Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Open Debate
Register Forgot Password?

Open Debate The only forum to discuss politics and religion. Please keep it civil.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 22nd, 2013, 11:22 AM
Admiral

Default Hurricane Katrina: Who's Responsible?

First, the facts: Katrina hit New Orleans in 2005 during the presidency of Mr. Bush the younger, fully three years before Mr. Obama took office, and while Mr. Obama was still a freshman senator. If you disagree with any of this, please either look it up or stop reading now, because the rest of this post might prove insulting to you.

Public Policy Polling is one of the best survey research outfits in the country, meaning that they have an excellent track record. They just released a survey in which they asked Louisiana Republicans who was responsible for the mishandling of Katrina, Bush or Obama. The mind-numbing results:

29% of Louisiana Republicans said it was Obama's fault.
28% of Louisiana Republicans said it was Bush's fault.

and here's the best part. . .

43% of Louisiana Republicans said they were unsure!

Only a quarter of them know the truth. The rest either already believe the lies or have no recollection of "You're doin' a heck of a job, Brownie."

Red state stupidity run rampant. Or is it red state bigotry? Or is it just tea-totalitarianism?
Old August 22nd, 2013, 12:06 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR View Post
First, the facts: Katrina hit New Orleans in 2005 during the presidency of Mr. Bush the younger, fully three years before Mr. Obama took office, and while Mr. Obama was still a freshman senator. If you disagree with any of this, please either look it up or stop reading now, because the rest of this post might prove insulting to you.

Public Policy Polling is one of the best survey research outfits in the country, meaning that they have an excellent track record. They just released a survey in which they asked Louisiana Republicans who was responsible for the mishandling of Katrina, Bush or Obama. The mind-numbing results:

29% of Louisiana Republicans said it was Obama's fault.
28% of Louisiana Republicans said it was Bush's fault.

and here's the best part. . .

43% of Louisiana Republicans said they were unsure!

Only a quarter of them know the truth. The rest either already believe the lies or have no recollection of "You're doin' a heck of a job, Brownie."

Red state stupidity run rampant. Or is it red state bigotry? Or is it just tea-totalitarianism?
Ignorance is bliss.

Obviously some must not know
"Pres. Obama took office in January, 2009. Katrina hit us on August 29, 2005. The incredibly ignorant responses blaming Obama are all over the Internet and national news. It is embarrassing," wrote micajah88 beneath Lauren McGaughy's recent article on the poll results.

A better poll would have been a survey of Blanco vs Nagin on who was more incompetent.
Old August 22nd, 2013, 03:40 PM
Admiral

Most people forget (I was here, did not evacuate,I know), Hurricane Katrina did very little damage to New Orleans (incredible damage east thru Florida)...a barge broke loose and punctured two huge holes in the levee..because New Orleans is a bowl..the water from the holes filled the city up to 22 feet within 36 hours after the storm stopped on Monday at 3pm...also Katrina "turned" at the last minute and Texas closed the state line on saturday night which turned folks North

Decades of neglect by both parties in power, contributed to coastal erosion and sub par levee protection by the Army Corp of Engineers

What the question should be is who is responsible for the response (or lack of) in the first 5 days...all parties played a part and Tulane University hosted an excellent forum about a year ago to bring this issue to light...a) lack of a coordinated response among all levels of government (local,state,federal (FEMA) and the private sector (American Red Cross koetc.)...Katrina became a text book study that resulted in a much different response for Hurricane Sandy...b) we now know (thanks in no small part to "Brownie) that the West Wing ļof the White House (Rove etc) made a response in the first 72 hours with a political agenda...c) Nagin and Blanco did not have a clue what to do and the lines of responsibility was not defined (again, lessons learned from Katrina..c) it's on the video tape that Republicans in the rest of the Country vowed that no federal funds should be allocated to rebuild New Orleans..funny how their tune changed when their districts were impacted by a hurricane or flood

Now here is the irony, then newly elected Senator Obama visted New Orleans before POTUS Bush did to view the damage...for POTUS Bush to proclaim that "Brownie was doing a heck of a job" coupled with the photo of him in AF1 flying over us (and over my house btw) on his way back to the White House (only cutting his vacation short by 1/2 day), speaks volumes..

Republicans in Louisiana would tell you that POTUS Obama is responsible for the South losing the Civil War, so when I read the poll that AR referenced, it did not surprise me in the least.

