Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Other
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 12th, 2003, 03:02 PM
paljoeysmom

Default MSC

Has anyone been on the MSC cruise line. In particular the ships called Melody or Licira? If so would love to know what you experienced. They seem to be one of a few
larger cruise ships that go to St. Barths.
Sponsored Links
Old December 14th, 2003, 07:31 PM
Passenger

Default Re: MSC

We haven't been on MSC, yet, though we are taking an MSC Lirica Panama Canal cruise in January, and we have been collecting a lot of information. Lots of photos, the Lirica 2004 Caribbean Season Excursions, some Melody menus & bar lists, and we have exchanged numerous e-mails with two who have been on the Lirica (and Melody). We can e-mail you with some of that info if you'd like, and through what we've given you, you could e-mail those with MSC cruise experience, as well (their e-mail addresses are public knowledge).

Old December 15th, 2003, 09:20 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: MSC

We are schedule to sail on the Lirica on January 15th. Although we are cruise people, and usually don't like a foreign cruise line, we have heard only good things about MSC and the Lirica.

I will galdly report and answer any questions when we return. Anything in particular you would like to know?
Old January 16th, 2004, 01:26 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: MSCLIRICA

THIS IS MY 1ST CRUISE..CAN ANYBOODY TELL ME IF WE ARE ALLOWED TO BRING ALCOHOL ON BOARD?
Old January 16th, 2004, 01:35 PM
paljoeysmom

Default Re: Re: MSCLIRICA

Patti,

You are going to love cruising. Check your cruise documents when they arrive. Also you can checkout the information from Buil and Diane on this cruise ship at www.cruiseclues.com They have wonderful website with a copy of the cruise documents. I believe they are sailing this month on the Lirica.
Old January 21st, 2004, 06:48 AM
thatarcher

Default Re: Re: Re: MSC

Hi everbody,

My wife and I are going on the May 15 th cruise to Italy then onto Vince Italy June 1. We are retired and we have lived in Panama Central America for the last 7 years and we plan on going to see the ship when it docks in Panama on Feb. 1. If anyone would like information on Panama or Costa Rica (we lived in Costa Rica for over 2 yrs.) Please e-mail us at thatarcher@yahoo.com or post a message.

I hope the cruise is better then the res. people in the NJ office. They were very rude to me and they even hung up on my travel agent when she asked to speak to a supervisor.

Dennis & Gladys
Old January 25th, 2004, 01:31 PM
harry Herbert

We are takeing the Lirica in march,would like to here from you.
Harry
Old January 27th, 2004, 08:09 AM
Hayley

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: MSC

Hi,

I am also joining the cruise on Lirica 10th March. Never cruised before, am looking forward to it, but a bit apprehensive what to expect !
Old January 31st, 2004, 11:00 AM
Vera E.

Is anybody out there going on the Lirica Feb. 28? If so, let me know. Vera
Old January 31st, 2004, 02:40 PM
Florida Lady

Also looking for information on the Lirica. We are booked on April 1, 2004 Panama Canal sailing. We have reserved cabin 12011.
Old February 5th, 2004, 11:35 AM
Maui Mike

I found this on another site from people that went on the inaugural . Not very promising.

We were 3 couples sailing on this cruise. This was the inaugural cruise in the US. We all thought that this trip was a big disappointment. Food was awful. Service to passengers was rude and seldom helpful. The USA hostess was not at all interested in passengers comments, requests, etc. There was no prepared decaf coffee, only packaged decaf, all of the food was poorly prepared, no seasoning, terrible presentation and almost inedible. Had sour milk the last day of cruise as well as pepper that was inedible due to odor emanating from shaker, ship ran out of butter and we were told that there were no english muffins, etc. We all had outside cabins that were acceptable. One of our group got ill and doctors on board and in hospital in Grenada said he should use wheelchair on board ship for duration of trip. None were available. We were told there were only 4 on board for 1,500 passengers. Not acceptable. On board music was missing, no messages from the captain except in emergency, in cabin tv not satisfactory. On 11 day cruise there were only 2 selections for in cabin movies, CNN did not come in half of the time and when it did, the reception was poor. A "cinema" day and night was advertised in brochure but there were no movies on board except for an afternoon opera. Lounges on pool deck were not comfortable at all. Entertainment was adequate. Most enjoyable entertainment was Les Brown, Jr. and his Band of Renown in the Lirica Lounge nightly. "Animation Team" was, most of the time, silly and slap stick. I intend to contact MSC directly as well as travel agent who booked trip for us. I think this cruise line needs to really reevaluate its service.....
Old February 6th, 2004, 06:49 PM
Passenger

