Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Open Debate
Register Forgot Password?

Open Debate The only forum to discuss politics and religion. Please keep it civil.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 26th, 2013, 12:53 PM
Admiral

Default I Remember When!!!!!!!

OJ Simpson was the most incredible running back in college football and I saw him in person when he ran circles around, thru and over Ohio State . When I saw him on tv yesterday at his appeal hearing, 300+ lbs, in his orange jumpsuit (ironic considering USC's Trojan colors) I chose to reflect back on that long ago Saturday afternoon on the gridiron

It dawned on me that there is an entire younger generation that doesn't even know the OJ that I knew that fall. My question for you is not about OJ (kharma took care of him). I wish I had him sign my USC jersey that day

Can you think of other examples of famous people who when they were younger were perceived one way, then in later years perceived in another light on our lifetime?
Sponsored Links
Old July 26th, 2013, 01:07 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

Pete Rose comes to mind, but I would like to comment on OJ.

I was a little girl when he tore up the field in college, and a young teenager when he was in the INFL, but I so admired him.

I also saw his picture yesterday, and it broke my heart.

There is a book you need to read, it is called "OJ is Innocent, and I can Prove it." It was written by William Dear
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old July 26th, 2013, 03:07 PM
Admiral

Remember the OJ USC days. Before Earl McCullouch was moved to wide receiver he played tailback wearing number 22. OJ proved to be a better back and Earl proved to be a better receiver. We lived about a half mile from the Coliseum and and was part of many games. The '67 USC vs.UCLA game with Gary Beban and the '68 Rose Bowl. I saw the tape last night too. OJ looked tired.
Old July 26th, 2013, 05:15 PM
Admiral

Pete Rose...great example..maybe I should have entitled this thread "When The Mighty Fall"....Sports stars and Politicians are held up as role models, so when they fall there is a combination of saddness and guile..When sports stars make a fortune and blow it thru stupidity, it also holds our attention...

On ESPN 30 by 30 series "One Day In June" stands out to me because it showed several major sporting events (Stanley Cup, Knicks playoff game, Arnold Palmer's last US Open, World Cup opening ceremonies in Chicago, Ken Griffin of Seattle Mariners home run pace)...yet OJ's White Bronco chase captured the nation. Everyone remembers where they were and what they were doing that day and the date of the verdict of the then trial of the century
OJ is going to die in prison ..no one will ever forgive him

Ali would be an example of the opposite effect...I saw him in upstate New York when he was training for the 1st Frazier fight in the Garden...most of the Country hated him because of his religion and Vietnam position...Seeing him in person I was mesmerized (sp)..he was a Black Adonnis..hands and mouth were so fast....then everyone saw him light the torch at the Atlanta Olympics Opening Torch ceremony...everyone forgave him, he seems a man at peace with his life
Old July 27th, 2013, 04:07 AM
Captain

These aren't athletes but entertainers......Mel Gibson, always loved his acting but over the years it seemed like he became a bitter man from the way he talked about Jews, to threatening his wife.

The Dixie Chicks were the rave of country music until they talked bad a bout Pres. Bush and the conservative side of country turned on them and basically black balled them.

Barry Bonds....Broke Hank Aarons home run record then it was found out that he was cheating by taking human growth hormones and ruined his last years of playing ball.

Carribean Princess 07
Carnival Valor 08
Carnival Holiday 08
Carnival Triumph 09
Island Princess 09
Carnival Miracle 10
Norwegian Pearl 11
Norwegian Sun 13
Independence of the Seas Feb 14
Carnival Splendor Feb 15
Old July 27th, 2013, 05:00 AM
Admiral

Great examples thanks....I have often wonder what Mel's Lethal Weapon buddy Danny Glover thinks about him.....or...what Barry's Godfather the great Willie Mays thinks about the situation

I think what it proves is society should stop idolizing celebrities and realize like us, they are human and have deep flaws...we live in a TMZ world of 15 second sound bites

I also have to balance the fact that in my generation there was a system in place that hid the flaws (or it was not reported by the media by an understanding) so we never knew. The alltime classic example was FBI Director J. Edgar Hoover
Old July 31st, 2013, 07:20 AM
Captain

We didn't grow up with a 24 hr news networks.....lol.....These people got to have something to write about? Right?

Carribean Princess 07
Carnival Valor 08
Carnival Holiday 08
Carnival Triumph 09
Island Princess 09
Carnival Miracle 10
Norwegian Pearl 11
Norwegian Sun 13
Independence of the Seas Feb 14
Carnival Splendor Feb 15
Old July 31st, 2013, 10:02 AM
Admiral

Good point...they would not write the crap if the public demand was not there...JFK would be in deep trouble if he were POTUS today, but then again Clinton was reelected

J. Edgar Hoover would go nuts in today's 24/7 news cycle but he would probably have TMZ on payroll as a secret source

Walter Winchell gave birth to the Holloywood Insider
Old July 31st, 2013, 11:15 AM
Admiral

With the Internet and everyone having cell phones it's harder to fool all of the people all of the time.
Old July 31st, 2013, 01:00 PM
Admiral

Lance Armstrong and his scandal, which begs the question: Should it be legal to use HGH is sports since so many people do? I'm not really for or against. Just wondering what y'll think.
Old July 31st, 2013, 10:14 PM
Admiral

Alex Rodriguez

John F.Kennedy

(I LOVE THE DIXIE CHICKS)