Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Open Debate
Register Forgot Password?

Open Debate The only forum to discuss politics and religion. Please keep it civil.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 1st, 2014, 10:48 AM
Captain

Default Crimea new hotspot

It makes you wonder about President Obama when he says he's watching the Russians in Crimea, and he'll do something???????.

"Wow." Putin replies, "Oh maybe you wouldn't come to Russia for the G8 Meeting. Oh yes you didn't come to the Olympics and that really was masterful. Of course you could send the US fleet into the Black Sea. Or maybe you will unleash your NATO allies on my country."

Obama must be sitting with his cabinet and meditating. "We can go it alone in the Ukraine. Let's see we can get the Brites they will come with the US all the time. The Canadians can be counted on for support, if I approve the Keystone pipeline. The French will come along if we give them the trade deal Hollande wants. Forget about the Germans they will demand that we negotiate. Forget about the Italians, they got what they wanted in Libya. I better call the Clintons they will know what to do."

What a mess. I think, If Obama would just sit back and see how things work out rather than making meaningless threats he would be better off. This is a no-win situation that will help to unsettle the economy and jack up gas prices and the price of cruises.
Sponsored Links
Old March 1st, 2014, 12:01 PM
Admiral

The hot spot in Crimea will cool off. They will have a failed economy and violence for some time to come.

It's not the job of people in the United States from the President to the average Citizen to fix problems in Eastern Europe. We need to improve the infrastructure here and take care of our people.
Let other countries live with their own problems.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence 12/29/13
Vision OTS 2-14-2015

Booked Allure of the Seas... 2/21/16 *Last Gang Cruise*
Booked Celebrity Equinox ... 4///4///16
Old March 2nd, 2014, 06:50 AM
Captain

Right on. Let them dig themselves out of the hole they put themselves in. The USA seems to have leadership at present that feels it can be the moral compass and the world's biggest charity distributor in a time when the world's nations suck away the American treasure and at times its manpower for self-serving interests with religious zealots bent on destroying the American society.

Just on another subject I'm reading a book on the American drone program and the interesting point brought up is that American citizens serving in jihads overseas are entitled to American justice system. Of course it goes into a lot of other stuff but I personally feel that these people are terrorists and deserving of the quick justice delivered by the drones. So I say go send the drones after them.

I wish one of these military advisors in Afghanistan would give us the true status of the Afghanistan army. Are they ready to fight or run. And I'll bet the answer is it depends.
My feeling is after Karzi runs away with the nations treasure. The army will fold and anarchy will run rampant. You will hear the Germans and the French screaming for the US to stabilize Afghanistan. Of course these countries will be looking at deals with Iran and Iraq, while the USA seats footing the bill for reconstruction.

Last edited by bonnyprincecharlie; March 2nd, 2014 at 06:52 AM. Reason: typo
Old March 2nd, 2014, 12:23 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

Countries that relied on us in the past are slowing realizing that we are no longer what we use to be.

With the drawdown of before WW11 levels, we will no longer be able to do much of anything.

I remember the Carter years, when planes couldn't fly, and vehicles stayed broken because of lack of money. We thought it was bad then, but this will be much worse.

Remember, before WW11 was before Pearl Harbor. WE all know what happened then.

I do wish that President Obama had not said anything the other day. He knows we don't have the man power, or the money to help. It is now up to the super powers to step in. Oh wait a minute, the Russians are working hard to once again be a super power, which is why they feel they need to invade.

Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old March 2nd, 2014, 03:55 PM
Captain

Absolutely Russia is a superpower that has to be dealt with. But President Obama and the throwing Russia out of the G-8 is not going to cut any ice with Putin. Just like Obama not going to the Olympics did anything to enhance Obama's image as the peace maker.

The UN adding its condemnation of the Russian invasion and disrespect for agreements is not going to make any difference either. The UN is a wimpy caucus of talking heads living in luxury and kept alive by US financial support.

President Obama and his "buddy world power leaders" whoever they maybe, are going to have to figure a diplomatic way out of this dilema. And the solution had better be bloodless and not involve boots on the ground or drones. Clinton pulled that one off in Bosnia. Fortunately, he was fighting unsophisticated army that was able to force the US to gound its fleet of stealth aircraft because they had the smarts to outsmart the stealth technology.

Obama if he was smart would send Kerry over to Russia to negotiate something and to get this problem resolved. He can play the Anthony Eden of the 21 st century and declare peace in our time. Of course Russia may move the Crimea back under an Iron Curtain but if it keeps hot lead from flying and stops all kinds of economic upheaval I would rather that this occurs - rather than another Korea, South Vietnam,
Aghanistan, Iraq. Americans have enough on their plate without more war.

