Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Other Cruise Lines > P & O Cruises
Register Forgot Password?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old January 26th, 2012, 06:03 AM
johnthed0g's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 2,653
Default World Cruise Cancelled!!

P&O have cancelled the world cruise for Azura 2013...imagine that your holiday of a lifetime, saved for years, agonised over which ship/itinery, booked the cabin you wanted....then....
__________________
Some answer questions...I also question answers
JTD 2010
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old January 26th, 2012, 08:33 AM
Trip's Avatar
Moderator
Admiral
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Boston
Posts: 19,780
Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default

Any reasons beeing bandied about>
__________________


Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator


Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old January 26th, 2012, 09:40 AM
johnthed0g's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 2,653
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Any reasons beeing bandied about>
Economic climate they say, she is being redeployed to the Caribbean where she usually is at that time. My opinion is that the typical world cruiser is more traditional & Azura is too modern for them. Apparently some do world cruises every year, beyond me where the money comes from!!
__________________
Some answer questions...I also question answers
JTD 2010
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old January 26th, 2012, 01:33 PM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 1,207
Default

It's 2013, lots of other world cruises to pick from.
__________________
Upcoming:

Hawaii By land x 2
Paris and German Christmas Markets
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old January 26th, 2012, 04:25 PM
johnthed0g's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 2,653
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackypup View Post
It's 2013, lots of other world cruises to pick from.
Maybe... but if you maybe pre-registered before the general release to get exactly what you wanted & now it gets cancelled you would be disappointed. As I see it those who book these cruises do so as part of a plan & tend to do it early, it's less than 12 months to the 2013 Worldie season so possibly all the most desirable cabins are gone & the best prices too? Another thing is Azura has single cabins, these sell out quickly.
__________________
Some answer questions...I also question answers
JTD 2010
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old January 26th, 2012, 04:40 PM
johnthed0g's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 2,653
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackypup View Post
It's 2013, lots of other world cruises to pick from.
Maybe... but if you maybe pre-registered before the general release to get exactly what you wanted & now it gets cancelled you would be disappointed. As I see it those who book these cruises do so as part of a plan & tend to do it early, it's less than 12 months to the 2013 Worldie season so possibly all the most desirable cabins are gone & the best prices too? Another thing is Azura has single cabins, these sell out quickly.
__________________
Some answer questions...I also question answers
JTD 2010
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old January 26th, 2012, 04:49 PM
Moiraine's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 3,473
Default

I am sorry John. I hope you can find another one that isn't too bad. I know you are really disappointed, I would be too. Please tell us if you find something.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old January 26th, 2012, 05:02 PM
johnthed0g's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 2,653
Default

I'm not on the bloody cruise, too much for us!! I just mentioned the cruise being cancelled as a point of interest!
Thanks for caring mate anyway.
__________________
Some answer questions...I also question answers
JTD 2010
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old February 5th, 2012, 09:31 AM
Banned
Cruise Maniac
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: E.U.
Posts: 110
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnthed0g View Post
I'm not on the bloody cruise, too much for us!!
As a point of interest, how much is a world cruise on P&O cruises ?


Thanks

Lynn
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old February 5th, 2012, 09:40 AM
Senior Member
Cruise Maniac
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 145
Default

£9500-£15,000
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old February 5th, 2012, 02:12 PM
johnthed0g's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 2,653
Default

I will answer too, from maybe £10,000 per person inside through £15,000 for a balcony...to heaven knows for a suite! Then you have the spending money to add on for 100 days, then insurance & tips...Obviously people afford these cruises but how on earth they do I don't know. Downsizing homes, pension payments/insurance payouts?? I think about £40,000 for two would be about it.
__________________
Some answer questions...I also question answers
JTD 2010
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old February 6th, 2012, 04:39 PM
johnthed0g's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 2,653
Default

You would have to have so much spare money to do this wouldn't you? Not just have the actual cash but have it spare so that yu wouldn't miss it. Another world.
__________________
Some answer questions...I also question answers
JTD 2010
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old February 12th, 2012, 12:56 PM
johnthed0g's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 2,653
Default

