CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Other (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/other/)
-   -   Compare Caribbean to Burmuda (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/other/371783-compare-caribbean-burmuda.html)

buff February 17th, 2010 12:26 PM

Compare Caribbean to Burmuda

I've been on seven Caribbean cruises. I'm thinking about Burmuda in June. Can anyone give me some feed back. We love beautiful warm beaches.

Paul Motter February 17th, 2010 02:56 PM

Bermuda is a single, isolated island - it has nice weather in the summer when ships go there.

It is highly populated and known for golf courses. It also has nice shopping.

Few ships can dock in the downtown area - generally if you want to do anything you have to make arrangements to get from the ship to your destination.

There is a lot of moped rentals there, you see and hear them everywhere. It gets a bit obnoxious.

Parrot Mom February 18th, 2010 12:06 PM

Bermuda

Paul, if there is one thing I know it's Bermuda.. The island is only 19 miles wide and there are beaches all over the place. Having been to many of the Caribbean islands I can tell you when I get off the ship in Bermuda ..I'm home.. The people actually like and don't resent cruisers, they go out of their way to help you. There is a great bus and modern ferry system. Some of my favorite stores on Front Street are gone..you can do many excursions yourself like going to the Crystal Caves, Aquarium/Zoo. The one negative is that dining in Bermuda is expensive.. Charming St. George only has a few ships coming in because of the "split". the ships are too large and the split has been cut a few times already. The Dockyard has been developed with the help of NCL and a few other cruise lines and from my first cruise there with Royal Majesty has developed into a wonderful tourist area. Don't know how many ships are now docking on Front Street but it's no worse than being docked in Nassau or the other Caribbean islands like St. Thomas..Being English I love the fact that when Bermudians get on a bus they say "Good Morning" to the driver and thank him/her when they get off. Children get up from their seat and give a seat to an adult..yes, they do.. And as we say in Bermuda... "Have a Bermudaful day":D

Paul Motter February 18th, 2010 12:29 PM

Good - thanks for the help. It has been a very long for me since I have been there. (1993)

Last I heard only the Veendam was able to dock at St. George and I think even than may have been cancelled. Not sure why but it is something to look into.

Parrot Mom February 18th, 2010 12:56 PM

Bermuda

It is because of the split.. two rocks/boulders that the ships have to go through and because they are sending larger and larger ships to Bermuda they will not cut it further.. Bermuda is pretty strict on the amount of passengers etc. allowed there at one time.. As for the mopeds, the cruise ships beg passengers not to rent one. The "dirty secret" in Bermuda is the amount of severe injuries that even a helmet won't help..On our last cruise on the way back to Boston was somebody in a wheelchair, broken arms and road tan.. There were two ambulances waiting at the pier in Boston.. Sadly, it's not all tourists who are having accidents.. The government is asking scooter rental companies to make sure the renters know how to operate the scooters. One of the shops I did major damage to my credit card, I would talk to the Manager.. he was definetely against cruisers because they didn't spend $$$..Frankly I did my share in his famous shop buying english collectibles..