Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Open Debate
Register Forgot Password?

Open Debate The only forum to discuss politics and religion. Please keep it civil.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 1st, 2013, 12:29 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default If Obama is so concerned about Americans why doesn't he open White House to poor.

You know it strikes me that President Obama and his family occupy an opulent spacious White House which he doesn't open up tp the poor. All I ever see on the news is the fantastic dinners he hosts with all of the well-dressed people sipping wine and satisfying their appetites. It seems that he could set up a soup kitchen for the poor tent people in the neighborhood.
Sponsored Links
Old August 1st, 2013, 01:15 PM
Admiral

Surely you are being facetious with this thread.
Old August 1st, 2013, 01:27 PM
Admiral

Sounds like a good idea for you to do and set an example..what would you serve for lunch?
Old August 2nd, 2013, 11:48 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

I was sad to hear that he had closed the White House to the average visitor. It's the peoples house, and should be open to the American people.

As far as a soup kitchen, I don't see that happening. He could open up fracking, oil, and coal, and give people a job, and they could buy their own soup.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old August 3rd, 2013, 01:36 AM
Admiral

Why? Because it is Republicans who want the tickets for their billionaire boy's club contributors. Republicans neither represent nor give a damn about America or Americans. Perhaps they should look in the mirror for the root cause.

The poor need health care.
Old August 3rd, 2013, 09:45 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by zydecocruiser View Post
Why? Because it is Republicans who want the tickets for their billionaire boy's club contributors. Republicans neither represent nor give a damn about America or Americans. Perhaps they should look in the mirror for the root cause.

The poor need health care.
Pure Talking points. It is very important for the Demos for you to believe this.

Read your statement, and investigate the facts, and you will see that the boys club has many members on both sides.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old August 8th, 2013, 12:07 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilsadvocate View Post
You know it strikes me that President Obama and his family occupy an opulent spacious White House which he doesn't open up tp the poor.
President Obama doesn't own the White House, you and other Americans do (assuming you are a citizen of the USA). He has no authority to grant anybody permission to live there.

If you feel that strongly about it, write your Senators and Representatives. Write your newspaper. Demonstrate. Fill the White House with the poor masses from Texas and Mississippi! That can be your new life goal!

Just be sure to sign your name and address on those letters.
Old August 16th, 2013, 01:22 PM
Familiar Face

Am I the only one who sees this as a bad thing? Opening up the White House can lead to some serious national threats seeing how it would take a whole lot of money to screen all of the guest.
Old August 16th, 2013, 01:26 PM
Admiral

The poor can't afford healthcare, much less a bus ticket to DC.
Old August 25th, 2013, 04:30 PM
Admiral

As goofy as this idea is, nobody's yet stated the correct answer, so here it is:

1) The White House isn't as big as you think it is. Ask Luanne.

2) The largest part of it is a workplace, not a residence. "Opening it up" would have serious consequences to the many, many workspaces in the building.

3) Not to mention massive security issues.

4) But the most important thing is that doing so would immediately be called out, with some justification, by the right wing on the grounds of grandstanding. Countries great and small all have their "showplace" buildings, and often the smaller and poorer the country the larger the opulence of officialdom. Even if you could squeeze in five or six families around the edges, what would that accomplish in terms of the big picture? Answer: zero.

If we are, as so many claim, "the greatest nation on earth," we should be allowed reasonable trappings of that greatness, and the White House should certainly be one of them. Of course we hold our State dinners there. They're a standard component of diplomacy, and there's no shame in them.

There's plenty to find fault with in this town, and there's much we could do better, but let's keep our eye on the ball and quit the righteous indignation over trivia.
Old August 25th, 2013, 04:50 PM
Captain

I would imagine the extra security needed and the expense created would far outweigh simply paying for apts or hotels for the few guest it could hold. Let's spend 10million to save $100,000 traditional government thinking lol.

I've always wanted to do a tour of the whitehouse but have heard repeatedly that's it's not very impressive as you are very limited in what your shown.

