Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Open Debate
Register Forgot Password?

Open Debate The only forum to discuss politics and religion. Please keep it civil.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old October 27th, 2013, 12:36 PM
Paul B's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 2,843
Default Obama Care Screwups

Obama stated that you can keep your own doctor ( you may not be able to), it would be cheaper ( nope ,more expensive) and easy to sign up for ( boy was that a lie). How long will it be before some of you seek to blame, the Tea Party, Senator Ted Cruz or the state of Texas for all the teeny tiny glitches?
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old October 27th, 2013, 03:06 PM
Donna's Avatar
Moderator
Admiral
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: on my computer
Posts: 26,526
Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default

I believe this whole Obamacare should of been more fine tuned before any launch, to avoid all the problems, including the web-site...Way too rushed, and talk about confusing?? I would like to check more of the available options, but you can't even do that without giving all your information, what is up with that??
__________________

Message Boards Moderator
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old October 27th, 2013, 03:08 PM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: new orleans, la
Posts: 7,074
Default

Well, working with my BCBS sales person, we were able to sign me up, I keep the same coverage and Doctors and prescription coverage as I had with my self insured policy with them, I qualify for tax rebate that actually lowers my monthly premium then what I was paying currently because BCBS can longer charge the premium due to my pre existing conditions and under the ACA there is no longrr a lifetime "cap"

No question the roll out was a nightmare, but technical stuff can be fixed...once folks can gain access to the marketplace (depending upon your state and whether it is one operated by the state or federal, I live in Louisiana, so guess which one we have) they can see their options...I've yet to speak to anyone that has been denied coverage (due to pre existing conditions or lost of employment and lapse coverage of 61 days or more) or those who are self employed and must pay for their own health insurance, or have a special needs child (i.,e. Autisum, where health companies refuse to cover), that are not optimistic to try to make ACA work

The question that I always ask...the Republicans have yet to offer to the American public, a written plan that is their alternative to ACA...you don't throw the baby out with the bathwater unless you have a better bathtub...they have had over 6 years to put one together...There is no State Gov that wants to be in the health insurance business...folks forget that the architects for ACA were the top point staff folks that then Gov Rommney had in Mass. I could never figure out why he ran away from that model that is functional....fyi, the Government is already in the health insurance business...ask anyone over 50, who lost their job at a major Fortune 500 job (Enron, Worldcom, legacy air carriers etc.) and the pension program was turned over to the Federal Government what PBGC & HCTC mean to them

The massive recession we are just coming out of, has exposed the flaws of having an employer based health insurance program..retirement wealth in 401K's and IRA's have disappeared, homes have been foreclosed on that will have long term repercussions..ACA should provide a framework, rather then lightning rod for politicians to work together
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old October 28th, 2013, 02:16 AM
AR AR is offline
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 2,479
Default

Just one quibble, Venice. Those who left their 401s and IRAs alone have essentially been made whole. I feel sorry for those who had to cash them in to pay the mortgage. But I'm not particularly sorry for those who bought more house than they could afford. Yes, the banks were and are crooks, but caveat emptor still applies. Those who cashed in their retirement funds simply because they thought the sky was falling got what they deserved. It's why Social Security should not be privatized. The great majority of Americans cannot be trusted to handle their finances properly. For the most part that's their problem, except when their poor decisions make them a burden on society.

I'm a liberal when it comes to the truly needy. When it comes to those who are greedy and make bad decisions as a result, and those who have money and don't take the trouble to learn to manage it, not so much.
__________________
The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place. -- George Bernard Shaw
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old October 28th, 2013, 02:28 AM
AR AR is offline
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 2,479
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul B View Post
Obama stated that you can keep your own doctor ( you may not be able to), it would be cheaper ( nope ,more expensive) and easy to sign up for ( boy was that a lie). How long will it be before some of you seek to blame, the Tea Party, Senator Ted Cruz or the state of Texas for all the teeny tiny glitches?
Hey Paul, when I do that you'll have a perfect right to criticize, but not until. Despite what you think, progressives are not fools, and most of us deplore the computer problems as much as you do.

