CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Other (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/other/)
-   -   P & O - Oceana (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/other/255950-p-o-oceana.html)

Pringle8 August 31st, 2005 11:00 AM

P & O - Oceana

Hi all,
We are booked on the Oceana for a Caribbean trip later this year & was wondering if anyone can give me some info on what to expect from this ship ie - cabins, balconies, food & entertainment / entertainers etc.

We have booked cabin A343 & have never sailed with P&O before, I don't know quite what to expect. Going by photo's I've seen on various websites, it seems the balconies are totally enclosed unlike the Island Princess which we sailed with last year when the balconies were all partially uncovered.

Any info would be appreciated & if anyone can give me a link to any photographs of the Oceana, that would be great.

Cheers

Neelie September 4th, 2005 08:16 PM

Re: P & O - Oceana

Hi there,
I have been on the Oceana twice: the Oceana Atlantic crossing in November 2003 from Southampton to the Caribbean and then again in December 2004 on a Caribbean cruise from Barbados. It's a lovely ship and you can find lots of information about it on the P&O website www.pocruises.com. You could also try uk.groups.yahoo.com/group/welovecruising where most of the P&O fans seem to congregate
P&O is an excellent cruiseline, I would say on a par with Princess. It's probably 99% British people. Food excellent. Entertainment better than Celebrity or Princess which are the only other companies I can compare with. The cabins are also of the same standard.
Regarding the balconies, they are not fully enclosed - just a railing to stop you falling overboard.
The only complaint I had last year was that they started putting up Christmas decorations during our cruise but not for us - they were for the next cruise. On the last night in Barbados the ship was totally dead, even the bar on deck was shut - it was as if they couldn't wait to get rid of us so that they could welcome their Christmas cruisers on board!
I'm a little bored with P&O at the moment and want to try different cruiselines such as Costa, Norwegian and perhaps Holland America.
I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time - you can't really go wrong with P&O.

Pringle8 September 5th, 2005 07:48 AM

Re: Re: P & O - Oceana

Thanks Neelie....your info is much appreciated, especially since we are doing the same cruise in December (we fly home from Barbados on Christmas Eve). I was a bit dismayed to read about the last night in Barbados though, so we could probably expect the same!! Maybe a few people have complained after last year & they just might change things around for this year. Here's hoping.

Thanks again.....

Neelie September 5th, 2005 07:59 PM

Re: P & O - Oceana

We flew home from Barbados on or around 20th December but as you're going to be on the ship so near to Christmas there should be a better atmosphere and some celebrations. Surely they wouldn't save everything for the passengers embarking on Christmas Eve (which I assume is the case).

I haven't looked in this year's brochure but if the ship is docked in Barbados for the whole day before you leave (which it was in our case) then an alternative to spending the night on the Marie Celeste would be to go into town on the last night. It's not far by taxi.

By the way, regarding your other post, I don't think this particular category gets many readers. The P&O website also has a very good message board and people are very helpful so you could find out more on that site. You can also arrange to meet people on board if you want!