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1