This is not a game of offsets. The computer idiots do not cancel out the Texas idiots. Nor do the computer problems have anything to do with theACA per se. Venice has already called your claims into serious question.
__________________
The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place. -- George Bernard Shaw
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old October 28th, 2013, 04:46 AM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: new orleans, la
Posts: 7,074
Default

The usual playbook in crisis management is to acknowledge the screw up and take responsibility at the front end, don't point fingers and blame (plenty of time for that later) fix the problem, soft beta test the solution to make sure it works before saying it is fixed (many folks will find out before an announcement) apologize and tell folks exactly what happen, how you fixed it, safeguards to make sure it does not happen going forth, based upon when the system is up and running, then decide how much longer to extend the enrollment process....the key is for the folks who were able to enroll to date, is to make sure their coverage does in fact start Jan 1st and then as consumers come online it becomes a rolling enrollment....knowing that the folks who don't want to see ACA implemented will continue to launch a firestorm attack should not distract from the mission of fixing the problem...many of the health insurance carriers who are in the exchange are trying to modified their websites so that a person could enroll thru their website working with their representative as opposed to going thru the Federal government...I'm sure this will be studied in graduate schools...I read an article that suggest welcome to the electronic Dr waiting room
The current Republican strategy in the upcoming hearings is to attack the website and the POTUS, and try to back door their recent shutdown failed strategy...no secret they wanted the law to delay a year (the original tactic)in the hope of regaining the Senate...the risk in that strategy is when the technical glitches are fixed,they would have to attack the "bones" of the law...a very hard sale to the 50M Americans who don't currently have affordable health coverage (if any) the better long term strategy is to provide an alternative plan thus being perceived as solution oriented as opposed to obstructionist...I have been doing some research, the Republican party in the 30's was against forming Social Security (following the Great Recession) and fought POTUS Roosevelt tooth and nail...most senior citizens today are glad to have that safety net and glad it wasn't privitized...
AR...most folks I know in that situation did so as a last resort..I have friends that worked for Enron etc., and alot were encouraged by company executives to have 401K's heavily invested in the company stock...not a smart move in retrospect
Paul..in many ways Senator Cruz reminds me of the late Senator Barry Goldwater, but that's a topic for another thread...the hearings next week will be must see cable tv...when you watch it think about the folks that the law was designed for and ask yourself what will be the alternative for them and why in 6 years has not the Republicans present a plan (they would look good now if they had)yi the law's name is Affordable Health Care not "ObamaCare"
and based upon the basic premise that the Republicans were trying to champion in the 90's and Gov Romney was able to craft in Mass....I am sure the writers at Comedy Central Daily Show & Colbert Report are working overtime to find footage from that era
I really look forward to PBS Frontline doing a profile on Senator Ted Cruz and the Health Care Debate..my experience based upon the 2012 program about the 2012 election was it was very objective for both sides
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old October 28th, 2013, 11:04 AM
AR AR is offline
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 2,479
Default

Venice--

You won't find the righties here watching Frontline. Not gonna happen.

Great post though.

Your note about people at Enron dumping most or all of their retirement cash into company stock is a perfect example of the point I was making. From the time I started investing in the 60s, every single book I've ever read, advisor I've ever known has warned against doing this for all the obvious reasons. And yet so many of the best and the brightest at Enron marched gleefully off the cliff because they were greedy and drunk on the smell of their own cork.

Tough to feel sorry for them.
__________________
The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place. -- George Bernard Shaw
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old October 28th, 2013, 11:24 AM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 11,518
Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo
Default

Bottom line is that this plan has a few mistakes. If it is going to work, all of the problems need to be worked out.

I wish that politics had not gotten involved, and the plan not have been put into place, before it was ready.

I wonder what would have happened if all the money spent on the web site, advertising, had been used to purchase insurance for those who didn't have it.

I guess history will tell us what was really going on, behind the political curtain.
__________________
Ecstasy 2005
Conquest 2005
Elation 2005
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old October 28th, 2013, 01:57 PM
Paul B's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 2,843
Default

I am not opposed to Obamacare because it has affected me in any way, at least, not yet. I am retired with a Medicare HMO and Tricare Prime for my military service. I am opposed because any bill of thousands of pages which no one in congress had read was passed, in a snowstorm in the middle of the night by one political party with no input from the other. I also believe that no one should be forced to purchase something that they do not want or forced to pay a penalty if they refuse.