Ditto!!! My husband and I have been on 16 cruises, so we are veterans. The food on Lirica was really terrible, except for some of the pastas and veal dishes. There were no dessert choices, to speak of, so my husband ate fruit and I stuck with the ice cream. Entertainment was okay, but very repetitive, with the same acts occurring several times. There were no movies, except repeats on TV. We had a balcony room with cigar smokers on both sides, so we couldn't always enjoy the balcony without that disgusting, stinky smoke. I found the animation team to be cruel, way beyond the limits of slapstick. The company needs to learn much about passengers' needs and cruising, but never again at our expense. This was our last MSC cruise.
Old February 8th, 2004, 07:39 PM
Patrick Newell

Your experience with the folks at MSC is not unique. We just got back from a cruise on the Lirica to the Western Carribean. I must tell you that we are frequent cruisers and the service, food, and personnel on board were the worse we ever experienced (i'm putting it mildly). We kept losing passengers at each port as a result of this.

My advice, save your money and spend it on another cruise with a different. You'll be happy you did. Feel free to contact me if you have any specific questions.

Patrick Newell
Old February 8th, 2004, 07:40 PM
Patrick Newell

Your experience with the folks at MSC is not unique. We just got back from a cruise on the Lirica to the Western Carribean. I must tell you that we are frequent cruisers and the service, food, and personnel on board were the worse we ever experienced (i'm putting it mildly). We kept losing passengers at each port as a result of this.

My advice, save your money and spend it on another cruise with a different. You'll be happy you did. Feel free to contact me if you have any specific questions.

Patrick Newell
Old February 10th, 2004, 09:09 AM
Sheila Timmins

We are a British couple just back from our trip on the Lirica.
We totally agree with all that has been said.

But what about the excurtions? Or lack of them! We were really looking forwad to seeing Key West but as tenders are used to ferry passengers ashore and the sea was rough we never made it ! So dont think all your trips ashore are guaranteed.

We too are contacting our travel agent with a 6 page list of complaints !!!
Old February 10th, 2004, 12:09 PM
thatarcher

Hi everybody,

I have read your posts on the MSC Lirica about the poor service and bad food. I have been e-mailing MSC 's NJ office in the US and also their home office in Italy and attaching your posts. MSC does care about customer service!!! They have replaced the Chef and they now have a person on board right now addressing your concerns about the problems you have talked about in your posts. Lucy Schnorrbusch the operations manager and her boss Steve Hirshan have assured me the problems will be corrected. I am going on b2b Lirica cruises on May 15th for 22 days total. I trust Lucy and Steve or I would have canceled my cruises. Please have faith in MSC cruise Lines.

Dennis Archer
Old February 12th, 2004, 06:53 AM
Bob and Judy

Vera,

We will be on the MSC Lirca on the 28th. Booked it because we have not been to several of the ports. We have been on many cruises but never on MSC. Most of the reviews seem to be on the negative side. We booked the cruise late and only inside cabins were left-the ship is now sold out. We are not "complainers" but are a little apprensive after all the negative reviews. I guess we will have to take what they give us and make the best of it.
Old February 12th, 2004, 05:26 PM
thatarcher

Default great News

Great News!!!