I was going to say that P&O isn't what it was, but don't cater for the bottom end of the market....then I thought...I suppose they do really, people return with tales of unruly drunken behaviour, dress code "violation" etc. Caribbean cruise are worse for this. Brits tend to like P&O as they know what they are going to get. I haven't noticed the free for all at the self serve except for breakfasts, we like P&O well enough & they are convenient for us, but as for loyalty, I don't think so, it's just business really.
__________________
Some answer questions...I also question answers
JTD 2010
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old March 28th, 2012, 08:32 AM
Junior Member
Welcome Newcomer
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2
Default

Well just want to know how much is a world cruise on P&O cruises?
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old June 13th, 2012, 07:50 PM
Junior Member
Welcome Newcomer
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1
Default

[B][COLOR="DarkRed"][B]be happy!!!

Aurora, P&O World Cruise 2012 experience....a nightmare!

I want to express our experience to you about P&O Aurora World Cruise 2012 as follows. Besides that I also have to mention that the crew and especially the cleaning staff, waiters and assistance at reception did extraordinary jobs.

The cruise started for us with asking P&O office for assistance or at least the right information in case of a lacking India Visa. We were told by P&O office that without the Indian Visa we are not allowed to enter the ship which later on at the departure date turned out as not being the correct information that was given to us. Because of that we needed to change flight schedules for several hundred's of dollars and phone calls for over a 100,00 Euros because of being forwarded from one department to the other without not getting helpful information. Finally the result was that all these expenses were not necessary but because of non sufficient information given from P&O office and Visa department in Southampton. An employee from P&O at Southampton Port allowed us to enter the ship but informed us that if we didn't have this Visa we would be unable to board but would have to disembark in a port prior to India. So I would say there is a lack of information from one office to another with P&O employees.

At the same time we received the information that the port in Acapulco/Mexico was canceled because of safety issues without replacement nor any compensation.

Shortly after we got announced that also Cochin as the second Indian port was canceled, but later on replaced with Muscat/Oman. We were told because of problems with landing slot's in Cochin!?

The day as we entered the ship we were told that the so called “Noro virus” (vomiting and diarrhea) was on the ship. The rumors in between the passengers was that the virus was already on board before embarkation. Aurora's captain told it was brought by the passengers. From the first day we were bothered with several daily announcements about this issue and got “forced” to hand sanitizing around every corner of the ship until the rest of the cruise even that it was told later the situation was solved before the port of San Francisco.

The next change was made in Colombo/Sri Lanka (regular scheduled inbetween 6 am. and 16:30 h) because of the tide in Mumbai. The stay at this port of call from finally 8 am. To 12:30 h was reduced by another 5 1/2 hours.

After Madeira the ship started leaking in certain sections through broken and corroded water pipes. There were buckets placed all over the ship so that later on officials made jokes “that is for providing drinking water to the drug sniffing dogs”. Towards the end of the cruise more buckets got added because the problem got worse. I am talking about having buckets on the ship, in the theatre, hallways and staircases over more than 90 days! We were just lucky that we did not sit down in the “Curzon” theater as a pipe broke there and caused lots of damage and flooded the place that there was no entertainment for almost 2 weeks available.

There was a drug bust starting in San Francisco which caused inconvenience for lots of passengers including us who were not even involved. Drugs were found on the ship which is of course not a problem of P&O but to keep going with their standards and comforts as well as the promised itinerary for us passengers I will count P&O cruise line responsible for it.

We were just lucky that our cabin (might!) not have been searched by officials getting under common suspicion and having drug dogs sniffing through our personal stuff. The next complication out of that was another cancellation of the port of call in “Yorkey's knob” Australia without replacement nor compensation. This because of demands from the authorities having again drug searching facilities available on the landing site. Because the new allocated landing spot was too far to reach by the tender boats the port was canceled entirely with the single replacement of another 5 hours in Abu Dabi.

Further on at least on 23 ports of call (including Singapore) we had no proper cruise terminal. It was either a container port or tender boat operation for disembarkation within all it's inconvenience that it takes. I know that the landing fee's for those proper cruise ports are probably high 5 digit if not 6 digits amounts for those like Singapore and Sydney!

