Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Open Debate
Register Forgot Password?

Open Debate The only forum to discuss politics and religion. Please keep it civil.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 1st, 2013, 12:17 PM
Admiral

Default When Your Vote Really Counts!!!

When I turned 21 back in the early 70's, my Dad took me to register to vote and then treat ed me to lunch..it was a big deal because I ordered a beer in front of him...he explained to me how important it was to vote at every level, not just for the POTUS, because alot of people had been beaten or killed trying to exercise what should have been a given...if you don't vote you can't complain was his outlook..when my son turned 18, I carried on the ritual but my son paid for lunch

I recalled that ritual, when I read an article about voter turnout (or lack of) since 2000..in 2008 (53.6%) and 2012 ( 56.8% record turnout) voted for a POTUS candidate but less than 1/2 of those voting pulled in other levers below...."off year " elections were even,more dismal 2002 (37%) 2006 (37.1%), 2010 (37.8%).....local parish elections were. less then 15%..minority turnout ,with the exception of voting for our current POTUS, was almost non existance (no coat tailing effect)..the national RNC party counted on this to capture state and local elections, where they have done their best "body blows"...gerrymandering their districts to be "safe", voter surpression (much deeper then voter id laws) and the recent SCOTUS gutting the pre clearance portion of the Voting Rights Act, must have made Rance Previus, feeling pretty confident until...

IMHO, the true legacy of the Travon Martin trial, voter surpression laws being passed in the republican control states and the Immigration mess, is that, I suspect we will see a record turnout of minorities (both Black & Hispanic) voting in the 2014 elections which will have an impact on the state and local level more then on the congressional seat level. My Dad would be proud...the RNC should be worried....they count on the fact that minority turnoit in 2016 will be even less then the dismal turnout prior to 2008 (pre Barrack)

My question to my fellow CM'ers...why is there such disengagement at the state local level to vote

My question is why are voters as a group, disengaged from the state and local voting polls?
Sponsored Links
Old August 1st, 2013, 12:31 PM
Admiral

[QUOTE=venice;1480954

My question is why are voters as a group, disengaged from the state and local voting polls?[/QUOTE]

They are tired of voting for a bunch of crooks, liars and scoundrels.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old August 1st, 2013, 01:10 PM
Admiral

Whether you vote for Democrats ,Republicans ,Conservatives ,Liberals or Independents nothing ever changes .

The people need to be "educated " to understand that all people are the same regardless of color .

Old August 1st, 2013, 01:23 PM
Admiral

Maybe a better question is how do we encourage young people to pursue careers of public service in the political areana (i.e. Mr Smith goes to Washington)

It use to be an honor to be ask to serve (i was only asked once in 1969. and it started out Greetings From the President)

I can't think of any reason, why a person would want to be subjected to the grief..so maybe you are right, we are left with what we have

Can you name one honest member of Congress
Old August 1st, 2013, 01:32 PM
Admiral

Default Congress

Quote:
Originally Posted by venice View Post
Maybe a better question is how do we encourage young people to pursue careers of public service in the political areana (i.e. Mr Smith goes to Washington)

It use to be an honor to be ask to serve (i was only asked once in 1969. and it started out Greetings From the President)

I can't think of any reason, why a person would want to be subjected to the grief..so maybe you are right, we are left with what we have

Can you name one honest member of Congress
Bernie Sanders is one that comes to mind for me.
Old August 2nd, 2013, 01:56 AM
Captain

I think that the big problem with off year elections and local voting turnout is that most people don't see that they really matter enough to take the time to vote. The truth is that these elections are even more important then the years we elect a President.

I vote every election I can. Being a truck driver that means I normally do early voting or mail in my ballot. Anyone can find the time to vote if they really want to!

The election process needs to be overhauled. We live in a age where almost everyone has a computer or smart phone. Somehow these need to be utilized so as to inconvenience people as little as possible. I am sure a system could be worked out but the problem is voter identification. How do you prove who you are and that you have only voted once in a election? This is the whole reason for the voter ID laws, which in my opinion makes sense, because there are elections where even dead people are voting. Most states offer a free state ID to those who are too impoverished to afford one so there is no sense not to have a ID.