MSC Cruise Lines does care about customer service because they have listened to the past passengers from the posts on the message boards and have started to make changes. MSC Cruise Lines sent me an e-mail with just some of the many changes that they are making on board the Lirica. The Internet is a great tool because the changes they are making would have taken months instead of weeks with out the internet and the message boards. I'm glad I had faith in Steve and Lucy, MSC is lucky to have good people like them working for them. They were the ones that were passing along the messages and telling the home office to make the changes. I can't wait to see the many other changes that MSC Cruise Lines will be making aboard the Lirica. Thank you to all the past passengers because of you my May 15th cruise will be a wonderful cruise. Now here are the changes.

Please note information from Italy regarding onboard service enhancements....
FREE ICE CREAM

It was agreed that Soft-Serve ice cream in two flavours and Italian ice-cream of two flavours be provided to guests free of charge between the hours of 1500 and 1700 every day. The soft-serve ice-cream (or frozen yoghurt) is to be served in cones and the Italian Ice-cream in paper (or plastic) cups with spatula. The Soft-serve ice-cream is to be offered with various toppings and decorations.

24-HOUR ROOM SERVICE:

It was agreed that with the exception of cappuccino, expresso and bar items, all elements on the new modified Room Service menu be provided to guests without charge. Logistical changes may be necessary during the introductory period.

PIZZERIA OPENING HOURS EXTENDED - MENU MODIFIED

It was agreed that the Pizzeria is to remain open until 1600 each day, and that the pizza menu is to include the following as well as current pizzas offered:

Plain Cheese

Pepperoni

Vegetable pizza (with sliced mushrooms, green peppers, onions etc)

24-HOUR AMERICAN COFFEE

It was agreed that American coffee, milk and sugar are to be provided on a self-serve basis at the outdoor beverage station (apart from buffet breakfast hours when this is provided on an assisted-service basis).

WATER, ICED TEA AND COFFEE DURING DINNER

It was agreed that Iced Water, Iced Tea and American Coffee be provided in the restaurants at any time during the service. Because of space limitations, it is left to the ship to work out the logistics of balancing good service and practicality.

Iced water should be poured as guests are seated, and a carafe of iced tea would be best offered after the table is seated (not left on the table before guests arrive). American Coffee may be requested at any time during the meal. (Tea, coffee and milk)

ICED TEA AND ICED WATER AT LUNCH BUFFET

It was agreed that the above be provided. Iced water is already available 24-hours. Ice tea (sugarless) is available on a self-serve basis.

GYMNASIUM OPENING HOURS

It was agreed that the gymnasium hours be amended to the earlier time of 0600 to 1200 and from 1400 to 1800.

FILTERED DECAFFEINATED COFFEE TO REPLACE INSTANT DECAFFEINATED COFFEE

This request is approved in principal, pending the purchase of appropriate dispensing equipment, and locating an acceptable position for this equipment.

SALT & PEPPER SHAKERS FOR BUFFET TABLES

A request to provide salt and pepper shakers for the buffet tables was declined. It was decided that because of hygiene reasons, the existing single-serve salt and pepper is acceptable and more appropriate.

IMPROVE MENUS GENERALLY

It was agreed that the current menus require considerable attention and improvement in terms of presentation and accuracy with the following changes:

Layout to be improved and standardized

All dishes are to be described first in Italian, with the sub-heading in the language of the guests.

Accurate gastronomic translations are to be provided in all languages, including English.

Menus are to be considered as a 'take-home' souvenir of the cruise by guests

Mixed drinks and their prices are to be advertised prominently in the menus as well as daily wine suggestions.

BUTTER TO MEET SPECIFICATIONS

It was agreed that butter (unsalted, salted and margarine) are to be presented at all meals in the restaurant

FREE CAPPUCCINO & EXPRESSO IN RESTAURANT

The request to provide free cappuccino and expresso in the Restaurant was declined, on the basis that this is a bar-generated item.

REAL AMERICAN ORANGE JUICE AT BUFFETS

It was agreed that the juices offered at the buffet were to be improved.

