Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Open Debate
Register Forgot Password?

Open Debate The only forum to discuss politics and religion. Please keep it civil.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 4th, 2014, 02:46 PM
First Mate

Default Marijuana will contribute to dumbing down of American youth

In Christian Science Monitor I read about how marjuana has a negative effect on brain development of teenagers.

I then read the following article which reinforced the reasons this marijauna smoking is going to be worse than smoking tobacco and electric cigarettes.

Gary A. Emmett, M.D., Pediatrics Professor- Thomas Jefferson Univ. & Director, Hospital Pediatrics- TJU Hospital
Posted: Thursday, May 16, 2013, 9:21 AM Filed Under: Drugs and Alcohol | Gary A. Emmett | Health Hazards
We often hear marijuana isn’t that dangerous of a drug. In reality, regular use of marijuana may permanently damage a teen’s developing brain – and could lead to a reduction in IQ, other drug use, and mental health issues.

I heard a frightening and eye opening lecture by Dr. Sharon Levy of Children’s Hospital Boston about the effect of marijuana on the developing brain earlier this month at the Pediatric Academic Societies meeting in Washington, DC.

Smoking marijuana has all the known side-effects of smoking tobacco except nicotine addiction. So a heavy and early smoker of marijuana is increasing the probability of chronic lung disease and cancer as he or she builds up “pack-years.” But the active ingredients in marijuana are dozens of different cannabinoids of which the best known is THC (tetra-hydro-cannabinol). The effect of these active drugs is at the endocanninoid site (also called the anandamide receptor) in the brain.

The active ingredient of marijuana 15 years ago was 4 percent of the total breathed in, but through careful cross-breeding, cultivators of the plant have achieved an average of 9 percent or more in current available product. Street marijuana is now more than twice as strong as it was 15 years ago.

The cannabinoids affect the brain’s pleasure centers causing relaxation followed by excitation, but because these active drugs are fat-soluable (get into body fat) the relaxation extends for a prolonged time and when the subsequent excitation (acting hyperactively) occurs, the teen does not relate it to using the drug. The same site that cannabanoids act on is the site that organizes the brains cells to act with each other and with the body.

One of the problems with the legalization of marijuana is that it will become even more available to younger smokers. The same way that the legalization of alcohol makes it easily available to teens.

Other effects of early marijuana use are:

1) Early marijuana users have less white matter in their brains and the total size of the brain is smaller. White matter affects how the brain learns and functions.

2) There are less connections of one brain cell to another resulting in slowing thinking

3) Early use is strongly associated with schizophrenia and other psychotic and anxiety disorders. It is very difficult to prove that marijuana causes the disorder or just used as self-treatment.

4) Heavy and/or prolonged use leads to lower IQ’s and serious memory disorders

There are no controlled studies of the effects of marijuana on children or teens, but studies show that early use is very different from use after age 18 years in its long-term effects.

A final note: smoking marijuana leads to poor driving. Teens drive poorly even when not intoxicated. Marijuana stays in the urine for up to 3 weeks. If your teen has an accident (very common) and has marijuana in the urine, he or she may be convicted of driving while intoxicated whether they were intoxicated or not.

I would love to see Michelle Obama start doing a "Just say no to marijuana" would be a good idea.
Sponsored Links
Old January 4th, 2014, 06:47 PM
Admiral

Reminds me of when they were saying tight jeans leads to male sterility. No telling how many pregnancies resulted from that.

I predict munchy food stocks will soar.

Probably as bad, if not worse, for lungs but not sure of any studies.

If they tax it like they could, might mean the end of income tax.
Old January 4th, 2014, 09:01 PM
Admiral

Don't worry about it.

Just be happy and enjoy life.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old January 6th, 2014, 07:50 PM
Admiral

Marijuana will contribute to dumbing down of American youth

This of course assumes that it is possible to further dumb-down American youth.

I know, I know. Cheap shot. Still, the current state of affairs is not encouraging, even without drugs.
Old January 7th, 2014, 06:35 AM
Admiral

Who will star in "Reefer Madness 2 "
Old January 7th, 2014, 07:00 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR View Post
Marijuana will contribute to dumbing down of American youth

This of course assumes that it is possible to further dumb-down American youth.

I know, I know. Cheap shot. Still, the current state of affairs is not encouraging, even without drugs.

You can't blame the current state of affairs on todays youth. The drugs have been around for some time and making them legal will eliminate some dealers from our streets.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old January 7th, 2014, 06:20 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel View Post
You can't blame the current state of affairs on todays youth. The drugs have been around for some time and making them legal will eliminate some dealers from our streets.

