Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Open Debate
Register Forgot Password?

Open Debate The only forum to discuss politics and religion. Please keep it civil.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 17th, 2014, 11:46 AM
Admiral

Default Guns for Votes

I'm glad that Michael Bloomberg is mounting a $15 million campaign for sensible gun laws. We give regularly to the Brady Campaign, but we certainly can't compete with Mr. Bloomberg's deep pockets.

Meanwhile, this from today's New York Times. . .

Online gun sweepstakes have become one of the most useful tools for campaign outreach in the 2014 Republican primaries. Across the country, from a race for sheriff in California to the United States Senate primary in South Carolina, candidates are using high-powered pistols and rifles as a lure to build up their donor lists and expand their base of support.

Perfectly legal? Of course. Chilling beyond words? Absolutely.
Old April 17th, 2014, 06:14 PM
Admiral

Does anyone know if the Mulford Act that then Gov Ronald Reagan signed into law in May of 1967 in California still in effect (prohibits carrying loaded firemans in public) in that State?
Old April 18th, 2014, 06:24 AM
Captain

A gun raffle to raise campaign funds??? Nothing wrong with that! I would rather have someone doing that then to see them in the pockets of big corporate America.

Carribean Princess 07
Carnival Valor 08
Carnival Holiday 08
Carnival Triumph 09
Island Princess 09
Carnival Miracle 10
Norwegian Pearl 11
Norwegian Sun 13
Independence of the Seas Feb 14
Old April 18th, 2014, 08:40 AM
Administrator
Admiral

There are different parts of America. Here it is VERY common for churches, charities and other organizations to raise funds by using hunting rifles and pistols as prizes. Six years ago I won a VFW raffle and took home a new Browning shotgun. A rifle, shotgun or pistol has been the prize ever since the days of the "Turkey Shoot".

If the demographic is outdoor and hunting oriented then you offer prizes that interest them in order to make money. I see nothing "chilling" about this. It's been the norm for all my life.

Pistols are less common prizes because of the laws associated with them.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old April 18th, 2014, 11:20 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truck Cruiser View Post
A gun raffle to raise campaign funds??? Nothing wrong with that! I would rather have someone doing that then to see them in the pockets of big corporate America.
What the hell's the difference? Corporate America in the form of gun manufacturers and dealers funds the NRA, which in turn funds the Congressmen. It's just one more jump on the same checkerboard, with the same result.

Oh, and I know that the NRA has individual members too. But it's the manufacturers and dealers that drive the train and call the "shots." There's never been any doubt about that.
Old April 18th, 2014, 12:26 PM
Admiral

Like everything else going on today in politics...all is not what it appears to be...the gun raffle is a hook to capture email data base information that will be utilized by the RNC to get the vote out in 2014/16...the DNC was highly effective in 2012 using social media and the internet, when they cleaned the Republicans clock...give up your email address and other carefully scripted information, you are entered for a gun prize

Same concept when we enter online contest to win a free cruise on this site...instead of free cruise insert free hunting rifle

Notice how selective this approach is being used by the RNC which should tell us something about their motives....think swing States or in the States where the White Male turnout was lower in 2012&2008 then 2000 & 2004
Old April 18th, 2014, 01:06 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by venice View Post
Like everything else going on today in politics...all is not what it appears to be...the gun raffle is a hook to capture email data base information that will be utilized by the RNC to get the vote out in 2014/16...the DNC was highly effective in 2012 using social media and the internet, when they cleaned the Republicans clock...give up your email address and other carefully scripted information, you are entered for a gun prize

Same concept when we enter online contest to win a free cruise on this site...instead of free cruise insert free hunting rifle

Notice how selective this approach is being used by the RNC which should tell us something about their motives....think swing States or in the States where the White Male turnout was lower in 2012&2008 then 2000 & 2004
Venice,
Yes the DNC is/was more adept at using social media but the tactic to get email addresses, names and phone numbers isn't anything the DNC doesn't use or any major corporation. I now receive emails, informational, propaganda, and fund raising, from just about every Democratic member of the Senate, because I subscribed to, Minnesota Senator Amy Klobuchar's newsletter.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old April 18th, 2014, 10:15 PM
Admiral

Any form of communication, from cave drawings to Twitter, takes two to tango. . .an adept sender of the communication, and people who are prepared and willing to receive it.

