CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Open Debate (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/open-debate/)
-   -   Miley Cyrus,Bill O'Reilly, Beyonce (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/open-debate/401489-miley-cyrus-bill-oreilly-beyonce.html)

venice March 19th, 2014 03:19 PM

Miley Cyrus,Bill O'Reilly, Beyonce

My neighbor attended a Miley Cyrus concert with her 12 year old daughter last night..a few months ago they attended a Beyonce concert together

My neighbor indicted that both are very talented but Miley's concert was 3X more offensive then Beyonce could ever be

Yet Bill O'Reilly rails on Beyonce yet silent on Miley

Why is that:roll:

AR March 19th, 2014 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by venice (Post 1497003)
My neighbor attended a Miley Cyrus concert with her 12 year old daughter last night..a few months ago they attended a Beyonce concert together

My neighbor indicted that both are very talented but Miley's concert was 3X more offensive then Beyonce could ever be

The real question is why you bother to pay any attention to what Bill-O says. But since you ask, questions like this usually have black and white answers.

venice March 19th, 2014 11:28 PM

By choice, I have not watched FOX, CNN, MSNBC since last November and don't miss the "noise"...I did however, catch full coverage on C-SPAN of CPAC which is always entertaining to me

However, I do love music and just finished a book about "race music" during the 1950's and many of the same "observations" that Bill has been ranting about today, are almost word for word the same as those made by his counterparts in the 50's..I am a child of Woodstock and did not suffer any life long damage because of it

One should never try to censor artists or their music...technology and social media has changed the playing field in terms of how music distribution is done so Bill is out of step, once again

To keep it on a cruising topic..many of NCL's Sixman music charters feature popular artists based strictly on downloads and Youtube and not sales of CD's or albums or live concerts

Manuel March 20th, 2014 05:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by venice (Post 1497003)

People like Bill O, just want to get people's attention.
In your case he succeeded.

I don't pay attention to all the talk that goes on without facts to back up what they are saying.

TM

venice March 20th, 2014 06:31 AM

Actually he got my neighbors attention because she has a daughter....to her credit, she is exposing her daughter to all. types of music and cultural opportunities so her daughter has a foundation later in life

Bill lost my attention years ago roflrofl...I live in Louisiana, I enjoy great music every weekend at our Festivals

Luanne Russo March 20th, 2014 10:22 AM

Not that it matters, but Bill O has spoken out against both women. The only reason he has spoken out is he is trying to find , and encourage good role models.

Manuel March 20th, 2014 10:27 AM

It's not Bill's job to find role models. It's also not our job to judge who is a good person and who is not.
We do have an ( Higher ) authority to do that.

TM

venice March 20th, 2014 12:31 PM

Luanne...I don't recall Bill calling Miley (Hannah Montana) a :thug:x like he did Beyonce...the Letterman interview exposed Bill's hypocrisy in that respect

I agree with Manuel..Bill's track record in the area of role models is suspect, to say the least...plus it does not make for good ratings

This is an industry issue more than an artist issue ...if one follows the money trail it leads to corporate America board rooms...not the streets...it's all about marketing and a great deal of hypocrisy

Arbitron ratings shows us that the largest consumers of hip hop culture is not in the demographics that Bill would have one to believe

AR March 20th, 2014 01:51 PM

I guess I've heard them all now. . .

A man who builds a successful career on demonstrable lies, on poor research, on palpable hatred, on trademarked mean-spiritedness, and on hair-trigger vitriolic anger, is said to be in the business of encouraging good role models.

He might consider starting with himself.

venice March 20th, 2014 02:37 PM

The Catholic Brothers at Marist College in Poughkeepsie (where Bill graduated from and I received my Masters) must be so proud of him:rolleyes:

In essence Bill is trying to use his bully pulpit to influence censorship in the music world.never works and usually backfires....google what the Conservatives in the 50's said about a young Elvis wiggling his hips or heaven forbid Little Richard & Ray Charles performing in front of a race mix crowd in the South in the 50's...they sound alot like Bill

As I am sure our CM buddies Paul & Dave will agree..we all played in rock bands in high school & college primarily to attract the pretty girls :cool:the "bad boys of rock bands " always seem to attract the "good girls" in high school...I was lucky I played in both a rock &soul band in high school /college and was an athlete...the more outrageous the front man of the band was (plus they usually drove a muscle car or a "Vet") the more girls were around.....same theory applies with the rappers today...one usually grows out of it if your Parents ignore you and let it pass.....plus....every kid has an IPOD with hi tech headphones so Parents don't know what they are listening to anyway

The fact that Bill has ranted so much about it has increased sales and downloads of Beyonce's X rated video...if he kept his mouth shut, it would have run it's course quicker...it backfire and I am sure Beyonce thanks Bill everydayrofl

AR March 20th, 2014 05:05 PM

My parents and my favorite aunt around the corner were near apoplexy when Elvis came on the scene and I started listening to him, Jerry Lee, Little Richard, and all the rest. Lots of lectures, which usually ended with "In our day we never had. . .(you fill in the rest)."