IMPROVEMENT TO SELECTION AND VARIETY OF BREADS, SALADS & DESSERTS

It was agreed that the variety of bread should increase to display the Italian identity of the ship, requiring grissini to be presented at all dinners, white and brown rolls and bread, and rye bread to be baked at least twice per day. Salads and desserts are to be provided.

BASKET OF BREAD AT EACH DINNER TABLE

The request to provide a basket of bread at each dinner table be declined based on space.

OMELETTE STATION AT BUFFET

It was agreed that omelettes be included at the Breakfast Buffet, with preparation from an Omelette menu at the Grill.

MORE ASSISTANCE FOR OLDER GUESTS AT BUFFET

It was agreed that the MSC standard would always provide assistance for older or incapacited guests where it was obvious these persons required assistance.

MIXED DRINKS ON THE DINNER MENU

It was agreed that a selection of mixed drinks (1 non alcoholic and 2 alcoholic) be provided on every dinner menu, with prices also stated on the menu.

BROWN EGGS

It was agreed that brown eggs were unacceptable in the USA.

EGGS BENEDICT

It was agreed that Eggs Benedict would not have been offered.

MARTINI SERVICE

'jumbo martini' glasses were being embarked for use in three bars. These new martinis were to be promoted in the Daily Program.
Old February 12th, 2004, 05:27 PM
thatarcher

Great News!!!

MSC Cruise Lines does care about customer service because they have listened to the past passengers from the posts on the message boards and have started to make changes. MSC Cruise Lines sent me an e-mail with just some of the many changes that they are making on board the Lirica. The Internet is a great tool because the changes they are making would have taken months instead of weeks with out the internet and the message boards. I'm glad I had faith in Steve and Lucy, MSC is lucky to have good people like them working for them. They were the ones that were passing along the messages and telling the home office to make the changes. I can't wait to see the many other changes that MSC Cruise Lines will be making aboard the Lirica. Thank you to all the past passengers because of you my May 15th cruise will be a wonderful cruise. Now here are the changes.

Please note information from Italy regarding onboard service enhancements....
FREE ICE CREAM

It was agreed that Soft-Serve ice cream in two flavours and Italian ice-cream of two flavours be provided to guests free of charge between the hours of 1500 and 1700 every day. The soft-serve ice-cream (or frozen yoghurt) is to be served in cones and the Italian Ice-cream in paper (or plastic) cups with spatula. The Soft-serve ice-cream is to be offered with various toppings and decorations.

24-HOUR ROOM SERVICE:

It was agreed that with the exception of cappuccino, expresso and bar items, all elements on the new modified Room Service menu be provided to guests without charge. Logistical changes may be necessary during the introductory period.

PIZZERIA OPENING HOURS EXTENDED - MENU MODIFIED

It was agreed that the Pizzeria is to remain open until 1600 each day, and that the pizza menu is to include the following as well as current pizzas offered:

Plain Cheese

Pepperoni

Vegetable pizza (with sliced mushrooms, green peppers, onions etc)

24-HOUR AMERICAN COFFEE

It was agreed that American coffee, milk and sugar are to be provided on a self-serve basis at the outdoor beverage station (apart from buffet breakfast hours when this is provided on an assisted-service basis).

WATER, ICED TEA AND COFFEE DURING DINNER

It was agreed that Iced Water, Iced Tea and American Coffee be provided in the restaurants at any time during the service. Because of space limitations, it is left to the ship to work out the logistics of balancing good service and practicality.

Iced water should be poured as guests are seated, and a carafe of iced tea would be best offered after the table is seated (not left on the table before guests arrive). American Coffee may be requested at any time during the meal. (Tea, coffee and milk)

ICED TEA AND ICED WATER AT LUNCH BUFFET

It was agreed that the above be provided. Iced water is already available 24-hours. Ice tea (sugarless) is available on a self-serve basis.

GYMNASIUM OPENING HOURS

It was agreed that the gymnasium hours be amended to the earlier time of 0600 to 1200 and from 1400 to 1800.

FILTERED DECAFFEINATED COFFEE TO REPLACE INSTANT DECAFFEINATED COFFEE

This request is approved in principal, pending the purchase of appropriate dispensing equipment, and locating an acceptable position for this equipment.