Because of “security issues” the stay in the port of Istanbul was also reduced by approx. 12 hours not allowing us to leave the ship again at night on the first day and on the second day like the itinerary stated. Then early in the morning at 6:45 am a short term announcement was made that the ship will leave at 7:00 am. We were expecting to have a breakfast and coffee outside the port at the same day and having had left some Turkish currency for that reason besides the general inconvenience being involved in another change or reduction while expecting the presence of the scheduled itinerary until 11 am. for the 4 th of april.
Passengers were not allowed to leave the ship anymore after 10:30 pm the 3rd of April. As the ship was leaving the port of Istanbul another big cruise liner came in and it was looking like we were almost “pushed out” of the pier.

The above mentioned problems I would call general organization and maintenance matters as well as not taking care or not feeling responsible for advertised itineraries like promoted prior to booking.

Now I want to mention the following situation on our stateroom on C-deck. The cabin was making noise all day and night due to the location above the engine section. The subdivision and ceiling panels of the cabin were vibrating on a high frequency so that I needed to get up almost every night to press or shake the panels to just interrupt it for a while. After complaining we were told that there is a ventilation unit behind the cabin and offered to move to another cabin. Because the shown cabin was far from the convenient aft deck and was also making noise we decided to stay in our crackling cabin.

The toilet flush in our cabin was malfunctioning at least once every other week so that sometimes bad smelling sewage was drafting back from the entire system because we were the last cabin on this deck. Sometimes the bad smell remained for hours in the cabin because of that problem. And it was a repeating problem. Also one night the bathroom was flooded by water back drafting out of the toilet.

Of course it is P&O's decision to do major maintenance on railings during a 3 month world cruise but I have never seen before that the entire wooden railings got taken off step by step and got sanded and varnished and replaced during regular cruise business as well as paint jobs. For more than 2 month there were signs “wet varnish” sticking on the railings and floors upfront one after the other day telling you not to touch them. Those inconvenient procedures were nor mentioned nor expected when booking the cruise and they seem to be very strange to us.

By the way we believe it's wise to mention in P&O world cruise advertisement that the promenade deck will be shut from 6 pm until 6 am. because of probable piracy attacks. The promenade deck including illumination was shut down for approx. 2 weeks of the cruise and not available at these times inbetween Mumbai and Port Suez. Of course all this in consideration of safety concerns!?

During several tender boat operations the engines broke down at least 3 times as far as we know and caused huge delays for all passengers besides our booked Cairo excursion at 3:30 am that day as they started fueling the tender boat before we could get on board. We were sitting 45 min. in the boat because of an actually 10 min. boat ride that morning as the engine of a tender boat broke down in front of us.

The peak of it all was our “wake up call” at 1:30 am on the 9th of April as a waterfall caused by a corroded pipe was running down the cabin door and started pouring in our room. The water was pouring in huge amounts for almost an hour and flooded inside the cabin as well. To minimize damage we had to put towels in front of the door and lift up certain things and gather personnel items at 2:30 in the morning before getting relocated to another cabin on deck 10 with a tooth brush, wet jeans and flip flops.

Putting our impression and experience of this P&O world cruise together even though comparing an average daily price we paid for this trip towards former cruises we have taken in the past by receiving higher quality standards regarding the ship itself and level of entertainment to a way lower average rate for instance with Cunard, Holland America and Celebrity. We must say that we were far from our own expectation and far from P&O promised and advertised standards which made it an unforgetable experience of vacation which of course it was but in the opposite way. We were also far from almost every scheduled itinerary and the amount of ports of call which was an important fact for booking this cruise on the Aurora.

P&O never responded to any complaint, honestly they give a S..t on their clients after they have paid!

If I put it together in one short term: forget about P&O!
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old June 13th, 2012, 09:39 PM
Marc's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Huntsville, AL
Posts: 3,612
Default

I understand that P&O will rendevous seven ships just so they can share spare parts.
__________________
Marc

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Silversea Silver Explorer (23nts) - Kangerlussuaq, Greenland - Nome, Alaska - Aug 14

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old June 25th, 2012, 09:50 AM
johnthed0g's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 2,653
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard the first View Post
[B][COLOR="DarkRed"][B]be happy!!!

