Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Open Debate
Register Forgot Password?

Open Debate The only forum to discuss politics and religion. Please keep it civil.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 10th, 2014, 10:28 PM
Admiral

Default Remembering Voting Rights

With the signing of the Civil Rights Act, attention turned to passing the Voting Rights Act, the next of LBJ's landmark equality laws. When Johnson signed that one, Terry was one of the staffers in the room, and got to shake his hand.

Wow!

Johnson was a complex man, at times crude, at times spiteful, almost always vain. And he made huge mistakes, especially regarding the war. He is the biggest single reason that Hubert Humphrey never became president and that Richard Nixon did.

Still, after his personal journey through the true meaning of civil rights, he landed on the right side of that piece of history. And that's what's being celebrated today. What a shame that it comes at a time when so many states are cynically gutting voting rights wherever and whenever they can. Shame on them. Shame on Texas, shame on Ohio, shame on Wisconsin, shame on the Carolinas, and all the rest whose reprehensible state legislatures see exercising the great voting franchise as a threat. We should rise up against them just as LBJ and Hubert Humphrey and Everett Dirksen rose up for civil rights in the 1960s. They won a battle, but the war of hatred goes on.
Old April 11th, 2014, 12:25 AM
Admiral

The greatest legacy would be if more Americans actually voted in Local, City, State, Congressional and off year Presidential elections...the suppression of votings rights are in the States which are dominated by one party which derives it's power(and in fact counts on) low voter turnout and then uses that power to surpress rights to maintain political control

If everyone who voted in the recent Presidential election, turns out to vote in November for the midterm elections, then LBJ's legacy would be honored

We just had an election for City Council where the turn out was less then 20% of eligible voters (and that was considered a high turn out)

When he signed the Bill, LBJ knew he was delivering the South to the opposite party, which if one notices were very silent today as they were last Summer during the celebration of the March on Washington

Based upon political background LBJ and Earl Warren, would be least likely to be considered to be on the right side of history on this subject...in light of recent events, I sense that the Country is going backwards
Old April 11th, 2014, 12:50 AM
Captain

Really??? Who doesn't have a right to vote? Those here illegally? Children? Please tell me because I would like to know.

If you are talking about voter ID laws, that is a different story because you have to have some form of ID to have a drivers licence, open a bank account, ect ect. I do not think voter ID laws are discriminatory at all, as a matter of fact, every state should require voters to show some form of ID.

Caribbean Princess 07
Carnival Valor 08
Carnival Holiday 08
Carnival Triumph 09
Island Princess 09
Carnival Miracle 10
Norwegian Pearl 11
Norwegian Sun 13
Independence of the Seas Feb 14
Carnival Splendor Feb 2015
Carnival Sunshine Feb 2016
Old April 11th, 2014, 05:46 AM
Admiral

The voter supression legislation that has been passed in these states are much greater that voter id....changing polling locations to make it harder for citizens that don't own cars or are dependent on public transportation to be able to vote....shortening early voting periods in certain districts to favor one party rather then statewide compliance..... eliminating voting on Sundays in certain states..... crafting targeted laws that allow College students to be able to vote in one County while in the next County they can only vote in the district that their parents reside or by absentee ballot..... selected application of challenging voter id presented in target voting areas.... selected purging of voter registration roll calls without due process..... elimination of same day voter registration in certain states....by state legislation, restructuring voting districts in such a manner to change demographic profiles...

obtaining the actual id, is the least of the issues..the actual ability to use it is what the issue is...voter intimidation takes many forms both overt and covert as we can bear witness thru the court challenges

I will gladly keep you updated
Old April 11th, 2014, 11:16 AM
Admiral

Thanks Venice. Absolutely on the money. I would add that 9 states have adopted such draconian measures since the beginning of 2013, and many more have them on the docket.

Yesterday, the president said, "History travels not only forwards; history can travel backwards, history can travel sideways. And securing the gains this country has made requires the vigilance of its citizens."

