CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   P & O Cruises (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/p-o-cruises/)
-   -   Well we are off on AZURA!! (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/p-o-cruises/378617-well-we-off-azura.html)

johnthed0g December 9th, 2010 05:23 AM

Well we are off on AZURA!!

If anyone is interested we are off on Azura for a month long Caribbean /USA cruise this weekend, booked it nearly two years ago....I really should start saving up....this is the link if you wish to see.
http://www.pocruises.com/en/Cruises-...ry&Search=true

Mike M December 9th, 2010 05:46 AM

John,

Have a wonderful and safe cruise and enjoy the Caribbean!!!

I look forward to hearing about your month long adventure when you return.

Take care,
Mike

Trip December 9th, 2010 09:18 AM

Book big or go home,and you did....good for you! When do you go?

johnthed0g December 9th, 2010 10:02 AM

We travel to Gatwick tomorrow & fly to Barbados on Saturday.

Kuki December 9th, 2010 10:04 AM

Bon Voyage you Dog :)

anniegb December 9th, 2010 03:31 PM

John- enjoy your cruise and all those formal nights.:D

johnthed0g December 9th, 2010 04:22 PM

I am going to rebel...not doing the semi formals, waste of time, 3 nights out of 28, I have to pack a jacket with all the stuff to match, just no room with 8 formals to dress for....it will be the buffet for us then hide I suppose...

johnthed0g January 9th, 2011 12:36 PM

Just back & tired...all fine but had the 'Flu!!
I wish cruise lines would either drop the dress codes or uphold them, I was told if I didn't wear a jacket on "semi -formal" nights I could eat in the buffet but was only allowed in the outside bars, I was sick on a couple of these nights so didn't venture out BUT my wife did & there were plenty of people who were allowed in the MDR & bars/venues. I bought a jacket ashore in order to comply but others were allowed to go where they liked some just in T shirts, I find this annoying...sad? maybe, but if I gotta do it so should everyone else, as far as I am concerned if I have to wear a jacket & nobody else is required to it's personal discrimination in a way!

anniegb January 9th, 2011 12:53 PM

John

Welcome back! I hope the flu did not spoil your enjoyment of the cruise too much!

You did miss all the fun and games when the snow struck London. Our local airport (Gla) was taking diverted flights from round the globe!

As you know, we don't always agree on formal nights:D but I agree with you - the cruise line should be consistent! There you are - we agree on something!:D I find it strange they were inconsistent - wonder why?

When you have unpacked etc - it would be good to hear a critique on your cruise.

BTW - a belated Lang may yer lum reek!

Annie

anniegb January 9th, 2011 03:32 PM

Did you not take your flu jab? I know supplies are in short supply your side of the border but we have a little stockpile! We could have posted some down!

Annie

johnthed0g January 9th, 2011 03:47 PM

Well if they specify a dress code I try to observe it & so should eveyone...if not forget the lot. I missed almost all the USA ports & barely left the cabin for about a week (including two of the semis). Some people died of it, rumoured between one & six people!
Didn't know about flu jabs in general, I know they exist but that's it. People that had them were less affected for sure.
One REALLY annoying thing was we wanted to use the private area ''The Retreat'',(pool & sunbeds), but they sold all the places to people who arrived the first day (ship takes two days to load/unload).

Mike M January 9th, 2011 03:52 PM

Welcome home Jon.

I am so sorry to hear about the flu bug. It sounds like it was a nasty one.

I agree that if a cruise line is going to have a dress code then they should enforce it.