I really do hope that Obamacare does work. However, if the screwups with enrolling are any indication of how our government manages things, then we may be in for some unpleasant surprises. I really do wish for our government to function properly, but I fear that our continuing deficit spending and our growing national debt will eventually lead to hyper inflation. Then, everyone will suffer.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old October 28th, 2013, 02:35 PM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: new orleans, la
Posts: 7,074
Default

Paul, I understand and appreciate your perspective...both when Clinton tried to do healthcare in the 90's and then Obama in 2008, both parties were invited to the table and both times one party refused...
To drive a vehicle on the road, you must have car insurance...as part of your insurance you pay a big chunk to cover uninsured motorist..Louisiana has the highest car insurance rate in the nation and also the highest number of uninsured motorist, so there is a connection that like it or not, we all pay a penalty for those that refuse to get car insurance (or cancel after they pay their 1st month's premium)
Nobody on either political spectrum wants the Government to run anything, however, when left to their own accord, private enterprise often goes corrupt...health insurance companies operated their own kingdom (with the help of powerful lobbying groups) and decided whom and how to exclude...that may work in some areas but one should never play politics with one's health...however, we have all observed people that have very reckless health habits that our nation winds up paying for (smoking is a classic example as is exercise)
This past Saturday to honor my dear friend who died of Breast Cancer, I did their annual walk...under ACA women can now have several pro active preventative test done that were not covered before that could save lives..so many women who were denied or could not afford insurance would have been alive if it was found early in a check up
The politics are pretty clear, all one has to do is follow the $$$$ trail...the ACA law is much like the Social Security law of the 1930's...it's a huge paradym shift...I was not aware of how recent the Medicare program has been in effect and signed by a Republican POTUS...times sure have changed
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old October 28th, 2013, 03:46 PM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: new orleans, la
Posts: 7,074
Default

Luanne..it's not like folks are looking for someone to purchase it for them.they will gladly pay for it probably at the 7 1/2% ratio of income that is on Schedule A of our tax form..it's if you are not in an employer provided or military provided or group based program, or have pre existing conditions and switch jobs or the biggest group are working Americans (WalMart, McDonald's, alot of small businesses or upstarts etc) who's employer does not offer a policy (or only catistrophic with a $12,000 plus deductible before it kicks in) and cannot afford to pay the high price of being self insured....the current trend is corporations trying to unload health cost on to active workers or retirees who are not yet 65 (or in the case of union shops, pay the unions to administer the health program)...there has been a long standing program on corporate American where an employee has a health care account, they can put aside pre tax dollars every year to help cover cost towards one's deductible or not cover under the policy...ACA is designed to provide that same type of coverage to 15-20% of Americans who are not in the establish umbrella's
The era of company's providing life time pensions and health insurance is shrinking...in a cost savings trend, several corporations have advised their retirees that once they are eligible to be covered under MediCare, they will be dropped from their companies plan...or like UPS just amnouned if both spouses job provides health insurance, they will no longer cover the spouse that is not employed by UPS...Senator Cruz would be in for an awakening if Goldman Saks adapted that policy...my son assures me that since he has been in for 20 years he's ok, but Jim might be able to share with you about changes for new enlistees going forward...everyone on Capital Hill needs to notch down the noise about 3 octives and work together to solve this..the Achilles Tendon of the Republican Party is their blind hatred of our current POTUS (I've yet to figure out why)..the "no to everything Obama" strategy didn't work to prevent a second term..the Democrats are not without blame either...most Americans in their political beliefs are really a mixed bag, conservative in some areas, liberal in others..we expect our elected officials regardless of party to reflect that mixture and find ways to compromise and govern..it's the extreme wings of both parties who want it all their way or nothing that has caused this loggerjam..today's Republican's Conservative Southern Tea Party base wing is really yesterday's Dixiecrats who defected to the Republican Party because POTUS Johnson signed the 1965 Voting Rights Act
The next big battle is Immigration..that will determine which party will sit in the White House..I am so glad I will be on my Jazz Cruise in 3 days so I will miss all the fallout from the ACA hearings...My prayer is when zi return on the 12th the website will work
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old November 6th, 2013, 12:15 PM
zydecocruiser's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,934
Default

Maybe if a few terrorists would quit trying to sabotage a law that Congress wrote, the implementation would be smoother. Just a thought.
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old November 7th, 2013, 02:20 AM
Truck Cruiser's Avatar
Senior Member
Captain
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 836
Default

There is a big difference between auto insurance and the ACA!
1. no one is forced to drive a car!
2. Some states have or had no fault insurance which states that your insurance pays for your car repairs regardless of who is at fault, insurance like this mitigates that everyone have insurance.
3. Hospital emergency rooms are forced by law to accept everyone who walks through their doors regardless of the ability to pay. Instead of deleting this law, which has driven health care prices through the roof, our federal overlords decided to make everyone get insurance or penalize them.