By almost any measure, we are traveling mostly backwards these days.
Old April 11th, 2014, 02:16 PM
Admiral

I subscribe and enjoy reading Ann Coulter's newsletter (don't agree but always good to have a different perspective)..she made an interesting point when she indicated that Rance Preibus and the RNC would pass Immigration tomorrow if they believed all the new citizens would vote Republican and if they really needed African Americans votes there would not be voter supression....a 58% African American turnout in the mid year elections this fall would get Rance's attention

Suppression of Rights takes 3X the energy then expanding rights to all Americans...the current RNC is trying to do it on two fronts...with African Americans thru voter supression and with Hispanics thru supression thru Immigration reform

The really sad part is I believe most Americans (including rank and file Republicans) don't support the RNC leadership position but are afraid to speak up...I applaud Jed Bush recent statement to try to bring reason into the debate

Both Jed and Bush 43 support a pathway to Citizenship...I suspect because Jed's wife, children, grandchildren and inlaws have given the Bush family a different perspective

The military can serve as a roadmap...every major war...when losses mounted the govenment promised a short cut to full citzenship that in civilian life they denied, if folks "volunteered" for front line combat (google the most decorated Army unit in both WW1&2, read the small print of Lincoln's Emancipation Proclamation & Washington's call to arms for Slaves in Southern States to fight the British)...the Dream Act extends that same option...the elected officials who are most vocal against it probably don't know history
Old April 11th, 2014, 02:41 PM
Admiral

Good points, Venice, but it's not the RNC that's driving the train any more. It's the Republican Congressional leadership, who in turn have been utterly cowed by the tea party crazies. One of the little noticed by-products of the ravaging of our political system is that both the RNC and DNC have been pushed back to a point that approaches irrelevancy. It is now just a matter of the most strident voices and the overwhelming power of fear.

The problem is most pronounced on the GOP side, where an all out civil war seems to be in prospect, between the slash-and-burn crowd and the grownups who want to get something done. It's going to be interesting to watch.
Old April 12th, 2014, 07:44 AM
Admiral

The recent SCOTUS rulings around unlimited campaign donations has really "muddy the waters" and I think in the short term, will make what Lee Atwater did with Bush 41 "dirty tricks campaign" look like child's play

Americans really will have to take responsibilty to pay attention and study the issues, attend public forums to ask questions and actually read as opposed to allowing , in some cases out right lies and disinformation media campaigns to influence their vote

The false attack ads have immersed virtually every phase of life in Louisiana...have they no shame
Old April 12th, 2014, 09:43 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by venice View Post

The false attack ads have immersed virtually every phase of life in Louisiana...have they no shame

Since I lived in Connecticut for some time and now live in Florida, I can tell you that the ' false attack adds ' are used in those states as well.
They are often quite mean contain ridiculous lies. Neither party has any shame or decency.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence 12/29/13

Booked Vision of the Seas . 2/14/2015

Booked Allure of the Seas... 2/21/16 *Last Gang Cruise*
Old April 12th, 2014, 02:41 PM
Admiral

To reiterate the fact that what Republicans are doing with regard to voting rights goes far beyond the ID requirements that Truck claims are the sum and substance of the new laws in some states, this from an article in today's New York Times. Now, I know that the Times is automatically suspect to the right wing; nevertheless, what they say here is true.

“America did not stand up and did not march and did not sacrifice to gain the right to vote for themselves and for others only to see it denied to their kids and their grandchildren,” President Obama said yesterday.

Republicans in some swing states have advanced new laws that go beyond the voter identification requirements of recent years. Among other things, state lawmakers are pushing measures to limit the time polls are open and to cut back early voting, particularly weekend balloting that makes it easier for lower-income voters to participate. Other measures would eliminate same-day registration, make it more difficult to cast provisional ballots or curb the mailing of absentee ballots.
Old April 13th, 2014, 01:18 AM
Captain

AR and Venice, this is why I asked what you all were talking about. I had not heard of these different things going on in other states. My state, TN, has only pushed the voter ID law which I agree with and have not changed anything else in years.

I personally believe that the November elections should be a national holiday every year so no one has a excuse not to vote.