Hope you're feeling better,
Mike

johnthed0g January 9th, 2011 04:11 PM

Thanks Mike,
We reckon it was "Swine Flu"...the plane home was just awful with people coughing & sneezing.

johnthed0g January 17th, 2011 06:16 PM

Comments are filtering through on the P&O site, one thread is "The cruise from hell"....ok the weather wasn't the best, the MDR seemed variable at first, one or two acts were not too good entertainment wise, but most were excellent, there were some rude (old) people, & a Flu epidemic. But "cruise from hell'' hardly, it must be difficult to keep people entertained for a month, we thought it was fabulous & loved the ship, always something to do/see in the evening, lots of places to eat & drink too. We thoroughly enjoyed the cruise & the ship, we would return in a heartbeat & didn't want to get off. I think anyone who didn't wouldn't enjoy anything!!

anniegb January 17th, 2011 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnthed0g (Post 1343495)
there were some rude (old) people

Never! What nationality ? Did you manage to 'avoid' them?

I remember vividly on the Az Journey - at the end of a fabulous TA, I was in the Internet Centre and an elderly gentleman using an adjacent PC was composing a letter of complaint esp the food - I was gobsmacked!

Thanks for the critique - I did read somewhere else on the internet that there seemed to be a few determined 'whingers' on board and sometimes that can spread like a virus.

Annie

johnthed0g January 18th, 2011 04:29 PM

Difficult to avoid those who push into queues, or barge into lifts without giving the occupants a chance to get off...& perhaps the food & plate fondler's. Oh yes the ''I'm a Gold card holder y'know!!'' I wonder if he ever got that card out from where I poked it....There was some bad behavior that lead to expulsions but we didn't see it personally.
My main criticisms were unavailability of areas like "the retreat", fully booked although ''pre booking'' was not ''possible'' & really not enough deck space.Never got into 17 either, always fully booked but appeared empty??

Spartan kent June 20th, 2011 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnthed0g (Post 1341124)
Just back & tired...all fine but had the 'Flu!!
I wish cruise lines would either drop the dress codes or uphold them, I was told if I didn't wear a jacket on "semi -formal" nights I could eat in the buffet but was only allowed in the outside bars, I was sick on a couple of these nights so didn't venture out BUT my wife did & there were plenty of people who were allowed in the MDR & bars/venues. I bought a jacket ashore in order to comply but others were allowed to go where they liked some just in T shirts, I find this annoying...sad? maybe, but if I gotta do it so should everyone else, as far as I am concerned if I have to wear a jacket & nobody else is required to it's personal discrimination in a way!

Hi John

As you know from other forums we went on Azura in March :D

I found the dress code very strange when it came to semi formal, you could wear an open neck shirt and as long as you carried a jacket over your arm you could use the MDR ect. :confused:

Pointless rules the other strange thing was the gratuities we managed to change to flexible dinning much better service but you could still stop the gratuities yep the empty restaurant on the last night syndrome :shock:

Lets see if I can post a picture :)

http://public.bay.livefilestore.com/...058.JPG?psid=1

Spartan kent June 20th, 2011 12:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnthed0g (Post 1343742)
Difficult to avoid those who push into queues, or barge into lifts without giving the occupants a chance to get off...& perhaps the food & plate fondler's. Oh yes the ''I'm a Gold card holder y'know!!'' I wonder if he ever got that card out from where I poked it....There was some bad behavior that lead to expulsions but we didn't see it personally.
My main criticisms were unavailability of areas like "the retreat", fully booked although ''pre booking'' was not ''possible'' & really not enough deck space.Never got into 17 either, always fully booked but appeared empty??

Hi John

This is the view you could have had in the retreat ;)

http://public.bay.livefilestore.com/...223.JPG?psid=1

http://public.bay.livefilestore.com/...222.JPG?psid=1

http://public.bay.livefilestore.com/...219.JPG?psid=1

johnthed0g June 20th, 2011 07:51 AM

Gee thanks!! showing what I missed!! All I can say is we went to the spa as quickly as physically possible after boarding to be told all sea days sold out, what annoyed me was I KNEW that would happen on a two day boarding situation, all gone to 1st day passengers...stoopid, but do they care? nope, they sold the places so they were happy.

johnthed0g June 20th, 2011 09:24 AM

I think Spartan means it was odd that you could change to Flexible dining (where grats are automatically added to your account) yet people could stop them & should not be able to......