Another Idea would be to make election day in November a federal holiday! Then people would have no excuse as to not finding time to vote.

Carribean Princess 07
Carnival Valor 08
Carnival Holiday 08
Carnival Triumph 09
Island Princess 09
Carnival Miracle 10
Norwegian Pearl 11
Norwegian Sun 13
Independence of the Seas Feb 14
Old August 2nd, 2013, 04:10 AM
Admiral

good point...there also needs to be one standard for all states for voter id's and it needs to be free and accessible to everyone without people having to go out the way..of course the NSA could figure out how to track who voted more then once

Voter fraud is actually very small in comparision to attempt voter surpression as illustrated in the last election and what is now law in states impacted by the recent SCOTUS decision gutting the enforcement by pre clearance. Early voting is key

If we made the first Tuesday in November every four years a national holiday..there would record sick calls on the Monday before
Old August 2nd, 2013, 09:37 AM
First Mate

I think the best way to improve voter turnout would be to make it HARDER to become a voter in the first place. People do not value what they do not have to pay for.

Every presidential election, when the howls start about it being your obligation as a citizen to vote, I get angry. I can tolerate the imbeciles who vote for someone because he or she comes first on the ballot, or because of the ethnicity of the candidate's name, or because one candidate went to the same school as Uncle Harry, and Uncle Harry is really smart. I can even understand the voters who are adamant on one single topic, and who cares what the candidates' opinions or past behaviors are on anything else. But it absolutely frosts me when someone tells me she always votes for the candidate whose picture would look best in the oval frame that used to hang in her grandmother's parlor. Even worse are the voters who only turn out for presidential elections, but still feel compelled to vote in every other race on that ballot even if they are completely ignorant of any of the candidates.

I wish we could institute a system where no one could vote or run for office until after that person had completed two years of national service.
Old August 2nd, 2013, 10:09 AM
Admiral

The contrapositive is also true...people who normally don't vote, will vote, when they figure out that forces are put in place to deny them the right to vote..."you don't know how good you have it until you lose it"

By design, several measures place on the ballot are written in such a way that is very confusing..if you are for it, you vote no,...the position on the ballot is also key, because often measures are "buried" on purpose so you don't vote on it because you feel the time pressure once you enter the booth at your polling place

Voters are engaged on a local level when it affects their pocketbook directly..want to raise my property tax to provide $$$$ to pay for a raises for council members, I will turn out to vote

For all of the flaws of the process, the process works and on the national level is the grest check and balance
Old August 2nd, 2013, 11:08 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Here in Minnesota we do have same day registration for voters. If you have a state issued ID (drivers license, state ID, university id with picture) you can register at the polls. You can also have a registered voter, of your precinct, vouch for you and sign an oath that you are resident. If you are already registered you just need to tell the poll worker your name and address and then vote. No ID required.

Minnesota consistently has the highest, or almost highest, voter turnout in the nation. I believe that it is because of the ease of registration that makes this possible and also a sense of civic duty that is quite prevalent in the state.

If someone isn't going to take the time to vote they sure as heck won't take the time to register, especially if it is harder to do so.

The argument, in Minnesota, I have never supported is the: "I can't get a state ID." That is really ridiculous. A state ID can be obtained, free of charge to low income and seniors who will take the time to go and get one. Nursing homes, county social services and other agencies and organizations have "registration drives" where they take seniors from nursing homes and low income people to get their ID. My niece works for county social services and they organize this each month for nursing home residents. This is mostly for people who do not have family or friends who can do it. If someone's parent does not have an ID I sure as heck don't want to hear their children complain. If you are physically able, then get off your butts and take mom/dad to get one. Also, the state will provide a "free" birth certificate for low income residents. So they can't say they don't have one or it's too expensive.

