Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Other Cruise Lines > P & O Cruises
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 24th, 2009, 03:14 PM
Admiral

Default Are P&O too Brit?

As a Scot, but not a Brit. I fear that if I cruise on P&O that I am going to be surrounded with the English, Welsh, Scots, Irish and no real cultural diversity. All this wee waving Union Jacks stuff demanded by the English that others sit shuffling in their seats hating to so, how diverse is that??

Apart from the staff, do you get other nationalities on their cruises?

I cant stand this Rule Britannia bollocks,,oh and my point is

I fear this as a holiday and it is why I pick a more diverse line, unless you can tell me different. Tell me that is not all M&S clothes and UK flag waving with folks you would not want to meet back home
Sponsored Links
Old August 26th, 2009, 12:12 AM
Admiral

Well what DO you want? Princess usually has a good mix. American, Canadian, Brit, Ausies, Spanish some Italian, So American etc.

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Cr. Odyssey, Scandinavia, '91, 30 Day S Pac. 2002
Crystal Harm, Aust., N.Z., '94
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Ryndam, 35 day S. Am., Antarctica, '03
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Statendam, 34 day China, Japan, AK '06
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Eurodam, Atlantic, Med. '10
Golden Princess
Old August 26th, 2009, 04:21 PM
Admiral

I already do all the main stream lines so I see that diversity.

What I think I am saying is apart from those nationalities quoted above, ie Brits. You dont get Americans, Canadians, French (do they cruise) Spaniards etc cruising on P&O.

WHY

Maybe why I dont cruise on Italian owned cruise lines as I will be surrounded by them,,no diversity,,oh and loud
Old September 3rd, 2009, 09:30 AM
Beginner

I only think P & O is to Brit with the food. I like Princess and RCCI for food choice.
Old October 19th, 2009, 04:38 PM
Cruise Maniac

They wave the Scottish flag, Irish, Welsh and English fLag at sailaways with songs for each.

You are British aren't you? you live in GREAT BRITAIN, just like I do in England!
Old November 2nd, 2009, 03:32 PM
Admiral

But where is the muli cultural diversity,,its like little Britain at sea. How many people do you meet on average that dont come from some part of the UK?

Is it a line for xenophobics?
Old November 21st, 2009, 01:43 PM
Beginner

well all i can say with your attitude we would all be better of if you dont cruise with po you do get all other nationalitys on board people like you give the scotts a bad name
Old January 11th, 2010, 03:58 PM
Admiral

Oh Pasty, what exactly did I say that offended you here? And please tell me about those other nationalities as that is my question as a comparison to other main line cruise ships that sail in Europe and also from Southampton. I don’t know what you are trying to defend here.

Oh and there is only one "t" in Scots, just an observation.

LibraLass

Do they also wave American, Canadian, Australian, Italian or German flags or do those folks just do what?

Last edited by DayvidB; January 11th, 2010 at 04:03 PM.
Old January 20th, 2010, 12:34 PM
Beginner

Default the british

we all live in the united kindom and to the best of my knowledge Scotland is in the united kindom so why have a go at the english all nationaltys go on PO cruises we have friends all over the world they allso fly there flags on board so why is it the Scots have a big problem
i am english and very very proud to be so
get a life
Old January 20th, 2010, 07:30 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by DayvidB View Post
As a Scot, but not a Brit. I fear that if I cruise on P&O that I am going to be surrounded with the English, Welsh, Scots, Irish and no real cultural diversity. All this wee waving Union Jacks stuff demanded by the English that others sit shuffling in their seats hating to so, how diverse is that??

Apart from the staff, do you get other nationalities on their cruises?

I cant stand this Rule Britannia bollocks,,oh and my point is

I fear this as a holiday and it is why I pick a more diverse line, unless you can tell me different. Tell me that is not all M&S clothes and UK flag waving with folks you would not want to meet back home

Lat month we did a 12 night Caribbean cruise and twice we were docked alongside Ocean Village. which is part of P&O. It sails out of Barbados but all the passengers were "Brits" who had flown over. They departed before us and they all lined up along the rail waving their flags, singing and even doing an improvised wave! Everyone on our ship started doing the same thing-it was an absolute hoot! You might be more comfortable on Holland America...ZZZZZZZZZZZZ
Horizon 2000
Summit 2001
Sovereign of the Seas 2003
Noordam 2003
Zenith 2004
Mercury 2005
Princess Sun 2006
Princess Sea 2007
Constellation 2008
Mercury 2009
Constellation 2010

Celebrity Silhouette
Old February 8th, 2010, 03:03 PM
Admiral

"so why is it the Scots have a big problem i am english and very very proud to be so
get a life "

No you are English, big E,,,really big E,,,,,,you just dont get it do you and the poster above does not either. Yes I am a Scot and I travel all over the world, but I do not have to wave a little Union Jack or Saltire to say "who I am". You think its fun, a bit of a laugh, but sorry it's an example of times gone past, the land of Hope and Glory and all that bollocks, its all in your head not mine.

