Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Open Debate
Register Forgot Password?

Open Debate The only forum to discuss politics and religion. Please keep it civil.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 24th, 2013, 10:49 AM
Admiral

Default Marissa Alexander Case!!

Illustrates what happens in Florida 's application of the Stand Your Ground Statue, when a defendent t can't afford high power legal representation..maybe O'Meara will represent her in the appeal process pro bono
Sponsored Links
Old July 24th, 2013, 11:36 AM
Admiral

You might want to fill readers in on who and what you are talking about.
Old July 24th, 2013, 11:55 AM
Administrator
Admiral

She definitely committed a crime and should be sentenced to jail time. It was irresponsible and dangerous. She went back to her vehicle, retrieved the weapon, went back inside the house and fired the weapon. Even if it was to "frighten" the ex-boyfriend it was extremely dangerous and irresponsible.

Should she have been sentenced to twenty years in prison? I believe not. The legislature needs to give "some" leeway to judges when imposing sentence.

The best thing she could have done was to take the plea deal and do the three years.

I am a gun owner and licensed to carry and I get upset when I see and read about such irresponsible use of a weapon. I just can't believe she thought "Stand Your Ground" could even be a defense in this case. She had a bad attorney or was too bull headed to realize what she did.

It's a terrible thing to say but she shouldn't have missed. She would have had a better defense. ****I just read another article and it stated that the boyfriend's two sons were also in the house. I guess there were witnesses.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me

Last edited by Mike M; July 24th, 2013 at 01:04 PM. Reason: Edited to add more info
Old July 24th, 2013, 01:19 PM
Admiral

Mike...her appeal attorneys are crafting her appeal based around improper trial proceedures..I never believe media coverage about anything these days,,but one of her new attorney's did say, if she killed him, without any witnesses, and he was handling her defense in the original trial, it might have been a different outcome

Under current Florida law, the Judge had no discretion with the sentencing guidelines..maybe I have watched too many Law&Order SVU shows where battered wife syndrome is use by the defense successfully

Media coverage is going to heat up and attempts will be made to link the two cases together...I'm sure legal experts on FOX and MSNBC will be in overdrive this week

There is no timetable when we will know about her appeal. I hope sooner rather then later
Old July 24th, 2013, 01:50 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

I also didn't know about this case, so I had to Google it.

It is very difficult to get the facts, because of so much speculation in the media. It sounds like she was offered a deal, and wouldn't take it.

I also agree with Mike. If you have been in this situation, you know to get away as fast as you can.

I also couldn't find out the ages of the children she endangered when firing so wildly. Thank God they were not hurt.

I can't find the article about the 17 confirmed cases of Stand your Ground Law being used successfully for AA people. Can anyone find it?
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old July 24th, 2013, 02:13 PM
Admiral

Mike...you do understand that the underlining fear,especially in the South, is the increase in the number of right wing White hate groups who legally carry conceal weapon permits and have purchase large numbers of high powered AK-47's etc. less then 5 miles from my home 2 deputies were killed in a shoot out with members of one of these groups, who had links with killings in 5 other states last fall. When the police search the trailer they found a huge stash of AK 47's and ammo that they could have held off the Army Armory which was next door. When the case comes to trial I will send you the link so you can follow
Since 2003, during the hot summers, I do my 5 mile walk at night part of which takes me thru an all White neighbor. I have always spoken or wave at the home owners and make a point of waving at the deputies in their car who patrol the area..when I had my operation last year and missed 3 months, folks stop me to inquire why they haven't seen me. There is also a private company that patrols as part of the neighbor watch (because of Hurricane Katrina break ins in that area).
My family have expressed concern since the verdict about my safety when I walk...a self appointed GZ type could catch me walking alone, and decide that I look "out of place" confront and shoot me and claim self defense or stand your ground To have an identified hate cell live in my Parish is unsettling to say the least..I would pray that if I were in a confrontation in that area the home owners would recognize me, call the police and use their cell camera phones and come to my aid. I'll put O'Meara # on speed dial on my cell phone
Not worried about responsible owners of guns...worried about the one's that aren't