The good news is that the Country learned it's lesson from Katrina...POTUS Obama remember his visit in 2005 and appointed a career person (Florida state FEMA director)with no political agenda to run FEMA, got out of his way, gave him the resources needed and our Country has benefitted because of it (ask Gov Christe). My parish was the epicenter of Hurricane Isaac last year (next week)..our Republican Gov Jindal, who bad mouths POTUS Obama every chance he gets was in a very "humble" state when POTUS Obama visited.and wanted the federal government to pick up the entire bill...believe me Republicans, Democrats, Blacks, Whites, rich, poor were very happy to see our POTUS..our Gov was bood by everyone...he has not been back since

The reality is this...when our Country suffers a huge natural disaster, we expect our POTUS to rise above partisian politics and provide relief a moral compass and to be there for all Americans regardless of race or political affiliation (the buck stops at his desk).I know Luanne will disagree because she believes he has a "good heart", but POTUS Bush will always have a stain on his record because he left Americans on roofs for 5 days...former FLOTUS Laura Bush has a big heart, she has returned countless times to help rebuild our schools libraries and she is loved for her efforts (and no one brings up her husband)...and yet, since he has left office, he has not been back to the lower 9th ward to help us rebuild...wonder why?
Old August 22nd, 2013, 04:29 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

I cannot believe we are still talking about this.

One why did the troops get fired on when supplies and aid were being flown in?

Why was there dozens of school buses floating in a parking lot instead of being used to get citizens out.

Why days before the storm hit, which as you said, didn't hit NO, but further east, didn't someone react to what was happening? I saw the warnings on TV, and yes Venice you were there, but didn't have to be, because a good five days before you were offered comfort in our house as long as you needed it.

When Obama came to visit, he was a nobody, so except for a body guard or two, he could move in and out all he wanted.

Bush was the president. He explained in English why he didn't come right away, so that he didn't take necessary people away from what they needed to do. Obama did the same for Sandy.

The thing about the border of Texas being closed is the stupidest thing I have ever heard. I can look out my window and see the home of a family that left when people started to leave. They were more then welcomed first in Houston, and then here.

That was a smart a** comment about me saying Bush had a big heart. I know it was a jab, and I expect no less, but I don't follow the leader, I use my own common sense to come to my conclusions, and since I am involved with the wounded warriors and I see first hand what Mr. Bush has done, I base my comments on those good deeds.

Now the key question, the most important question is what about now? Is NO still below sea level? Will it flood again? Was it fixed, or was the money once again spent by criminal politicians in NO? Will Obama come running when it does happen again, and take away from sources trying to help others? He actually probably will. He seems to care more about what looks good for him, instead of the right thing to do for his people.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old August 22nd, 2013, 07:21 PM
Admiral

Luanne my friend...you are a great litmus test to remind me of why our Country is so divided...we are leaving tomorrow to drive to Washington to be a part of the 50th anniversary of the March on Washington midweek..I would suggest if you watch any of the coverage do so on CSPAN so you will be spared the partisan political coverage on MSNBC and FOX

I will close out this chapter of "Days Of Our Lives" on this thread...If it were not for Bush 43 there would have never been an O'Bama 44 (think about that for a few moments)

I know you will wish me a safe trip...I know you will miss me on these threads for the next few days
Old August 23rd, 2013, 01:33 AM
Admiral

(Almost) Everybody knows that the vacuum in Bush's head caused Katrina.

Just looking at one point, school bus drivers don't make very much money to begin with and when your family, home, and possessions are being threatened, I'm pretty sure I know where their priorities are going to be.

The Federal Government had a mandate from Congress and 40 years to protect the city, and I don't think once approved a budget for the Corps of Engineers that would allow them to do the work necessary. Even under Bush. Was he solely responsible for the city lacking adequate protection? No, but he certainly contributed to it and Katrina did, in fact, happen on his watch.

Brownie was, in fact, unqualified and just a political payback appointee. For one idiot to compliment another idiot on a helluva job might otherwise be comical, if not for the fact that people died and there was so much destruction.

It would have been cheaper to the work authorized, but instead more people lost their lives. Pay me now or pay me more later. It's too late to whine about that.

Yes, I think at least most of the city is better protected today than before Katrina, but the job isn't finished.

Meanwhile the infrastructure of the country continues to decay and there are many more disasters waiting in the wings. The levees protecting Sacramento are in poor condition. Congress finally authorized $12.5 billion bill this year to improve them. We'll see how many decades that will come to pass.
Old August 23rd, 2013, 02:28 AM
Captain

So why does everyone think that the Federal Governments job is to clean up messes after natural disasters? I have read the Constitution and see no clauses there giving the Federal Government authority to do such things.

First there is personal responsibility! Why would anyone want to endanger their family by living in a city that is a bowl? People had said for years that it wasn't a matter of if, it was when this kind of disaster was going to happen down there.

Second, Where was the state and local responders? Seems to me that it would be their responsibility to handle getting people off their roofs and out of danger. To manage clean up and the like.