Aurora, P&O World Cruise 2012 experience....a nightmare!

I want to express our experience to you about P&O Aurora World Cruise 2012 as follows. Besides that I also have to mention that the crew and especially the cleaning staff, waiters and assistance at reception did extraordinary jobs.

The cruise started for us with asking P&O office for assistance or at least the right information in case of a lacking India Visa. We were told by P&O office that without the Indian Visa we are not allowed to enter the ship which later on at the departure date turned out as not being the correct information that was given to us. Because of that we needed to change flight schedules for several hundred's of dollars and phone calls for over a 100,00 Euros because of being forwarded from one department to the other without not getting helpful information. Finally the result was that all these expenses were not necessary but because of non sufficient information given from P&O office and Visa department in Southampton. An employee from P&O at Southampton Port allowed us to enter the ship but informed us that if we didn't have this Visa we would be unable to board but would have to disembark in a port prior to India. So I would say there is a lack of information from one office to another with P&O employees.

At the same time we received the information that the port in Acapulco/Mexico was canceled because of safety issues without replacement nor any compensation.

Shortly after we got announced that also Cochin as the second Indian port was canceled, but later on replaced with Muscat/Oman. We were told because of problems with landing slot's in Cochin!?

The day as we entered the ship we were told that the so called “Noro virus” (vomiting and diarrhea) was on the ship. The rumors in between the passengers was that the virus was already on board before embarkation. Aurora's captain told it was brought by the passengers. From the first day we were bothered with several daily announcements about this issue and got “forced” to hand sanitizing around every corner of the ship until the rest of the cruise even that it was told later the situation was solved before the port of San Francisco.

The next change was made in Colombo/Sri Lanka (regular scheduled inbetween 6 am. and 16:30 h) because of the tide in Mumbai. The stay at this port of call from finally 8 am. To 12:30 h was reduced by another 5 1/2 hours.

After Madeira the ship started leaking in certain sections through broken and corroded water pipes. There were buckets placed all over the ship so that later on officials made jokes “that is for providing drinking water to the drug sniffing dogs”. Towards the end of the cruise more buckets got added because the problem got worse. I am talking about having buckets on the ship, in the theatre, hallways and staircases over more than 90 days! We were just lucky that we did not sit down in the “Curzon” theater as a pipe broke there and caused lots of damage and flooded the place that there was no entertainment for almost 2 weeks available.

There was a drug bust starting in San Francisco which caused inconvenience for lots of passengers including us who were not even involved. Drugs were found on the ship which is of course not a problem of P&O but to keep going with their standards and comforts as well as the promised itinerary for us passengers I will count P&O cruise line responsible for it.

We were just lucky that our cabin (might!) not have been searched by officials getting under common suspicion and having drug dogs sniffing through our personal stuff. The next complication out of that was another cancellation of the port of call in “Yorkey's knob” Australia without replacement nor compensation. This because of demands from the authorities having again drug searching facilities available on the landing site. Because the new allocated landing spot was too far to reach by the tender boats the port was canceled entirely with the single replacement of another 5 hours in Abu Dabi.

Further on at least on 23 ports of call (including Singapore) we had no proper cruise terminal. It was either a container port or tender boat operation for disembarkation within all it's inconvenience that it takes. I know that the landing fee's for those proper cruise ports are probably high 5 digit if not 6 digits amounts for those like Singapore and Sydney!

Because of “security issues” the stay in the port of Istanbul was also reduced by approx. 12 hours not allowing us to leave the ship again at night on the first day and on the second day like the itinerary stated. Then early in the morning at 6:45 am a short term announcement was made that the ship will leave at 7:00 am. We were expecting to have a breakfast and coffee outside the port at the same day and having had left some Turkish currency for that reason besides the general inconvenience being involved in another change or reduction while expecting the presence of the scheduled itinerary until 11 am. for the 4 th of april.
Passengers were not allowed to leave the ship anymore after 10:30 pm the 3rd of April. As the ship was leaving the port of Istanbul another big cruise liner came in and it was looking like we were almost “pushed out” of the pier.

