Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Other
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 29th, 2001, 07:28 PM
JYGresham

Default Saga Rose

I would be very ilnterested in hearing from anyone who has sailed on the Saga Rose (formerly the Sagafjord) and your review. We are interested in taking a cruise on her.
Sponsored Links
Old January 16th, 2002, 12:24 PM
anniel

Default Re: Saga Rose

This July we will take our fourth cruise on Saga Rose, so you can see that we like her.

Saga is a company which caters solely to people over 50 and her cruises are extremely popular. They are direct bookers and do offer good prices for early booking. I have not heard of last minute bargains. Some cabins are quickly snapped up...BB and C cabins close to the pursers deck are very good.218,220, 223,224, 227,225 223 are all spacious. 227 has its own hall will lots of wardrobe space.I have also been in cabin 106, a square cabin on the sun deck. All the cabins mentioned are very quickly booked.

The staff on Saga Rose are all incredibly kind and patient. We like the dining room which is one sitting. Open for breakfast and lunch, fixed seating for dinner. In my opinion the food is as good as on Caronia...not quite as good as Crystal! The service is most attentive. Stewards are Fillipino as are cabin stewards...always unfailingly cheerful. The lido restaurant does get crowded but not as much as QE2 and the food is better.

The ship is quite old, but has had a refurb. She is a graceful in shape and quite traditional. The public rooms are highly adequate and the entertainment we have experienced is better than on QE2...we have just returned from 28 days on that ship so I do have experience.

Excursions are well priced and well planned. What can I say...most passengers are British but I think the word is getting out and gradually Americans, Canadians and Australians are joining the ship

We book direct with Saga, so I do not suppose that travel agents will know much about her. She is rated 4*+ in the years Berlitz guide to cruising and they are complimentary about the ship.

I used to think Saga Rose was a wekk kept secret...but obviously she is getting known.

Please feel free to ask any questions you want answered.
Cheers
Anniel
Old February 27th, 2002, 06:56 PM
JYGresham

We are in the process of booking the saga Rose Eastern Med. cruise leaving Southampton Apr.18 In the brochure it says all gratuities paid--I am wonderingif people adhere to this or do most leave a little something anyway and if so how much? You may email me if you wish. Thanks for any info.
Old June 9th, 2002, 09:57 PM
JyGresham

Default Re: Saga Pearl

Does anyoneknow about the lease by Saga HolIdays of the cruise ship Minerva, to be christened the Saga Pearl and sail an European itinerary for 6 months? Any info aboutthe Minerva would be appreciated. Thanks. You can email me JYGresham@ aol.com
Old June 10th, 2002, 12:43 PM
anniel

Default Re: Re: Saga Pearl

If you go to www.saga.co.uk you will see a heading saga rose, click on that and all details of saga pearl will show up

cheers
Anniel
Old July 25th, 2003, 09:06 AM
Athena39

I have been on the Saga pearl when she was the Minerva. I loved the cruise, but I think it was because of Swan Hellenic and the itinerary, not the ship. The standard cabins are quite small, and the bathroom is really tiny. Not luxurious at all. There are about eieght staterooms with balconies and these are huge! However, there is a wonderful teak promenade deck, and there is another one higher up. Lots of outdoor space and deck chairs, which I love. The public spaces are really marvelous, especially the library. All in all, a comfortable ship.