Last night of the proms, a perfect example of English, not British trying to stand on the top of everyone else.....thats why Scots can have a problem

People with class or those with a wider view of the world would never take part in such a ship flag waving excercise of things past and a token of when England ruled the waves. mm I think around Liz the first. How many hundred years ago was that?

England has never "ruled" anything since and if you think you rule us, mistake

Sorry, you dont rule anything, and we have moved on and your now a land of hope to the migrants and fighting amongst your self as to how to deal with them ,,,catch up

Last edited by DayvidB; February 8th, 2010 at 03:11 PM.
Old February 12th, 2010, 08:09 AM
Beginner

I can only suggest that you take a cruise on a ship designated for the Scots...problem solved..........if you want to gripe about the English on cruise ships why on earth would you even consider P&O....
Old February 16th, 2010, 03:53 PM
Admiral

Thank you all for your responses, my suspicions have been confirmed
Old February 25th, 2010, 09:54 PM
First Mate

Support bacteria, it's the only culture some people have!

Unfortunate as it may be, the port of embarkation seems to dictate where the majority of passengers call home.
2004 "Glory"
2004"Victory"
2007 "Liberty"
2007" Explorer of the Seas
2009 "Valor"
2009 "Fascination"
2011 " Pride"
2014 "Adventure of the Seas"
Old March 24th, 2010, 04:51 PM
Beginner

Default giving the scots a bad name

well your last quote tells all you really do give the people from Scotland a bad name if you travel all over the world as you say i do hope you have the manners to be more polite i am British and english and very proud of it the united kindom will allways be the land of hope and glory my son fights for the freedom of the united kindom and i do belive that incluids [Scotland as a lot of lads from scotland allso fight for the united kindom so may we long fly the united kindom flag and the George Cross flag and the Saltire flag to say we are all together and be proud of it
i just feel very sorry for people like you
Old March 24th, 2010, 06:20 PM
Admiral

Most seem to like the sailaway parties, they seem to have "fun", I find them a bit embarrassing to be honest.
Old May 26th, 2010, 09:06 PM
Admiral

David, see what you have done. You got the troll bock on here!!

I have never sailed on P&O, so I have to take your word for it. I would be offended in the passengers on Carnival or RCI started running around waving US flags and claiming how great my country is.
Old May 26th, 2010, 11:39 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

I canna say....

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old May 27th, 2010, 12:58 PM
Cruise Maniac

Back on the topic... As a North American Cruise Agent, P & O is not marketed to us AT ALL.

They are NEVER mentioned when our other reps under the Carnival 'flag' come to brief us or at our national conferences. This would explain why there are so few North American clients on board (or at least Canadians)

I completely understand why you would like to cruise with people of other nationalities and am really blown away by people who reply to these threads looking for a fight and take wanting to meet other nationalities as a slight on your own 'countrymen'.

Until P&O markets their ships and itineraries in North America, you will see a demographic of primarily UK clients.

Have a great day!
Old May 27th, 2010, 03:57 PM
Admiral

On another forum I saw a thread from a Canadian who wanted to meet up with friends who were cruising out of Barbados with P&O on a fly cruise. He was having no luck in booking this so I tried from this side of the pond, didn't help that the mad people at Cruise Critic kept zapping the posts, but the upshot is we could book it but it was NOT straight forward, mainly because they only sell cruises with flights.
Old May 28th, 2010, 12:49 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnthed0g View Post
On another forum I saw a thread from a Canadian who wanted to meet up with friends who were cruising out of Barbados with P&O on a fly cruise. He was having no luck in booking this so I tried from this side of the pond, didn't help that the mad people at Cruise Critic kept zapping the posts, but the upshot is we could book it but it was NOT straight forward, mainly because they only sell cruises with flights.

Hello John,
I was probably the one to your comment and thanks to a good TA on Vancouver Island who spoke to a good Princess Agent , our trip from / to Barbados is booked for cruise only at price expected.
Couple of points here;
- Anytime you take a cruise from a countries home port you will see a majority of that countries passengers onboard and a mixture of other nationalities.
- Depending on the Air fare to get to that port then the mixture will change.
- Being a Brit by birth and a Canadian married to a Barbadian my outpour of joy will depend where I am and my quiet nature of Brit/Canadian can be let loose in the Caribbean.
- Has our poll originator even been on a ship ported out of San Juan when they offer local citizens special prices or out of Mexico a wild cruise with happy people in Spanish. Last I knew Scotland was part of the British Isles and some of the wildest party folks I've seen are from Scotland.
- So what if people wave a flag... When I was in Scotland they had a Brass Band to welcome us...
_ The British Isles cruise I took was majority Brits out of Southampton and on the Island plus us others from around the world.
- P&O itself does have a broad range of cruisers and where they offer air/cruise packages you will get folks from same areas together like a rugby team. they are on vacation.
- P&O offers cruise to Alaska and you can book from NA but they will try to get you to book via the UK. You just have to ask questions.

As long as you treat me with respect then I will also as we both paid for the same trip
Cheers
Web site: http://robbarcruises.wordpress.com/

Last edited by robh; May 28th, 2010 at 12:55 AM.