If health care is a right, then we should all receive Food, Water and housing as a right because these are more essential to ones health then heath care is! This is the slippery slope of communism, my friend, who was raised and lived in Romania under a communist regime, assures me that this is where this is all headed!
__________________
Live life to the fullest because tomorrow may never come!

Carribean Princess 07
Carnival Valor 08
Carnival Holiday 08
Carnival Triumph 09
Island Princess 09
Carnival Miracle 10
Norwegian Pearl 11
Norwegian Sun 13
Independence of the Seas Feb 14
Carnival Splendor Feb 15
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old November 7th, 2013, 12:44 PM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 11,518
Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zydecocruiser View Post
Maybe if a few terrorists would quit trying to sabotage a law that Congress wrote, the implementation would be smoother. Just a thought.
Z This statement is so disappointing to me. You appear to be a very intelligent man, but when you say these things, you cause us to not pay attention to what you say afterwards.

People on both sides admit this bill is full of problems.
__________________
Ecstasy 2005
Conquest 2005
Elation 2005
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old November 7th, 2013, 03:04 PM
zydecocruiser's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,934
Default

The biggest problems are alarmists and false prophets and the false pretenses under which they attack the best piece of legislation to come from Congress in decades.

I already know they are incapable of listening to anyone who supports the law and will continue to claim the sky is falling long after it is proven that it is not.
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old November 7th, 2013, 03:08 PM
zydecocruiser's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,934
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truck Cruiser View Post
There is a big difference between auto insurance and the ACA!
1. no one is forced to drive a car!
2. Some states have or had no fault insurance which states that your insurance pays for your car repairs regardless of who is at fault, insurance like this mitigates that everyone have insurance.
3. Hospital emergency rooms are forced by law to accept everyone who walks through their doors regardless of the ability to pay. Instead of deleting this law, which has driven health care prices through the roof, our federal overlords decided to make everyone get insurance or penalize them.

If health care is a right, then we should all receive Food, Water and housing as a right because these are more essential to ones health then heath care is! This is the slippery slope of communism, my friend, who was raised and lived in Romania under a communist regime, assures me that this is where this is all headed!
Is your Romanian friend named Joe Alarmist?

Are Canada, England, Germany and the rest of the world communist or headed for communism? NO is the correct answer.
Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old November 7th, 2013, 06:14 PM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 11,518
Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zydecocruiser View Post
The biggest problems are alarmists and false prophets and the false pretenses under which they attack the best piece of legislation to come from Congress in decades.

I already know they are incapable of listening to anyone who supports the law and will continue to claim the sky is falling long after it is proven that it is not.

Are you watching the hearings? The news? It's a mess!!! I agree we need something in this country, but this is crap, and even the Dems know it now.
__________________
Ecstasy 2005
Conquest 2005
Elation 2005
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old November 8th, 2013, 01:39 PM
zydecocruiser's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,934
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luanne Russo View Post
Are you watching the hearings? The news? It's a mess!!! I agree we need something in this country, but this is crap, and even the Dems know it now.
Politicians politicking - now that's crap.

The Republican solution to everything - let's do nothing. Now that's crap.

If you don't like Obamacare, first fix Congress - they're the ones that wrote it. It could have been so simple, so easy. Instead the Republicans have attempted to sabotage it from day 1 and continue to this day.

Looking forward to even more Republicans getting booted in the next election.
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old November 8th, 2013, 07:26 PM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 11,518
Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zydecocruiser View Post
Politicians politicking - now that's crap.

The Republican solution to everything - let's do nothing. Now that's crap.

If you don't like Obamacare, first fix Congress - they're the ones that wrote it. It could have been so simple, so easy. Instead the Republicans have attempted to sabotage it from day 1 and continue to this day.

