Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Open Debate
Register Forgot Password?

Open Debate The only forum to discuss politics and religion. Please keep it civil.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old July 26th, 2013, 06:27 PM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: new orleans, la
Posts: 7,074
Default What's In The Air??

Castro makes a plea deal, Mayor of San Diego going into a 2 week "rehab"...Iowa Congressman makes as an insane insensitive statement...the Weiner mess, the Paula Deen mess, mass shootings.....does it seem to you the universe is out of whack???

99 days until my cruise on the Carnival Freedom and 8 days and nights of great musicianship
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old July 26th, 2013, 06:54 PM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Palm Coast, Florida
Posts: 20,046
Default

Venice, nothing is out whack. The world is just complicated and there are many distractions and influences from the media and social networks.
When I was a kid, we lived in a small town in Portugal. We did not know much about the outside world and we were not exposed to violence. Life was very simple and we did have so many examples of famous people involved in immoral acts.

The way I see it the world will only get worse.

TM
__________________
CRUISES
Century 4/1998
Mercury 4/2000+4/2006+7/2007
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence 12/29/13


Booked Vision of the Seas . 2/14/2015

Booked Allure of the Seas... 2/21/16 *Last Gang Cruise*
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old July 27th, 2013, 02:20 PM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 11,518
Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo
Default

I think it is called lowering the standard, and the internet.

If News people still reported the news, and not the trash, this would not be so world known. Any assistant/ secretary has probably gone through the groping thing. It should have been handled in house, not on the net.

Any man who took a picture of his peanut, and posted it, would have been in jail, not on the campaign trail.

Castro didn't deserve anything.

Hang on everyone, it will get worse, just wait and see.
__________________
Ecstasy 2005
Conquest 2005
Elation 2005
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old July 27th, 2013, 04:42 PM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: new orleans, la
Posts: 7,074
Default

I am at that stage of my life where I am disappointed, but not surprise

I do however, go out of my way to seek out the positive to counter balance the negative ...the media seldom focuses in depth on when our young people do well inspite of incredible obstacles...it might be a 30 second clip at the end of a news program, but they will do a 5 minute opening segment on youth violence and gangs..there are lots of positive programs going on for our youth but the public does not support these efforts because the media seldom promotes it. Every year on my Capital Jazz SuperCruise, the promoter conducts a celebrity auction with all proceeds going to support jazz music programs in public schools (which usually gets cut first in budget cutbacks)...that's call "paying forward"

I also think there is a certain amount of hypocrisy in our society...we say we want our political leaders to have strong moral principals, but yet we reward bad behavior by reelecting them (classic example SC Sanford and LA Vitter)

My pet peeve is today's high profile athletes...I come from the generation that sports was a way for one to gain a college education to obtain a good job...you had to maintain a certain GPA to play college ball and you had 4 years to gain your degree..Now it's 1-2 seasons and done...less then 40% of division 1 major (revenue generating) athletes receive their degrees in 4 years...one attends college to obtain an education, not plsy ball
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old July 28th, 2013, 01:13 AM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 18,291
Default Still more

Quote:
Originally Posted by venice View Post
Castro makes a plea deal, Mayor of San Diego going into a 2 week "rehab"...Iowa Congressman makes as an insane insensitive statement...the Weiner mess, the Paula Deen mess, mass shootings.....does it seem to you the universe is out of whack???

99 days until my cruise on the Carnival Freedom and 8 days and nights of great musicianship

Elliot Spitzer and his anti-weiner statements .They can easily be reversed .
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old July 28th, 2013, 01:16 AM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 18,291
Default college and athletes

Quote:
Originally Posted by venice View Post
I am at that stage of my life where I am disappointed, but not surprise

I do however, go out of my way to seek out the positive to counter balance the negative ...the media seldom focuses in depth on when our young people do well inspite of incredible obstacles...it might be a 30 second clip at the end of a news program, but they will do a 5 minute opening segment on youth violence and gangs..there are lots of positive programs going on for our youth but the public does not support these efforts because the media seldom promotes it. Every year on my Capital Jazz SuperCruise, the promoter conducts a celebrity auction with all proceeds going to support jazz music programs in public schools (which usually gets cut first in budget cutbacks)...that's call "paying forward"

I also think there is a certain amount of hypocrisy in our society...we say we want our political leaders to have strong moral principals, but yet we reward bad behavior by reelecting them (classic example SC Sanford and LA Vitter)

My pet peeve is today's high profile athletes...I come from the generation that sports was a way for one to gain a college education to obtain a good job...you had to maintain a certain GPA to play college ball and you had 4 years to gain your degree..Now it's 1-2 seasons and done...less then 40% of division 1 major (revenue generating) athletes receive their degrees in 4 years...one attends college to obtain an education, not plsy ball
In my opinion basketball and football players who are not in college to get an education should leave and go to a minor league system.
.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old July 28th, 2013, 04:45 AM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: new orleans, la
Posts: 7,074
Default

never going to happen because of the income generated....there is a lawsuit pending by former college athletes who's image has been exploited by the NCAA, that will change the dynamics..baseball does a better job in this area because a prospect can go the non college route (minor league) or go the college route