Both sides of the Minnesota house agree that voter fraud happens but it is such a small percentage that it really does not sway any elections. It didn't even sway the Coleman/Franken election, even though it took months to decide and Franken only won by a few hundred votes.

The real problem is voter apathy and until something happens to change that voter registration initiatives are going to do little to increase turnout.

BTW: Everyone, who has not forfeited their right by law, has the right to vote. Intelligence, uneducated about all the candidates, or personal agenda aren't valid reasons to deny them their right as a citizen.

Take care,
Mike

Upcoming Cruise(s) Carnival Liberty: May 31, 2014. The Anniversary Getaway.

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old August 2nd, 2013, 12:03 PM
Admiral

Mike..you validate my point...too bad some of our fellow states (texas, north carolina, ohio, mississippi) are not like your state

I observed something interesting....in Louisiana, due to the Hurricane recovery,fishing and oil business we have had a large influx of immigrants from Mexico..One of the major employers (did not find out which), sponsors a class at our local library, once a week for 4 hours for their workers (who are paid) to help them with English as a second language and citizenship preparations. Hmmmm making an investment.in people
Old August 2nd, 2013, 01:12 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by venice View Post
When I turned 21 back in the early 70's, my Dad took me to register to vote and then treat ed me to lunch..it was a big deal because I ordered a beer in front of him...he explained to me how important it was to vote at every level, not just for the POTUS, because alot of people had been beaten or killed trying to exercise what should have been a given...if you don't vote you can't complain was his outlook..when my son turned 18, I carried on the ritual but my son paid for lunch

I recalled that ritual, when I read an article about voter turnout (or lack of) since 2000..in 2008 (53.6%) and 2012 ( 56.8% record turnout) voted for a POTUS candidate but less than 1/2 of those voting pulled in other levers below...."off year " elections were even,more dismal 2002 (37%) 2006 (37.1%), 2010 (37.8%).....local parish elections were. less then 15%..minority turnout ,with the exception of voting for our current POTUS, was almost non existance (no coat tailing effect)..the national RNC party counted on this to capture state and local elections, where they have done their best "body blows"...gerrymandering their districts to be "safe", voter surpression (much deeper then voter id laws) and the recent SCOTUS gutting the pre clearance portion of the Voting Rights Act, must have made Rance Previus, feeling pretty confident until...

IMHO, the true legacy of the Travon Martin trial, voter surpression laws being passed in the republican control states and the Immigration mess, is that, I suspect we will see a record turnout of minorities (both Black & Hispanic) voting in the 2014 elections which will have an impact on the state and local level more then on the congressional seat level. My Dad would be proud...the RNC should be worried....they count on the fact that minority turnoit in 2016 will be even less then the dismal turnout prior to 2008 (pre Barrack)

My question to my fellow CM'ers...why is there such disengagement at the state local level to vote

My question is why are voters as a group, disengaged from the state and local voting polls?
All those blacks , Hispanics and immigrants voting in the 2014 election as a block will show everybody who is in charge. And if groups like the Asians, Indians, Jews, Arabs and other minorities form alliances along with the liberals, left wingers, gays and other political persuasions the power block created will be unbeatable. They will show they are the majority and in control. They will as Maritin Luther King said overcome. And when those black, hispanic and other elected representatives start to show they are capable and not bigoted when they have power and that they will not try to gain personaly from the offices or with political favoritism and corruption. That's when things will change in America.

Right on Venice.
Old August 2nd, 2013, 02:40 PM
Admiral

You left out the most important segment...women & senior citizens of all race,creed and colors and political leanings when combined with the groups you mentioned,

We can only hope that the new coalition of political power will govern to a higher standard then the "OG's" establishment that have held the political reigns to the exclusion of others...if nothing else, they can do no worse then recent memory (can you say Cheney, Rumsfield, Rove,Bush 43) or we can go way back (Nixon, Mitchell,,Watergate, StromThurman, George Wallace)

The demographics of America is shifting...true equality also means all people are created equal both for the good and bad qualities