Looking forward to even more Republicans getting booted in the next election.
Oh I think that is wishful thinking. Get rid of Obama care, get rid of the nuts who wrote it.
__________________
Ecstasy 2005
Conquest 2005
Elation 2005
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old November 8th, 2013, 08:23 PM
Senior Member
First Mate
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Southern New Hampshire
Posts: 321
Default

On the news just a few minutes ago: three guys in California, over last weekend, put together a website to do what the multi-million dollar government one doesn't. You enter your zipcode, and the site lists for you what policies are available, and what they cost.

A couple of evenings later they added a section that lets you calculate what, if any, tax assistance you are eligible for.

You can't sign up through the site, but it does give you contact info for whatever insurance company's program you pick, and you can sign up through it.

The site is, I think, "Healthsherpa.com" or something quite like that. I didn't quite catch it.

Also on the news was the mention that in North Dakota, where 37,000 people have or will receive termination notices, so far 30 have signed up for Obamacare.
Reply With Quote
  #21 (permalink)  
Old November 9th, 2013, 09:58 AM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Palm Coast, Florida
Posts: 19,750
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luanne Russo View Post
Oh I think that is wishful thinking. Get rid of Obama care, get rid of the nuts who wrote it.
While you're at it, get rid of the poor and the un-insured. Why worry about them. The rich folks are doing well and that's all that matters.

TM
__________________
CRUISES
Century 4/1998
Mercury 4/2000+4/2006+7/2007
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013
Booked Allure of the Seas....12/27/2015
Reply With Quote
  #22 (permalink)  
Old November 9th, 2013, 10:22 AM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 11,518
Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel View Post
While you're at it, get rid of the poor and the un-insured. Why worry about them. The rich folks are doing well and that's all that matters.

TM
That is the most hurtful thing you could say to me. You know me well enough to know that is not what I mean.

This is the reason why people won't post here. They would prefer not to be attacked for opinions.
__________________
Ecstasy 2005
Conquest 2005
Elation 2005
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Reply With Quote
  #23 (permalink)  
Old November 9th, 2013, 11:57 PM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Palm Coast, Florida
Posts: 19,750
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luanne Russo View Post
That is the most hurtful thing you could say to me. You know me well enough to know that is not what I mean.

.
I did not mean to offend anyone. It's just what I see, poor people un-insured, their food stamps cut-off and the rich getting richer.
Luanne, I know that you don't make the laws, but it's pretty sad the way poor people are treated in this country.

Jobs are sent overseas so that the rich can make more profits and now we can't even give some hope to the poor that they can get some kind of healthcare.

TM
__________________
CRUISES
Century 4/1998
Mercury 4/2000+4/2006+7/2007
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013
Booked Allure of the Seas....12/27/2015
Reply With Quote
  #24 (permalink)  
Old November 10th, 2013, 11:15 AM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 11,518
Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo
Default

This law is hurting middle class people. The poor will be taken care of with Medicaid. The rich will be able to afford any deductibles. The middle class is already having problems.

I agree something needed to be done, but this is as Demo. Backus said, "A train wreak."
__________________
Ecstasy 2005
Conquest 2005
Elation 2005
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Reply With Quote
  #25 (permalink)  
Old November 10th, 2013, 01:22 PM
AR AR is offline
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 2,479
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luanne Russo View Post
This law is hurting middle class people. The poor will be taken care of with Medicaid. The rich will be able to afford any deductibles. The middle class is already having problems.

I agree something needed to be done, but this is as Demo. Backus said, "A train wreak."
The law can't hurt very many middle class people, because there are no longer very many middle class people.

I urge everyone to watch this video if you doubt it. . .and even if you don't. It is the most lucid and on-point chalk-talk I've seen in ages.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPKKQnijnsM&feature=share

And Luanne, I hope that especially you will watch it, because it speaks directly to why your views work directly at odds with your self-interest. You will see why the people you support and vote for (e.g. Mittens Romney) make multi-millions, in large measure because of the tax breaks you champion, while the "middle class" that you advocate for so strongly has already virtually disappeared, and what there is of it already pays little or no tax.

It is also why those who claim that we are headed for some form of socialism or communism make me laugh so hard. Quite the opposite, to say the least.
__________________
The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place. -- George Bernard Shaw

Last edited by AR; November 10th, 2013 at 01:39 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #26 (permalink)  
Old November 10th, 2013, 03:05 PM
zydecocruiser's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,934
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luanne Russo View Post
This law is hurting middle class people. The poor will be taken care of with Medicaid. The rich will be able to afford any deductibles. The middle class is already having problems.