TM
Correct. I was obviously referring to the current state of affairs, drugs aside.
Old January 7th, 2014, 06:38 PM
Admiral

I don't know that drugs are responsible for the pants on the ground movement. I think the dumbing down began with the modern GOP and/or religious zealots. How's that for tying up lose ends!
Old January 11th, 2014, 10:20 AM
First Mate

Default Here are your stars: Nine lieutenants and a captain are being investigated for illega

Nine lieutenants and a captain are being investigated for illegal possession of recreational drugs at bases in the U.S. and Britain.

WASHINGTON – An Air Force investigation into alleged drug use in the ranks has expanded to include 10 officers at six bases in the U.S. and Britain.

Nine lieutenants and one captain are being investigated for illegal possession of recreational drugs, Air Force spokesman Lt. Col. Brett Ashworth said Friday. The case began with the investigation of two officers at Edwards Air Force Base in California and quickly widened to several other bases because of the airmen's contacts with others about drug possession, he said.

Related: Drug probe undercuts Hagel's pep talk to nuke force

The probe surfaced Thursday as Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel visited F.E. Warren Air Force Base in Wyoming to give a pep talk to members of the nuclear missile force. Initially, officials revealed that two nuclear launch control officers at Malmstrom Air Force Base in Montana were being investigated for drug use.

On Friday, Ashworth said the probe now includes officers at Edwards and Malmstrom as well as at Schriever Air Force Base in Colorado, Vandenberg Air Force Base in California and Royal Air Force base Lakenheath in eastern England, which hosts U.S. Air Force units and personnel.
Old January 11th, 2014, 01:12 PM
Admiral

Are stoners more likely to actually believe what they read on the Internet, the biggest source of misinformation, ever?
Old January 12th, 2014, 06:54 AM
First Mate

Default I hope these military stoners get the book thrown at them if they are guilty

I don't like the idea of stoners or other heavy drug users having their thumbs
on the controls of nukes. They are just to mellow to respond to real crises.
And I am against mellowed-out and liquor-impaired drivers who kill people with their vehicles. Thank God for the Mothers against drunk drivers.
Old January 12th, 2014, 11:20 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonnyprincecharlie View Post
I don't like the idea of stoners or other heavy drug users having their thumbs
on the controls of nukes. They are just to mellow to respond to real crises.
And I am against mellowed-out and liquor-impaired drivers who kill people with their vehicles. Thank God for the Mothers against drunk drivers.

No problem there. And there should be no problem with having people who get to push buttons on nukes subject to mandatory drug testing. I know for sure that airline pilots are subject to random drug testing, and it really takes place.
Old January 16th, 2014, 01:32 AM
First Mate

You are worried now about the dumbing down of America's youth?

You are way, way too late. It has already happened.

You live in a country where 4 out of 5 people can name the Three Stooges, but only 1 out of 5 can name even 3 of the US Supreme Court Judges.

2 out of 5 Americans still believe that the sun revolves around the earth.
2 out of 5 Americans still believe that the earth is flat.
(I wonder of it is the same 2 out of 5 people in both cases?)

Only 1 out of 5 Americans can name the 3 branches of their government.
Old January 16th, 2014, 10:34 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Chafkin1 View Post
You live in a country where 4 out of 5 people can name the Three Stooges, but only 1 out of 5 can name even 3 of the US Supreme Court Judges.

The Three Stooges and the Supreme Court are so similar that I think this is a distinction without a difference, and people should not be faulted for getting them confused.

OK, another cheap shot, but couldn't resist. Although Scalia has been known to poke Sotomayor in the eye for no apparent reason.
Old January 16th, 2014, 10:37 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Chafkin1 View Post
2 out of 5 Americans still believe that the sun revolves around the earth.

Right. And the other 3 believe that the sun revolves around THEM!
Old January 16th, 2014, 04:38 PM
First Mate

Default FDA has not even ealuated marijuana: stated the Gov of PA

The governor of Pennsylvania raised the point concerning medicinal use of marijuana that the Food and Drug Administration has not even evaluated marijuana. He further contends that it maybe a gateway drug. This is an unbelievable, that the agency given the responsibility to test all the foods and drugs consumed in this country marijuana has not tested marijauna.

Beyond scientific proof on the local scene I see that in Colorado at the airport the TSA is cracking down on persons suspected of carrying marijauna by callling the local police. What a circus. The Federal government wouldn't enforce a law through its drug enforcement group, the TSA will take action agains marijuana carriers. i wonder if the sky marshalls who fly on the airplanes are empowered to arrest a marijuana carrier.
Old January 16th, 2014, 08:53 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonnyprincecharlie View Post
i wonder if the sky marshalls who fly on the airplanes are empowered to arrest a marijuana carrier.

And they'd figure it out how? By using their x-ray vision? I suppose you think that the notion of probable cause is another freedom that can be sacrificed to law and order. By god, if the sky marshal doesn't care for the cut of your jib, it's a strip-search for you Skippy, right there in your middle seat!