SALT & PEPPER SHAKERS FOR BUFFET TABLES

A request to provide salt and pepper shakers for the buffet tables was declined. It was decided that because of hygiene reasons, the existing single-serve salt and pepper is acceptable and more appropriate.

IMPROVE MENUS GENERALLY

It was agreed that the current menus require considerable attention and improvement in terms of presentation and accuracy with the following changes:

Layout to be improved and standardized

All dishes are to be described first in Italian, with the sub-heading in the language of the guests.

Accurate gastronomic translations are to be provided in all languages, including English.

Menus are to be considered as a 'take-home' souvenir of the cruise by guests

Mixed drinks and their prices are to be advertised prominently in the menus as well as daily wine suggestions.

BUTTER TO MEET SPECIFICATIONS

It was agreed that butter (unsalted, salted and margarine) are to be presented at all meals in the restaurant

FREE CAPPUCCINO & EXPRESSO IN RESTAURANT

The request to provide free cappuccino and expresso in the Restaurant was declined, on the basis that this is a bar-generated item.

REAL AMERICAN ORANGE JUICE AT BUFFETS

It was agreed that the juices offered at the buffet were to be improved.

IMPROVEMENT TO SELECTION AND VARIETY OF BREADS, SALADS & DESSERTS

It was agreed that the variety of bread should increase to display the Italian identity of the ship, requiring grissini to be presented at all dinners, white and brown rolls and bread, and rye bread to be baked at least twice per day. Salads and desserts are to be provided.

BASKET OF BREAD AT EACH DINNER TABLE

The request to provide a basket of bread at each dinner table be declined based on space.

OMELETTE STATION AT BUFFET

It was agreed that omelettes be included at the Breakfast Buffet, with preparation from an Omelette menu at the Grill.

MORE ASSISTANCE FOR OLDER GUESTS AT BUFFET

It was agreed that the MSC standard would always provide assistance for older or incapacited guests where it was obvious these persons required assistance.

MIXED DRINKS ON THE DINNER MENU

It was agreed that a selection of mixed drinks (1 non alcoholic and 2 alcoholic) be provided on every dinner menu, with prices also stated on the menu.

BROWN EGGS

It was agreed that brown eggs were unacceptable in the USA.

EGGS BENEDICT

It was agreed that Eggs Benedict would not have been offered.

MARTINI SERVICE

'jumbo martini' glasses were being embarked for use in three bars. These new martinis were to be promoted in the Daily Program.
Old February 12th, 2004, 10:34 PM
Patrick Newell

This really sums up our experience on the 01/26 sailing. In spit eof their so-called changes in the works this ship, it's crew, the food, entertainment (if you wish to call it that) would require a complete overhaul.
Old February 14th, 2004, 12:39 PM
Passenger

We were also on the Jan.26 sailing of the Lirica. We're definitely not "complainers" by nature, but if this was my first cruise it would be my last. Just horrible. The worst was their disorganization resulting in many, many wasted hours. Not being able to go ashore at Key West was a huge disappointment. (Does anyone know how I can find out if we paid port charges here?) Shore excursions were misleading in terms of content and length of time. The reception desk could be counted on to routinely give incorrect information. Shore excursion manager Francesca was of no help to us at all. I can't tell you how many times and from how many different staff/crew we heard this phrase: "It's not my fault". No one takes responsibility for any of the problems so I have a hard time believing they will be rectified soon. My advice..... DON'T DO IT! Choose to cruise with another line.
Old February 14th, 2004, 05:44 PM
Passenger

I know more than half of the passengers will disagree with me, but we had a very nice cruise and so did the couple we traveled with. I guess we were just lucky to have Sebastiano as a waiter who made our cruise so much more enjoyable. He was the best we have ever had. He went beyond just waiting on us . He was a friend. I will admit this line needs some help. I wish I could just talk to someone who would listen. I think It was a build up of things that bothered most people. Key West was the last straw. We made the best of everything and had a good time. We found everyone to be very friendly and helpful except Linda the American host. She seemed to not want to be bothered with our foolish questions. Most passengers didn't realize that this was a value cruise and were expecting a lot more like Chocolates on there pillow. I loved it but did my homework before we chose this line and knew what to expect. I loved the Italian music and atmosphere. Too bad so many others hated it so much . We are working on a very extensive review.