I agree something needed to be done, but this is as Demo. Backus said, "A train wreak."
Of course something needed to be done. Obama was the first to come along with enough leadership and resolve to get it done. Playing politics is not a solution.

The poor will NOT be taken care of with Medicaid. Even though authorized to do so, a number of idiot governors (including Jindal) refuse to expand the Medicaid program in their states, resulting in millions going without coverage.

This is just one reason why these sort of decisions need to be taken away from states.
Reply With Quote
  #27 (permalink)  
Old November 10th, 2013, 05:52 PM
AR AR is offline
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 2,479
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zydecocruiser View Post
Even though authorized to do so, a number of idiot governors (including Jindal) refuse to expand the Medicaid program in their states, resulting in millions going without coverage.

This is just one reason why these sort of decisions need to be taken away from states.
And those with short memories have already forgotten that the original idea was to not let the states decide that question, on the simple grounds that it would lead to chaos and be inimical to the success of the program, which success is based on strong participation. But that was not allowed to happen, we have the chaos, and the success of the program is in danger as a result.
__________________
The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place. -- George Bernard Shaw
Reply With Quote
  #28 (permalink)  
Old November 10th, 2013, 07:44 PM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 11,518
Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo
Default

AR I did watch it, but don't understand why it relates to this thread.

I do have a few questions for you Z, and AR. Why did he have to lie? You know he did, because it is on tape. Did he lie because it was before an election, and he might not have won? What else he said was a lie?

Why did he think that taking away medical care for hard working Americans was the answer? Wouldn't it have not been better to change the regulations, so that the good things of ACA could move forward, but not hurt those who already had insurance.

Is he more interested in making things right, or to not back down, when so many on both sides said as it was written, it wouldn't work.

Anyone who has kept up with the news, knows he has lied many times. Can we trust someone who doesn't know the truth?

One more thing. AR I could care less what others make. They might have stolen, or maybe they worked hard for it, but it doesn't bother me. I have never been full of money envy.

I do care for those in my home, those in my family, and those around me. I care for the child who will go to bed hungry tonight. I cry for the man who is not lazy, but can't find a job to feed his family. I care about the soldier, who has to take off work, to go to the food stamp office to feed his or her family. I care about the woman, or man who had medical care to handle the cancer that was eating their bodies, but now get letters saying they will be cut off, and looking at the new plans, can't afford it.

Five years of this gentlemen. Can we afford three more?

I don't live in an ivory tower. I am down here with the peasants. They are hurting and nobody seems to care anymore.