The above mentioned problems I would call general organization and maintenance matters as well as not taking care or not feeling responsible for advertised itineraries like promoted prior to booking.

Now I want to mention the following situation on our stateroom on C-deck. The cabin was making noise all day and night due to the location above the engine section. The subdivision and ceiling panels of the cabin were vibrating on a high frequency so that I needed to get up almost every night to press or shake the panels to just interrupt it for a while. After complaining we were told that there is a ventilation unit behind the cabin and offered to move to another cabin. Because the shown cabin was far from the convenient aft deck and was also making noise we decided to stay in our crackling cabin.

The toilet flush in our cabin was malfunctioning at least once every other week so that sometimes bad smelling sewage was drafting back from the entire system because we were the last cabin on this deck. Sometimes the bad smell remained for hours in the cabin because of that problem. And it was a repeating problem. Also one night the bathroom was flooded by water back drafting out of the toilet.

Of course it is P&O's decision to do major maintenance on railings during a 3 month world cruise but I have never seen before that the entire wooden railings got taken off step by step and got sanded and varnished and replaced during regular cruise business as well as paint jobs. For more than 2 month there were signs “wet varnish” sticking on the railings and floors upfront one after the other day telling you not to touch them. Those inconvenient procedures were nor mentioned nor expected when booking the cruise and they seem to be very strange to us.

By the way we believe it's wise to mention in P&O world cruise advertisement that the promenade deck will be shut from 6 pm until 6 am. because of probable piracy attacks. The promenade deck including illumination was shut down for approx. 2 weeks of the cruise and not available at these times inbetween Mumbai and Port Suez. Of course all this in consideration of safety concerns!?

During several tender boat operations the engines broke down at least 3 times as far as we know and caused huge delays for all passengers besides our booked Cairo excursion at 3:30 am that day as they started fueling the tender boat before we could get on board. We were sitting 45 min. in the boat because of an actually 10 min. boat ride that morning as the engine of a tender boat broke down in front of us.

The peak of it all was our “wake up call” at 1:30 am on the 9th of April as a waterfall caused by a corroded pipe was running down the cabin door and started pouring in our room. The water was pouring in huge amounts for almost an hour and flooded inside the cabin as well. To minimize damage we had to put towels in front of the door and lift up certain things and gather personnel items at 2:30 in the morning before getting relocated to another cabin on deck 10 with a tooth brush, wet jeans and flip flops.

Putting our impression and experience of this P&O world cruise together even though comparing an average daily price we paid for this trip towards former cruises we have taken in the past by receiving higher quality standards regarding the ship itself and level of entertainment to a way lower average rate for instance with Cunard, Holland America and Celebrity. We must say that we were far from our own expectation and far from P&O promised and advertised standards which made it an unforgetable experience of vacation which of course it was but in the opposite way. We were also far from almost every scheduled itinerary and the amount of ports of call which was an important fact for booking this cruise on the Aurora.

P&O never responded to any complaint, honestly they give a S..t on their clients after they have paid!

If I put it together in one short term: forget about P&O!
Post this on P&O's Facebook site...
__________________
Some answer questions...I also question answers
JTD 2010
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
2012, azura, blogs, cancellation, cancelled, cruise, cruises, forum, forums, mate, po, review, reviews, trips, week, world

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cruise Cancelled Marc Chit - Chat for Cruisers 7 October 11th, 2010 05:44 PM
They cancelled my cruise! Ahoy_Don Carnival Cruise Lines 20 December 12th, 2006 05:28 PM
cancelled cruise? Denny Ask CruiseMates Staff 3 January 29th, 2005 10:38 PM
my cruise CANCELLED Campbellsoupgrl14 Carnival Cruise Lines 6 January 19th, 2005 10:06 AM
cruise cancelled Sandysnow Carnival Cruise Lines 8 June 28th, 2004 05:19 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


 

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:16 PM.
design by: Themes by Design

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1