Yes, I know that the levee was made by the Army Corps of Engineers and that they should of maintained the levee better but remember, it was a barge breaking loose of it's moorings that caused the damage to the Levee. It was a unforeseeable accident and in my opinion neither President is responsible for Katrina.

Carribean Princess 07
Carnival Valor 08
Carnival Holiday 08
Carnival Triumph 09
Island Princess 09
Carnival Miracle 10
Norwegian Pearl 11
Norwegian Sun 13
Independence of the Seas Feb 14
Carnival Splendor Feb 15
Old August 23rd, 2013, 02:37 AM
Admiral

I tend to doubt there is anything in the Constitution that exempts churches from paying taxes.

or that the Feds have any duty to clean up after terrorist attacks.

or subsidize roads and bridges.
Old August 23rd, 2013, 02:52 AM
Captain

exactly! Time to cut the Federal Government back to their original intent. Provide Defense, Coin money, settle disputes between states!

Carribean Princess 07
Carnival Valor 08
Carnival Holiday 08
Carnival Triumph 09
Island Princess 09
Carnival Miracle 10
Norwegian Pearl 11
Norwegian Sun 13
Carnival Splendor Feb 15
Old August 23rd, 2013, 10:48 AM
Admiral

Perfect. I think Louisiana should keep all their oil and gas and the yankees can freeze to death. NOT. It's the UNITED States.

The original roots of the US were as racist as they could be. No thank you.
Old August 27th, 2013, 06:52 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truck Cruiser View Post
exactly! Time to cut the Federal Government back to their original intent.
The constitution itself says government should "promote the general welfare". What was Hamilton's intent?
Old August 27th, 2013, 09:58 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by venice View Post
Luanne my friend...you are a great litmus test to remind me of why our Country is so divided...we are leaving tomorrow to drive to Washington to be a part of the 50th anniversary of the March on Washington midweek..I would suggest if you watch any of the coverage do so on CSPAN so you will be spared the partisan political coverage on MSNBC and FOX

I will close out this chapter of "Days Of Our Lives" on this thread...If it were not for Bush 43 there would have never been an O'Bama 44 (think about that for a few moments)

I know you will wish me a safe trip...I know you will miss me on these threads for the next few days

I do hope you had a good trip. It was a very worthwhile thing to do. Only 4 little black children killed in Chicago this weekend, including an eleven year old.

I wonder if Dr. King's spirit was in D.C or was he in Chicago weeping over the lost of yet another child.

I didn't watch, because I was out in our community trying to make sure that all our babies had back packs since school started yesterday. By the way, I didn't count who was of what color, as I know that doesn't matter.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old September 6th, 2013, 07:45 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luanne Russo View Post
Only 4 little black children killed . . ..

By the way, I didn't count who was of what color, .

, clearly you didn't! By the way, how many little black children that you didn't count were killed?
Old September 6th, 2013, 09:29 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aidan View Post
, clearly you didn't! By the way, how many little black children that you didn't count were killed?
Why would you set up the quote to make me seem so uncaring. I didn't count the ones, who received back packs.

Of all the stupid smiley things, I hardly think this one deserves one.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old September 7th, 2013, 04:15 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aidan View Post
The constitution itself says government should "promote the general welfare". What was Hamilton's intent?
The original intent of a Federal Government was to intrude as little as possible into the affairs of the States. The few things the Feds are authorized to do is, Secure the borders, provide for a common defense, Coin money, settle disputes between states, negotiate trade agreements, set tariffs and excise taxes.

The Constitution is a document to restrain the Federal Government from overstepping their bounds and trampling on the rights of the people and states.

Carribean Princess 07
Carnival Valor 08
Carnival Holiday 08
Carnival Triumph 09
Island Princess 09
Carnival Miracle 10
Norwegian Pearl 11
Norwegian Sun 13
Carnival Splendor Feb 15
Old September 7th, 2013, 01:29 PM
Admiral

So somehow the Constitution is now to blame for Hurricane Katrina? What nonsense.
Old September 9th, 2013, 01:09 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by zydecocruiser View Post
So somehow the Constitution is now to blame for Hurricane Katrina? What nonsense.
How did you get that from what I wrote???? If you really want to know who is responsible for Katrina then the answer would be God, because he is in control of Nature!

Carribean Princess 07
Carnival Valor 08
Carnival Holiday 08
Carnival Triumph 09
Island Princess 09
Carnival Miracle 10
Norwegian Pearl 11
Norwegian Sun 13
Carnival Splendor Feb 15
Old September 10th, 2013, 01:56 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truck Cruiser View Post
How did you get that from what I wrote???? If you really want to know who is responsible for Katrina then the answer would be God, because he is in control of Nature!
Actually what I got from your post was an attempted threadjack. Just thought I would bring up the original topic again.

Your God or mine?