My neighbors have a son that is the starting QB as a freshman of the state championship top division team...he has been scouted by several major division 1A teams since he was in 6th grade...research has shown that the top college to gain your degree in 4 years and play big time ball is....Notre Dame

It's all about exploitation but I think parents have to do a better job in guiding their child to understand that sports is an avenue to gain an education
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old July 28th, 2013, 04:03 PM
Moiraine's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 3,770
Default

I don't know guys. I don't think parents care. When my grown daughter was in the third grade her school had a tournament for the kids. I was ashamed of the adults. The gathered all of the third graders from all of the schools here and broke them up into different teams. One team was formed from girls who had ambitions and had been to basketball camps. Guess who won?

Also, you should have seen the way the parents acted at the games. It was just fun for most of the girls...but you'd think they were professional players the way some of the parents acted. What was supposed to be fun turned into something nasty and mean.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old July 28th, 2013, 04:27 PM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: new orleans, la
Posts: 7,074
Default

My point exactly!!!! One of my neighbors is a high school teacher...on friday nights during football season the stands are packed with parents who will miss work to see their child play...yet when she tries to schedule PTA meetings she is lucky if she can get 3 parents to come...she now does an impromptu meeting with the parents in the fall at the stadium

If you ever want an eye opener, attend a 12-14 girls premier soccer league match...I try to take action pics of all the girls every game with my Nikon long range lens and take action pics of parents acting crazy..I give the pics of the parents to the coach for use when the parents start yelling at him

When I was little and played basketball, everyone made the team, everyone played at least 1/4, and you had to pass 3X before you could shoot...low scoring games, but lots of fun and our parents were well behaved

Charles Barkley was right...professional athletes should not be your child's role model...growing up Willie Mays was my baseball idol (Derek Jeter is my idol today, not for his baseball skills but for his skills with the ladies) but my Dad (and now my son) was always my hero...in my house schoolwork came first, sports second
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old July 28th, 2013, 05:52 PM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 18,291
Default Willie Mays

Quote:
Originally Posted by venice View Post
My point exactly!!!! One of my neighbors is a high school teacher...on friday nights during football season the stands are packed with parents who will miss work to see their child play...yet when she tries to schedule PTA meetings she is lucky if she can get 3 parents to come...she now does an impromptu meeting with the parents in the fall at the stadium

If you ever want an eye opener, attend a 12-14 girls premier soccer league match...I try to take action pics of all the girls every game with my Nikon long range lens and take action pics of parents acting crazy..I give the pics of the parents to the coach for use when the parents start yelling at him

When I was little and played basketball, everyone made the team, everyone played at least 1/4, and you had to pass 3X before you could shoot...low scoring games, but lots of fun and our parents were well behaved

Charles Barkley was right...professional athletes should not be your child's role model...growing up Willie Mays was my baseball idol (Derek Jeter is my idol today, not for his baseball skills but for his skills with the ladies) but my Dad (and now my son) was always my hero...in my house schoolwork came first, sports second

Willie Mays was the best baseball player I ever saw but my childhood baseball hero was .....OOPs ,I just remembered I was not into baseball as a child.
My hero as a youngster was Gandhi.
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old July 28th, 2013, 07:07 PM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: new orleans, la
Posts: 7,074
Default

OK...I will bite....remembering where you were raised...which football (soccer ) player was your idol

Gandhi, Mandela, MLK & Malcolm X all have made the World a better place....however, each had been villified, called a Communist, 3 were murdered and 1 was imprisioned for over 20 years for leading efforts to bring equality to people that had been disfranchised and all were distrusted by their own race because they tried to bring people of all colors and religions together
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old July 28th, 2013, 08:39 PM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 18,291
Default Soccer ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by venice View Post
OK...I will bite....remembering where you were raised...which football (soccer ) player was your idol

Gandhi, Mandela, MLK & Malcolm X all have made the World a better place....however, each had been villified, called a Communist, 3 were murdered and 1 was imprisioned for over 20 years for leading efforts to bring equality to people that had been disfranchised and all were distrusted by their own race because they tried to bring people of all colors and religions together

I didn't say anything about soccer . I was not into sports .I saw my first baseball game when I was 19 (Yankees).

Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Oceania air carrier Atlas Air, Papeete Travelin' Gal Oceania Cruises 1 October 28th, 2012 11:34 AM
Eglin Air Force Base 75th Anniversary Air show Floridanamaw Chit - Chat for Cruisers 5 April 12th, 2010 04:23 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


 

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:04 PM.
design by: Themes by Design

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1