BOOKED: Holland Oosterdam May 25; 7N ship, 4N Anchorage, 6N Denali, 5N Denver
11 cruises in 2012, 90 nights at sea visiting 15 countries
8 cruises in 2013, 56 nights at sea visiting 7 countries
Old August 25th, 2013, 06:31 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerospace View Post
I've always wanted to do a tour of the whitehouse but have heard repeatedly that's it's not very impressive as you are very limited in what your shown.
Not true. Of course you don't get to visit the residence upstairs, or the offices in the West Wing, but most of the time (depending on what's going on) you get to see most of the main rooms on the first floor, which encompass the most beautiful parts of the building. The history is explained, the art is more than impressive, and the feel of the place is very special. Only a true cynic would say it's not impressive. Of course, some people who visit don't know what they don't know, and think that because they're not allowed into every nook and cranny they're being cheated. These people, unfortunately, are somewhat lacking in knowledge, imagination, historical context and appreciation of things lovely, and that's really too bad.

For those who do appreciate these things, a visit to the Diplomatic Reception Rooms at the State Department is also in order. Not many realize that visits can be arranged, and the art and furnishings there are beyond compare as national treasures.
Old August 25th, 2013, 09:13 PM
Admiral

I agree with AR about the size. It really looks small from the outside, because there are three floors below ground, if I remember correctly.

AR, I have a question for you. On the right side, on the roof are a group of trees. Do you know why they are there?
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old August 26th, 2013, 05:06 AM
Captain

Default Obama sponsors big celebrations for holidays Easter etc.

Why doesn't he sponsor a soup kitchen to feed the poor and hungry in his neighborhood. Surely they can provide the security needed. He probably should have done this dunring the memorial march for Martin Luther King.
Old August 26th, 2013, 10:17 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonnyprincecharlie View Post
Why doesn't he sponsor a soup kitchen to feed the poor and hungry in his neighborhood. Surely they can provide the security needed. He probably should have done this dunring the memorial march for Martin Luther King.
He tried to sponsor the rough equivalent of a nationwide soup kitchen by keeping food stamps in the agriculture bill. But Congress chopped it out.

Checks and balances, don'tcha know.
Old August 26th, 2013, 10:52 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luanne Russo View Post
I agree with AR about the size. It really looks small from the outside, because there are three floors below ground, if I remember correctly.

AR, I have a question for you. On the right side, on the roof are a group of trees. Do you know why they are there?
Much of the underground space is devoted to security issues, from what I'm told.

The vegetation on the roof is officially said to be "a small vegetable garden." But most believe it is part of the security system. There are a number of public buildings that command very interesting views of the White House roof and the south lawn, the most notable being the roof terrace of the Washington Hotel--a very "see and be seen" saloon where drinks start at about 15 bucks. From there, and other places, you can easily see the snipers that are continually positioned on the White House roof. The general assumption is that the vegetation can provide cover for shooters in certain instances where that may become necessary or desirable.

The other assumption is that this particular watering hole is not the best place to go with somebody you're not supposed to be with, because you're going to be on a very high level "candid camera."
Old August 26th, 2013, 10:59 AM
Admiral

Thanks AR. We watch the cameras to see the snipers. They are not hard to find.

To be fair to President Obama, you have to consider all of the money being spent too feed, shelter Americans. Just because there's not a so called soup kitchen at the WH doesn't mean that much is not being done.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old August 26th, 2013, 04:41 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luanne Russo View Post
Thanks AR. We watch the cameras to see the snipers. They are not hard to find.

To be fair to President Obama, you have to consider all of the money being spent too feed, shelter Americans. Just because there's not a so called soup kitchen at the WH doesn't mean that much is not being done.
The snipers are in plain view much of the time. There's no secret about the fact that they're there. But if they ever came under fire, I can see where the greenery could be useful.
Old August 27th, 2013, 12:01 PM
Familiar Face

Default On Allure a cocktail in the fancy restaurant started at $15.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR View Post
Much of the underground space is devoted to security issues, from what I'm told.

The vegetation on the roof is officially said to be "a small vegetable garden." But most believe it is part of the security system. There are a number of public buildings that command very interesting views of the White House roof and the south lawn, the most notable being the roof terrace of the Washington Hotel--a very "see and be seen" saloon where drinks start at about 15 bucks. From there, and other places, you can easily see the snipers that are continually positioned on the White House roof. The general assumption is that the vegetation can provide cover for shooters in certain instances where that may become necessary or desirable.

The other assumption is that this particular watering hole is not the best place to go with somebody you're not supposed to be with, because you're going to be on a very high level "candid camera."
I saw the comment about a $15 cocktail and this reminded me of the $15 cocktail on the Allure. I thought this was a bit high but I am a teatotler so I am naive about pricing of cocktails.