Caribbean Princess 07
Carnival Valor 08
Carnival Holiday 08
Carnival Triumph 09
Island Princess 09
Carnival Miracle 10
Norwegian Pearl 11
Norwegian Sun 13
Independence of the Seas Feb 14
Carnival Splendor Feb 2015
Carnival Sunshine Feb 2016
Old April 13th, 2014, 05:13 AM
Admiral

Truck Cruiser...your State (TN) is not considered a "Swing State" (just as LA is not also)..this has caused one party to "focused" its voter supression strategy in 8-9 Swing States...one Party's strategy has been as transparent as mud combined with gutting of the 1965 Voting Rights Enforcement Act by the SCOTUS (requiring Justice Department preapproval in 9 Southern States before a change in State Voting Laws can be implemented). When you add in low voter turnout for midterm elections (traditionally favors one Party) in the 2014 Senate elections, unlimited campaign donations thru PAC's (thanks to SCOTUS, again) and counting on minorities voting turnout to return to historic low levels (pre 2008 ),the Party out of power feels confident it can recapture the White House for 2016 and control both Houses of Congress
BTW, the RNC of today is much like the DNC (Southern Dixiecrats) pre 1965 in terms of voter surpression tactics..cable tv and talk radio pundits IMHO represent the extreme political fringes and not the real American mainstream..as American families become more multi cultural thru, children, marriage, work, school, social,serving together in the military, we expect our elected officials to find ways to be inclusive and tolerant, not exclusive thru suppression
A high voter turnout in November's midtern elections will put both political parties on notice to "clean up their act" and work together to find solutions to complicated issues. A low voter turnout will not be a good thing for our Country.....the American voting public has a way of suprising the political pundits..Thomas Dewey & Mitt Romney share a kindred spirit in that respect
The power of one person, casting (or not casting) his/her vote, in the 9 swing States in the 2012 elections, has resulted in the suppression tactics we are seeing now...if one does not vote in November, one cannot complain if they don't like the outcome
Old April 14th, 2014, 10:37 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I believe that the Voting Rights Act is one of the greatest pieces of legislation of the twentieth century.

But that nineteenth amendment needs to be repealed.

Take care,
Mike (Who is now taking shelter from those who didn't know he was kidding about the nineteenth amendment.)

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old April 15th, 2014, 04:38 AM
Admiral

Mike....there is a great book "The Bill of the Century" by Clay Risen that you should read that is an incredible account about how the 19th Amendment came about...it really started with the political reaction as a result of the Emancipation Proclamation during the Civil War

You were joking about repealing the 19th Amendment, sadly there is more truth in that then either one of us cares to admit
Old April 15th, 2014, 12:46 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truck Cruiser View Post
I personally believe that the November elections should be a national holiday every year so no one has a excuse not to vote.
I sure do agree with that in principle, but I fear that while no one would have an excuse not to vote, a huge swath of Americans still wouldn't do it. It's sort of like how much we remember Washington and Lincoln on President's Day. We remember them when we see their pictures on the posters in the department stores as we head for the holiday sales on bedsheets.

Anyway, as Venice says, the swing states would surely block any such move in Congress. Their mission is to keep as many young, elderly and minority folks as possible away from the polls. In many cases, they actually admit that this is what they're up to. It is, in a very literal sense, un-American, but there you have it.
Old April 15th, 2014, 01:42 PM
Admiral

I never understood why that particular date was chosen so I looked it up and it was an 1845 law passed by Congress based upon a 1792 statue time frame based upon an agricultural calendar

Why else would you want a Presidential Inaguration in freezing January in Washington DC

Early voting was implemented to allow greater flexibility for both employers and employees to accomodate work schedules and polling locations on a Tuesday...that seem to work fine until the 2008 elections....wonder wny

The RNC has spent alot of $$$$ playing a media game of bait and switch having the American public believe their efforts to establish tighter voter ID requirements is to prevent voter fraud while their end game has really been voter supression in select swing & southern states based upon the turnout in the 2012 election...just for fun go to YouTube and watch Karl Rove's infamous meltdown on FOX election night about Ohio (a key swing State)

Kharma flows in ways we cannot anticipate...in the 2012 election in the 9 swing states the reason why POTUS O'Bama was reelected was a higher then normal Female & Latino turnout and a much lower then anticipated White Male turnout....Mitt Romney was absolutely correct
when he talk about not needing the 47% because of the configuration of the Electorial College

I am glad to see the national spotlight is starting to be focused on the real reasons behind the RNC's motives...I hope the midterm elections will have the highest turnout in history in the States that have enacted the voting laws that were designed to suppress the turnout