Even in seventh and eighth grade I was already into audio production, and although I liked those early rockers, I also liked a lot of other music too. So I edited together a tape of a half dozen songs from "their day." Some of them were. . .Cole Porter's classic "Love for Sale" ("who's prepared to pay a price for a trip to paradise?"); Rodgers and Hart's "Bewitched" ("vexed again, perplexed again, thank God I can be oversexed again. . .horizontally speaking, he's at his very best"); "Let's Fall in Love" ("Birds do it, bees do it, even educated fleas do it"). . .and a few others.

When they went after me again, I listened patiently, then presented my little golden oldies concert.

That was the last lecture.

A few years later, when I started playing music on the radio, I used to marvel at all the borderline censorship that was going on. The Stones had to do a radio version of "Let's Spend the Night Together" and change the title lyric to "Let's Spend Some Time Together." And there was a Lou Christie song called "Rhapsody in the Rain," about making love in a car during a storm, that sent the Catholics into orbit, which of course only made people want to hear it more and boosted sales through the roof. I seem to remember there was a radio version of that too, with censored lyrics. We used to kid that "radio versions" were the best things that ever happened to songs, because it made the kids buy the record to hear the "good stuff."

Ever it was, and ever it shall be.

Manuel March 20th, 2014 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by venice (Post 1497080)

The fact that Bill has ranted so much about it has increased sales and downloads of Beyonce's X rated video...if he kept his mouth shut, it would have run it's course quicker...it backfire and I am sure Beyonce thanks Bill everydayrofl

Bill can't keep his mouth shut.

TM

venice March 21st, 2014 04:14 AM

Bill did not make his fortune or keep his ratings up by keeping his mouth closed rofl

I watched a special about Cab Calloway on PBS....::cool:Minnie the Moucher:cool:lyrics were about heroin and the :roll:fast live:roll:...huge hit in it's time and still popular today in the dance clubs that feature music and dances of that era...wonder what Bill would say about Cab Calloway

Every year on my full charter Capital Jazz SuperCruise they have a forum regarding the state of the music industry and it's hosted by industry leaders and media distribution types ....it's usually on the last full day at sea...held at 10 am in the atrium and is packed..which is an indication of the interest level

I learned two critical things...1) the full charter music cruises have actually replaced the ji"brick and mortar" type clubs where music fans can be immersed in the music from the greatest number of artists and support the artists by purchasing their music while onboard...2) the internet, technology (cloud) and social media has changed the industry and studio executives who push :(crap:) x rated music and videos are losing their control...

AR...I remember listening to "Wolfman Jack" playing those songs with questionable lyrics late at night in my room with my earplugs...on tv Ed Sullivan dictated what music was acceptable and Dick Clarke's American Bandstand was not carried in the South because he had Little Richsrd on his show where teenagers of all Races danced together

Bill would have had a field day during that era in trying to dictate his edict on postive role models for the youth of America...in this age of TMZ and Youtube someone is going to dig up pictures of video of Bill when he was at Marist that will not be consistent with his dictate today roflrofl

I would have never started this thread but Bill called Beyonce a "thug" which is :mad:code:mad:..she may be many things but "thug is not one of them...it would be fitting that at this year's WH Correspondents dinner he will be seated at the same table with Beyonce and her husband Jay Z and Miley Cyrus....C-SPAN's ratings would be thru the roof and The Daily Show would have enough material to win another award

Truck Cruiser March 22nd, 2014 01:17 AM

Bill O'Reilly is a shock Jock! He purposely does and says things to get people riled up! That is how he keeps his ratings up. Take his latest book "Killing Jesus" it has both liberals and conservatives up in arms just over the title.

AR March 22nd, 2014 10:21 PM

Anybody remember Bette Midler's version of "Do You Wanna Dance?" Here are some of the lyrics.

"Do You Want To Dance?"

Do you wanna dance, and hold my hand?
Tell me you're my lover man.
Oh baby, do you wanna dance?

We could dance under the moonlight,
hug and kiss all through the night.
Oh baby, tell me, do you wanna dance with me baby?

Ah, that's right, ah, ah, aaaaaaaah.
Do you want to dance under the moonlight?
Hug me, kiss me, baby, all through the night.
Oh baby, baby, baby, baby, baby, baby, tell me, do you want to dance?

I'm a pretty good tape editor, but my buddy Scott is a REALLY good tape editor (he's also a drummer, which helps a lot). So he took this record and "censored" it with bleeps and other sound effects. The result:

"Do You Want To Dance?"

Do you wanna BLEEP, and hold my BLEEP?
Tell me you're my lover man.
Oh baby, do you wanna BLEEP
We could BLEEP under the moonlight,
hug and BLEEP all through the night.
Oh baby, tell me, do you wanna BLEEP with me baby?

Ah, that's right, ah, ah, aaaaaaaah.
Do you want to BLEEP under the moonlight?
BLEEP me, BLEEP me, baby, all through the night.
Oh baby, baby, baby, baby, baby, baby, tell me, do you want to BLEEP?

Friends at a number of major market radio stations played it as a joke, but the audiences complained, so they had to go back to playing the "uncensored" version.

It's a funny old world.

mehawk March 25th, 2014 11:05 AM

AR, your censored "Do You Want to Dance" would be great on Jimmy Kimmel's "Unnecessary Censorship!" Hilarious!