Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Open Debate
Register Forgot Password?

Open Debate The only forum to discuss politics and religion. Please keep it civil.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 4th, 2014, 11:52 AM
Admiral

Default The difference between Terri Schiavo and Jahi McMath

Terri Schiavo was never declared brain dead she was in a persistent vegetative state. Jahi McMath has been declared brain dead. There are strict guidelines to what Brain Dead is. In fact I believe they changed due to Zack Dunlap in 2007. He has a PET scan 36 hours after a major car accident and was declared brain dead, but was not. Below is an interesting article explaining Brain Death.
NeuroLogica Blog Brain Dead

When I had surgery I completed a health care directive. The hospital has one and my hubby has a copy. I was lucky and the surgery was fine. But I feel it should be a legal requirement to complete one before any surgery no matter how routine. It is very sad about Jahi McMath and I would request a second opinion if someone I loved was declared brain dead. This case is very different case then Terri Schiavo's case.
Hospital, family agree on transfer of brain-dead girl

The quote below is from a newspaper article.
"Her mother, Nailah Winkfield, believes Jahi is still alive, despite determinations by the hospital and a court-appointed neurologist that she is dead." What we have is a heart broken mother who can't accept her daughter's condition. I feel very sad for this family.

My co worker said people had come back for being brain dead and it made me wonder and want to know more. What I discovered is people don't come back for being brain dead. I will update my health care directive to require a second opinion of brain death. At that point they can harvest my organs and save other people's lives. I would like that very much to know that my death resulted in another person's life being extended. I have a friend that is alive today because of organ donation. Anyway I thought I would share my information. Please feel free to comment or disagree. Your body is your body and you have the right to keep it alive in any state you chose that is why a health care directive is so important. It lets everyone know your wishes. I think if there is any point to my post that is the one I want people to walk away with.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Sponsored Links
Old January 15th, 2014, 04:37 PM
Admiral

Shouldn't this thread be under political discussion. It seems so to me, hmmmmmmm?
Old January 15th, 2014, 09:24 PM
Admiral

It's a total shame what happened to that young girl. I wish her mother could find some peace. Medical directives are very important.
Old January 15th, 2014, 09:59 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Palm View Post
Shouldn't this thread be under political discussion. It seems so to me, hmmmmmmm?
Interesting because the main focus of the original post to get people to complete a health care directive prior to any surgery regardless of age or how simple the surgery is. A health care directive would stop these issues like this young girl and Teri Schiavo my intent was never political. My intent was for people to make their wishes known before emotion and sadness made it impossible to think clearly. Because perception is reality this thread was moved so here we are.

If this was my little girl could I really pull her off the machines or would it feel like I was killing my child. This is the nightmare this mother is dealing with. I couldn't imagine the pain this is causing the family. I can't feel to harshly about this mother at all I can only feel her pain. To me this has nothing to do with politics at all and the congress should keep completely out of it. But seriously every one get a health care directive on file with your doctor.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994