Old February 18th, 2004, 05:15 PM
Patrick Newell

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: MSC

This ship and cruise were never advertised a a value cruise. On the contrary, look at MSC's brochure. So very many misrepresentaions made. May TA was on board for 2 days to get aquainted with the ship and he was never given the impression it was a value cruise.

My impression of this cruise and the Lirica having sailed on her 01/26.....this was a VALUELESS cruise.
Old February 20th, 2004, 05:52 AM
Steven B

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: MSC

What do you mean a value cruise? Look at the price you paid for an 11 day cruise. Certainly a value compared to other 11 day cruises. Get real!
Old February 24th, 2004, 11:51 AM
Cruise Maniac

I RETURNED FROM MY TRIP ON THE 17TH..& I AGREE WITH ALL OF THE NEGATIVE REMARKS!!!THE ONLY PART OF MY TRIP THAT A REALLY ENJOYED WAS ST.BARTS.
MOST OF THE CREW MEMBERS WERE VERY VERY RUDE,BUT THAT ISNT THE WORST PART...MY TRAVEL AGENT FAILED TO MENTION THAT THE LETTERS M S C
COULD ALSO BE TRANSLATED TO.... MOSTLY SENIOR CITIZENS. I'M 28 YRS OLD & MY SISTER,WHOM I WAS TRAVELING WITH IS 23YRS...SO NEEDLESS TO SAY WE WEREN'T HAPPY CAMPERS..NOW I'M AM NOT KNOCKING THE SENIORS, THEY WERE BY FAR WAY NICER THAN SOME OF THE CREW MEMBERS!
Old February 24th, 2004, 02:46 PM
Tonia

If it hadn't been for the people that I went with, it would have been a very boring cruise. The days spent at sea were so excrutiatingly boring due to the lack of entertainment on deck. There was hardly any music on deck for the sunbathers...only in one "designated area" and when that was playing it was so low you couldn't hear it. I asked one of the crew members if they could turn the music up and she told me no because the older people on deck wanted to relax and nap in the sun. If you are under the age of 60 I do not recommend this ship for you! BORING BORING BORING!!! Don't get me wrong...it was a great itinerary, but the rude crew members,so-so tasting food, and lack of entertainment and activities on deck are not worth sailing with MSC.
Old February 24th, 2004, 06:37 PM
Passenger

Sounds like you two were traveling together.

Old February 25th, 2004, 04:17 PM
PATTY*

YOUR RIGHT DIANE, TONIA WAS THE YOUNGEST OF THE GROUP(21YRS OLD!!)
Old May 24th, 2004, 06:16 PM
Charles Melmed

Is it true that MSC hired a chef from Celebrity? If true, will he/she be responsible for the food preparation om the Lirica?
Old May 24th, 2004, 06:59 PM
Charles Melmed

I see nothing in any of these emails suggesting that the buffets will be improved. We've been on 23 cruises and the buffet on thr LIrica was the worst we ever experienced.

It's a shame because the ship itself is quite beautiful and spotless, the cabin was fine, and the "Music of YOur Life" entertinment with Les Brown Jr and the rest of the program was excellent.

Unfoprtunately, we had a novice waiter who had a poor command of English and although the service provided quite a few laughs the first few days, it got old after that and turned out to be the worse part of the cruise.

And I could not believe that anyone could ruin a lobster tail!!

We are taking the word of our travel agent who just returned from a cruise on the Lirica and rated it 8 1/2 on a scale of 1 to 10 and we signed up for the 12 day Southern Caribbean cruise on March 31. The "Music of Your Life" band is TBA. If not for this program, I don't think we would have signed up.