Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Open Debate
Register Forgot Password?

Open Debate The only forum to discuss politics and religion. Please keep it civil.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 20th, 2013, 05:02 PM
Admiral

Default Making the Afforable Care Act Work

Personally, I've got no horse in the ACA race. I'm on Medicare with a good Medigap plan and a good Part D plan, and none of them are going to change.

So, mostly, I've been listening to the tales of those who are investigating their options under the ACA. After a few weeks, and despite all the screw-ups with the website, I've figured out the best way for people to be successful in their quest for a cheaper, better policy. . .

Be a liberal!

Seriously. All the conservatives and tea party types I meet and hear from, including here, are regaling me with tales of woe about how they or their families will be nicked for thousands and thousands of additional premium dollars in order to lock up a new deal. These stories are often sprinkled with such phrases as "Communist rat bast***s" and the like. 100% of my conservative friends and acquaintances and/or their relatives will apparently have to pay much, much more for their health care than they pay now. Literally.

On the other hand, my liberal friends and correspondents are scoring big. They seem to have overcome the technical challenges, found ways to access and compare the options available, and sign up for new policies at greatly reduced rates. The latest example is this note today from my liberal friend Scott. . .

Well we did it! After a week of researching on healthcare.gov without any problems, we have enrolled and paid for a health insurance policy through the Affordable Care Act (Obamacare) and in doing so, cut our monthly health insurance bill in half!!!! Boo to the naysayers!

I've heard this same refrain from a number of other leftie pals. I don't know what the reason is, but clearly you have a much better chance of a good outcome with the ACA if you're a liberal!

So if you're having trouble getting on the website or getting a good deal on a policy, I think the solution is clear.

Turn left at the next intersection!!
Old November 20th, 2013, 10:25 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

Please ask you friend how he was able to pay his first payment, since that particular program hasn't been built yet. Did he pay directly to the insurance company?

If he did, that would be great info to put out here, as I have had e-mails asking what to do.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old November 21st, 2013, 12:15 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luanne Russo View Post
Please ask you friend how he was able to pay his first payment, since that particular program hasn't been built yet. Did he pay directly to the insurance company?

If he did, that would be great info to put out here, as I have had e-mails asking what to do.
I reached out to Scott and asked him your question. The verbatim response:

Yes AR, we paid via the website. I was expecting problems and was surprised at how straightforward it was.

So, based on his experience, it looks like you just follow your nose and make it happen. Also, this note just in from pal Jana. . .

We signed up and our premiums went from $750 a month to $450. And the new policy has a lower deductible and lower copay.

You know, I obviously did the OP partly in fun. But the embedded truth in it is that if you approach a task with a positive attitude you're much more likely to have a good outcome than if you begin by expecting failure.

I predict that the next round of complaining will take hold on the first of the month when some people are still having trouble. And I'm the first to agree that there may still be some real glitches then, but when you hear all the complaining, remember this:

Many of the critics have been saying that getting your new policy should be as easy as ordering a book from amazon. But there is a HUGE swath of Americans today who couldn't order a book from amazon if their lives depended on it. This is not the fault of amazon's website any more than it will be the fault of the repaired ACA website. Lots of people are to varying degrees, computer illiterate, illogical, mathematically challenged, flat stupid, and/or expecting failure in order to make a political point.

The anecdotal bellyaching will not stop and we should not expect it to.
Old November 21st, 2013, 05:39 PM
Admiral

That is good news, but leads to more questions.

I watched the hearings yesterday, and Mr. Cho the head IT man said that one of the things that needed to be set up was the payment process.

Did your friend have worries about the fact that the hackers are already in the site, both good and bad, and the trouble shooters themselves testified they would not put in their own info?

I personally like the good news stories.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old November 21st, 2013, 08:50 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luanne Russo View Post
That is good news, but leads to more questions.

I watched the hearings yesterday, and Mr. Cho the head IT man said that one of the things that needed to be set up was the payment process.

Did your friend have worries about the fact that the hackers are already in the site, both good and bad, and the trouble shooters themselves testified they would not put in their own info?

I personally like the good news stories.
I didn't cross examine him and I don't intend to. He's happy with his experience on the website and with the policy he got, I've known him for decades and I know him to be a smart, level-headed, honest guy.

There are hackers in every site. If your people are scared, they should use the phone or go into one of the walk-in places.

There will always be reasons to complain, and I trust that you'll keep us up to date on all of them, even as you rejoice for those who are making the system work for them.
Old November 22nd, 2013, 02:30 AM
Admiral

Again, mean and nasty to me. How was I suppose to know how much was discussed?

People learn by asking questions.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old November 22nd, 2013, 04:07 PM
Admiral

There is an area that asked if you received help and I input my BCBS Rep along with an ID # she gave me...once I finished the process and was given a confirmation #, I emailed her, she confirmed BCBS had my policy selection, I called her up and gave her my CC and paid for the year, effective Jan 1st...Because I am retired and on a fix income, I qualified for the tax credit and my accountant is waiting to understand the process when the ACA folks verify income

Again, the key to this process, as Paul knows, if you are self insured, is working with your current Health insurer..with her help,I knew exactly which plan to choose when I enrolled..I was able to upgrade coverage from my current policy (which would normally be up for renewal eff 12/31 anyway), lower my monthly premium, improve dental, keep my same doctors and hospital network and prescription coverage ,lower my annual out of pocket
I actually wrote BCBS and my US Senator a letter complimenting my BCBS rep...she was very pro active in this process, every step of the way...social media, not cable tv or partisian political hearings will spread the success stories...but I do understand the confusion if you had no coverage or want to switch Health providers...Most folks have health insurance thru their job and really don't understand the true cost, or the poor coverage, until they lose their job and coverage or have a major operation and learn 2 phrases...pre existing conditions and lifetime cap..under ACA those terms no longer apply

I concur with AR..the actual folks who the ACA was designed to serve are staying positive and are starting to achieve success in enrolling...folks who have no dog in this fight or are in political opposition will continue to try to undercut it...the rollout was horrible, the opposition was well funded and effective in misdirection and outright false premises..I bet as enrollment starts to increase ,the numbers by ZIP code should tell an interesting story

I have been reading about the introduction of Social Security in the 1930's following the Great Depression and the tremendous opposition to POTUS Roosevelt from the other Party....some things don't change...