I could be wrong about this, but looking at the core demographics of the two parties, it seems to me that the Democrats probably have the edge when it comes to folks who are routine users of digital pathways. The Dems skew younger and better educated (which in this country isn't necessarily saying much), while the GOP skews older and less well educated.

So no matter how much digital catch-up the Republicans are able to pull off at the sending end, they may still have fewer people at the other end of the pipe. . .the rest will still need to get their propaganda via mail and TV.
Old April 19th, 2014, 12:37 AM
Admiral

Mike & AR...you both make excellent points...in most major cities with high rates of gun violence, there is a gun buy back program which is more symbolic then effective in getting unregistered firearms off the streets

By design, I Isubscribe to several conservative right wing Republican newsletters and am amazed on how off based their message is if they are trying to attracted a wider spectrum of voter diversity

I think Americans really have to make a committment to invest in actually researching an issue, attending public information (town hall) forums and asking questions starting at the local (grassroots) level rather then relying on social media , email inbox from Super PACS or watching cable news, listening to talk radio none of which provides information, but slanted towards preaching to a choir and by providing misinformation, does a disservice

Fyi...it appears our tea party favorite conservative Louisiana Congressman who was caught kissing his female married staffer on tape, will not resign, return to Washingon and stand for reelection in the fall and let his district decide his fate, (as it should be) rather then resign under pressure from the RNC leaders...I think this is great on many levels
Old April 19th, 2014, 11:19 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Fyi...it appears our tea party favorite conservative Louisiana Congressman who was caught kissing his female married staffer on tape, will not resign, return to Washingon and stand for reelection in the fall and let his district decide his fate, (as it should be) rather then resign under pressure from the RNC leaders...I think this is great on many levels

You must remember this,
A kiss is still a kiss,
A lie is still a lie,
The fundamental things apply
Except among political hypocrites who get re-elected no matter what they do!
Old April 19th, 2014, 07:19 PM
Admiral

I often wonder more about the voter hypocrites, then the political hypocrites that they keep in office regardless of party...

SC Mark Sanford (R)just amazes me and LA former Gov and convicted felon Edwin Edwards (D) can't vote but he can legally run for Congress

My Hall of Fame vote goes to Newt Gingrich...in the Republican primary he actually carried his home State of Georgia and had absolutely no shame when he appeared at CPAC and proclaimed that he had been "saved"

Does this mean that there is a lack of quality people that will submit to the rigors of running for office..
Old April 19th, 2014, 10:02 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Does this mean that there is a lack of quality people that will submit to the rigors of running for office..
Of course that's what it means. For a long time now, the best and the brightest have surveyed the political scene, analyzed what's going on, and headed for the hills. Actually, it's not rigor they find unacceptable, it's the way the system works (or doesn't), plus the personal attacks and rancor that accompany the job, even if you're honest. Not to mention a job description that says you've got to spend 40% of your "productive" time raising money for your next campaign. You don't have to be from New York to say "fuggediboudit!"

That leaves the field open for the tramps and thieves we read about every day.
Old April 20th, 2014, 07:01 AM
Admiral

Thanks to the SCOTUS, wealthy individuals who do not hold elective office, dictate our Country's policy, to benefit their selfish interest at the expense of working class Americans and Americans who do not look like our "Founding Fathers"

Where is the "check and balances"
Old April 21st, 2014, 08:46 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Thanks to the SCOTUS, wealthy individuals who do not hold elective office, dictate our Country's policy, to benefit their selfish interest at the expense of working class Americans and Americans who do not look like our "Founding Fathers"

Where is the "check and balances"

Very true! Most of the party leaders are wealthy themselves and demand (extort) money from candidates in order for the candidates to move forward. I ran for the Sheriff's position in Harris County (Houston, Texas area) in 2011. I led for awhile then a "crook" with family money came in and the county chair jumped on him for his money and the rest of us fell out. This "gentleman" is worse than the democratic incumbent but, luckily for us, he did lose. There are people in Houston who do not hold an office but charge to be placed upon their mailing list for their own "endorsements." It is actually all about the money.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.