It's interesting how Obama with the coaching has come up in the middle of this problem with a new highway progam recommendation, 300 milion I believe. Then in order to assure the marginally poor vote he is recommending a cut in the taxes for the poor. These are good things for the poor and will win his party elections. But the maddening thing is that he talks about the fat cats who for example: Warren Buffet who says he should be paying more taxes, but Obama and his party do not do anything to increase the tax revenues by taxing the wealthy because it would cut into his party's campaign war chest. Oh yes Mr. Obama is guick to say he has his eye on the ball. But it seems to me that he has his eye on the next election season instead of the Ukraine.
Old March 2nd, 2014, 08:34 PM
Admiral

I just heard that Kerry will go to Ukraine tomorrow.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old March 3rd, 2014, 05:32 AM
Captain

Thanks. Glad that you contributed this info. I hadn't seen it.
Old March 3rd, 2014, 05:56 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luanne Russo View Post
I just heard that Kerry will go to Ukraine tomorrow.

Luanne, it's good to see your posts.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence 12/29/13
Vision OTS 2-14-2015

Old March 3rd, 2014, 10:11 AM
Admiral

Thank you Manuel. I don't always feel like posting.

I heard two things last night. One is we agreed to protect Ukraine in 1991 and their new Gov.

There is a spy ship in a Cuban port, from Mother Russia.

I don't think the average American sees how bad a shape we are in.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old March 3rd, 2014, 02:43 PM
Captain

I made a statement in earlier post that Obama would feel that the Brites would follow the USA anywhere. I see the prime minister MacDonald I believe is saying look negotiate a settlement we , the Brites, are not going in on any military adventure. seems that the gas and oil the Russians supply are important to England's survival.

I can see Obama and his cabinet toying with this one. There thinking is something like this: "Let's approve the Keystone pipeline, this is how we get the Canadians on our side. Next we do a lend lease thing with Great Britian in which the US promises to supply all the fuel Britian needs to counterbalance any lost by cutting off Russia as a supplier. Finally, we whallop the Americans with a price increases for home and car fuel and blame it on the Ukraine crisis and fuel speculators. This is the way to kill two birds with one stone or another way to skin the cat they say as they plot their next political fundraiser.

Meanwhile Kerry is in the Ukraine rather than talking with Putin. But of course Mr. Obama is a hands on president and he would rather talk to Putin directly on the phone
rather than meeting with him face to face.
Old March 7th, 2014, 03:20 PM
Captain

Default Crimea: US hot spot gets hotter and hotter.

Okay Putin blinked on the Ukraine seemingly. Now the new test is whether the citizens of Crimea will decide to split off from Ukraine and join Russia with a vote.
The conclusion of the vote is foregone conclusion so President Obama doesn't want it to happen. He will do everything in his power to stop that vote because once it occurs he will once again have to draw a line in the sand. This time the question is whether the other NATO countries will join him in his condemnation of Russia. Especially if the citizens of the Crimea vote to split with the Ukraine.
We shall see. Obama should learn the word compromise is better than war no matter how attractively the idea of war is packaged.

But wait in the midst of this crisis President Obama is going off to Florida to relax. Whatever happened to his rolled up sleeves work ethic as he talked to Putin on the phone image?
Old March 7th, 2014, 06:17 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonnyprincecharlie View Post
But wait in the midst of this crisis President Obama is going off to Florida to relax. Whatever happened to his rolled up sleeves work ethic as he talked to Putin on the phone image?

I think that Florida is a great place to come to relax.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence 12/29/13
Vision OTS 2-14-2015

Old March 8th, 2014, 08:22 PM
Captain

Default Crimea will be another Frozen conflict...maybe unless Obama makes it hot.

Crimea will add to the list of "frozen" conflicts in Eastern Europe. That way, Moscow would avoid being accused of more direct aggression.

For two decades, Russia has supported Trans-Dniester, which has virtually separated from Moldova, and Nagorno-Karabakh, which declared independence from Azerbaijan following an intervention by Armenia.

To address this threat, the West will need to offer a package of measures that would enable the Kremlin to release its grip on Crimea without losing face.

The idea of an agreed settlement will seem odious to some. After all, Moscow should not be rewarded for its heavy-handed action. And the historical record is not good.

The EU-sponsored peace plan for Abkhazia and South Ossetia, negotiated by former French President Nicolas Sarkozy in August 2008, amounted to little more than ratification of the results of Russia's invasion of the two Georgian provinces. Both entities declared independence and have remained under Moscow's tutelage since.

However, it is that very example which makes it imperative to achieve a genuine settlement. Unless an agreed formula for the withdrawal of Russian forces to their bases in Crimea is found, the Ukrainian government will find it very difficult to regain sovereign control over the territory.