You mention Romney. Why???? He lost the race. He is gone. What a fricking waste of time. Let's talk about what we are going to do to get people back to work. To restore the medical care that is being lost.
__________________
Ecstasy 2005
Conquest 2005
Elation 2005
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Reply With Quote
  #29 (permalink)  
Old November 10th, 2013, 08:43 PM
AR AR is offline
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 2,479
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luanne Russo View Post
AR I did watch it, but don't understand why it relates to this thread.
It relates to the thread, because YOU said that the middle class is getting hurt. The point of the video and of what I said is that it's tough to hurt something that for practical purposes doesn't exist any more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luanne Russo View Post
I do have a few questions for you Z, and AR. Why did he have to lie? You know he did, because it is on tape. Did he lie because it was before an election, and he might not have won? What else he said was a lie?
How the hell would I know the answer to that? Of course he lied. He shouldn't have lied, nor should all the presidents before him who lied, and all those who will follow who will also lie. But of course those who came before and those yet to come are not Barack Obama. Somehow, he's different. I can't put my finger on why, but he just is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luanne Russo View Post
Why did he think that taking away medical care for hard working Americans was the answer? Wouldn't it have not been better to change the regulations, so that the good things of ACA could move forward, but not hurt those who already had insurance.
Oh cut out the "hard-working Americans" stuff. You're talking about people, hard-working and not hard-working, who have junk policies that are nothing more than insurance company scams. If you know people who "like" their junk policies you can be sure of one thing: they've never filed a serious claim on them, because their coverage is pathetic and the insurance companies routinely try to weasel out of the scant coverage they should be providing on them. The president should have made it abundantly clear that these policies would be deep-sixed. But it's just as true that cancelling them makes perfectly good sense, and the sooner the better. Because keeping them in force would mean that when the people who hold them need serious medical care, they'd have to rely on the kindness of strangers to get it, because the policies sure as hell wouldn't cover it. As a practical matter, these policies are the same thing as being uninsured, whether or not the customers "like" them. And, what everybody seems to miss is the fact that the crooked insurance companies didn't generally send the ACA options as alternatives when they sent the cancellation letters. Plus, the people who have the junk policies are the very ones who are most likely to qualify for the largest premium subsidies under ACA, meaning that on a net basis they'll get far more coverage for about the same money when the dust settles. Are you part of this group that has junk policies that are being cancelled? Or are you just championing the cause of your fellow downtrodden souls?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luanne Russo View Post
Is he more interested in making things right, or to not back down, when so many on both sides said as it was written, it wouldn't work.
He's more interested in making things right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luanne Russo View Post
Anyone who has kept up with the news, knows he has lied many times. Can we trust someone who doesn't know the truth?
We can, but we know you can't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luanne Russo View Post
One more thing. AR I could care less what others make. They might have stolen, or maybe they worked hard for it, but it doesn't bother me. I have never been full of money envy.
It's not about money envy. It's about the disappearance of the middle class. It's the Robin Hood-in-reverse situation that we face. You soooo don't get it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luanne Russo View Post
I do care for those in my home, those in my family, and those around me. I care for the child who will go to bed hungry tonight. I cry for the man who is not lazy, but can't find a job to feed his family. I care about the soldier, who has to take off work, to go to the food stamp office to feed his or her family. I care about the woman, or man who had medical care to handle the cancer that was eating their bodies, but now get letters saying they will be cut off, and looking at the new plans, can't afford it.
Well, if you care about all those people, then you'd better care about that video I posted, because it explains why there are so many of them now, and why there will continue to be so many more. And please let me know about that cancer victim whose treatment is being covered by a junk policy, because that's just not happening anyplace except in your imagination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luanne Russo View Post
Five years of this gentlemen. Can we afford three more?
Sounds ominous. What are you suggesting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luanne Russo View Post
I don't live in an ivory tower. I am down here with the peasants. They are hurting and nobody seems to care anymore.
A lot of us care. But you won't listen and like so many others, you won't take "yes" for an answer. You may have forgotten that I have told you a number of times that from my "ivory tower" I would be happy to pay more in taxes, and while I don't wear it on my sleeve but I'll put our charitable giving up against anybody's. So cut the poormouth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luanne Russo View Post
You mention Romney. Why???? He lost the race. He is gone. What a fricking waste of time. Let's talk about what we are going to do to get people back to work. To restore the medical care that is being lost.
Let me tell you what a fricking waste of time is: a fricking waste of time is the likes of you moaning and groaning endlessly about the ACA, especially when I'd be surprised if it even affects you. It is settled law, it is being implemented despite gargantuan failed efforts to stop it. Why not just cool your jets and let's see what happens in the intermediate term. It's a messy law because it was invented by committee. It will need refinement. The computer thing is a travesty. And the president should have pointed out the narrow exception to the "keep your policy" statement and should have said that you can "keep your policy unless it's crappy and useless."

But it is also our best hope for a decent system, as z and others have pointed out.
__________________
The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place. -- George Bernard Shaw

Last edited by AR; November 10th, 2013 at 09:02 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #30 (permalink)  
Old November 11th, 2013, 12:14 AM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 11,518
Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo
Default

I wish one day you could meet my brother. Hard working, owned own business, and helped develop part of the Atlanta skyline.

He has cancer. His policy brought him through, with the best of doctors. He received his notice this week. He has been cancelled, because his policy doesn't have maternity care. My brother and sister in law are well into their 50's

The most important of his two doctors are not going to participate in the new health care law.

Do you read back over what you write? Do you realize you were so disrespectful to me, with your words. Just because my opinion is not yours doesn't mean that you can or should speak to me that way.

I hope you are right, AR. I hope I am wrong.
__________________
Ecstasy 2005
Conquest 2005
Elation 2005
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Obama Care and Planned Parenthood Luanne Russo Open Debate 3 October 19th, 2012 11:59 PM
I Could Care Less, About.....But....... Trip All Things Cruising 20 October 1st, 2008 03:20 PM
Take Care Everyone Luanne Russo Carnival Cruise Lines 21 July 8th, 2006 12:27 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


 

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:56 AM.
design by: Themes by Design

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1