Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Other
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 7th, 2004, 08:31 AM
True Brit

Default MV Discovery

My wife and I were thinking about a cruise in the Pacific on Discovery so went for a ship visit when she was in Harwich recently. It was changeover day and we were given almost a free run of the ship at a time when most of the cabin doors were open. As a result I managed to take about 100 photos of all the public areas but also including lots of specific cabins by grade even including some of the newly created ones up on Bridge Deck - formerly officer quarters. I intend posting a random sample on the picture gallery but, not being on Broadband, this takes a while! If anyone wants some specific info which I might have just post a reply on this board and I will try to help. I would leave an e-mail address but my record spam intake on one day stands at 321 so I am a little careful now (the spam came as a result of using another cruise board site but I don't think it was this one.
We never went on her in her previous guise as Island Princess so have no way of knowing how much has changed but overall she seemed in pretty good condition save some of the public restrooms! Sufficient for us to have booked a fairly log cruise back from NZ to the US.
Cheers Paul
Sponsored Links
Old July 19th, 2004, 01:50 PM
First Mate

Default Re: MV Discovery

Paul, I will be sailing MV Discovery on a South Pacific eclipse cruise next April. I've booked cabin G5123 (two bed outside) on Pacific deck and would be interested in seeing any photos you have for this category. I've read that the ship has had some food quality problems since its transition to new management. I don't suppose you have any information in that regard? Thanks.

MV Discovery, South Pacific Total Eclipse Cruise
Old July 25th, 2004, 11:49 AM
True Brit

Default Re: Re: MV Discovery

Hi tr
If you take a look at the following link you will see two G cabin views www.cruisemates.com/MBindex/advice.cfm
Sorry neither are of the exact one you have booked but I think they are all pretty much the same. Cannot really comment on the food since all we had was the free lunch included in the visit (and we all know there is no such thing as a free lunch) but edible as opposed to memorable springs to mind!
We have been told by our TA that gratuities are included and so is a half bottle of wine per person per night! Ring any bells with you since if not who knows who has the deal and who does not?
See you on board but by then we might be a shade jaded!
Paul
Old July 26th, 2004, 09:06 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Re: MV Discovery

Thanks, Paul, but I believe the link you provided points to the Practical Advice forums. Also, the tipping policy may vary depending on cruise and TA. In my What to Know Before You Go document I was advised -
Quote:
TIPPING ON BOARD
We are often asked for guidance on this personal matter which is entirely at your discretion. We suggest about $7.50 per person per day, which would basically cover cabin and dining room staff. For your convenience, we automatically add 15% service charge to bar and wine orders, plus beauty salon and spa services.
There was no mention of complementary beverages. You wouldn't be thinking of the other South Pacific Eclipse cruise on MS Paul Gauguin, would you? Radisson features a generous wine allowance and the meals are memorable, as are the prices.

Post Edited (07-26-04 09:11)

Old July 26th, 2004, 02:44 PM
True Brit

O.K. tr let's try it another way .
Go to the picture gallery section of this site (under interactive features) then do a gallery search under "discovery"
You won't come up with too many options so it is fairly apparent who I am.
Thanks for the info re tips etc. but our U.K.brochure specifically states that gratuities are included and so is the wine: I will get hold of our T.A. to confirm since on a cruise of 57 days this might just have a bearing on our cabin account!!!!
See you later Paul
Old July 26th, 2004, 07:02 PM
First Mate

Thanks for the pictures. It's about what I was expecting [actually, I was hoping for a bit more space], but it should serve our needs for a few weeks. It is likely that the extra benefits are provided courtesy of your TA. The group that I'm booking with offers a less inclusive package.

Should I infer that your 57-day voyage encompasses the period from 3-19/4/2005? If so, then I do look forward to meeting you during my segment. As a veteran of 16 total eclipses, including six eclipse cruises, I have a rich store of information to share if you're interested.

Post Edited (07-26-04 19:04)

Old August 18th, 2004, 04:02 PM
david templar

HI AM TOO AM INTEREWSTEDIN DOING A DISCOVERY CRUISE. DSOING A SHIP VISIOT ON 27TH AUIG HOPING TO GET SOME GOOD PICS I WILL LOOK AT YOUR PICDS 1ST. I WAS LOOKIMNG ATBMARCGH 5TH NEW ZEALAND