Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 18th, 2000, 04:59 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki
Default Favourite Princess Ship?

What's your favourite Princess Ship? I've been on the Grand, which underwhelmed me a bit, and the Ocean which I really liked!!
I know Princess passengers are a pretty devoted bunch so let us know which your favourites are, and a bit about why.

Regards,
Kuki
Features Editor
CruiseMates.com
Sponsored Links
Old August 18th, 2000, 05:36 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default RE: Favourite Princess Ship?

So far, with only one Princess cruise for me I was pleasantly suprised with everything on "Ocean", would certainly cruise with Princess any day. In fact
I sure hope to soon :-)

Donnassei/Sealover
Old August 18th, 2000, 11:51 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Couldn't disagree more... I loved the Grand, and especially the Mediterranean itinerary. In fact, we are doing a CruiseMates cruise on the new Golden Princess next September, 2001, on the same Barcelona to Istanbul itinerary, and I recommended it to the whole Motter clan, we are going to take as many as 11 cabins.

I think the ships is very entertaining, I love the dining options, mini-golf, virtual reality center, big screen movies in the theater, stage shows...

Old August 21st, 2000, 09:34 PM
First Mate

I've only cruised once - Sun Princess, Alaska; but loved it so much we've booked on the Ocean's Panama Canal repo. next April, San Juan - Vancouver. How do the two ships compare? Is there any difference at all?
Old August 21st, 2000, 09:44 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Bumble Bee,
Was on Ocean earlier this year and found it just wonderful, if you liked "sun" you are sure to enjoy ocean as well. I really loved the food and the service, entertainment was Ok, nothing great, but overall love the Princess expierence.
Enjoy the canal, another cruise I want to do some day :-)

Donnassei/Sealover
Old August 21st, 2000, 10:05 PM
sea daze

HI! JUST BOOKED TODAY ON GOLDEN PRINCESS! MED. CRUISE 05-28-01. S0-0-0-0 EXCITED - BEAUTIFUL SHIP- PRE-CRUISE 2 DAYS BARCELONA & 1 DAT POST CRUISE ISTANBUL. SORRY I'LL MISS THE CRUISEMATES CRUISE IN SEPT. SUZIE
Old August 21st, 2000, 10:21 PM
Vicki C

We were on the Dawn last December, she was beautiful, everything was wonderful. We are going on the Sea Princess in Oct. through the Panama Canal. Cannot wait. Was on the Jubilee to Alaska in May and Princess just blows Carnival out of the water. Everything about Princess is better, cleaner, nicer and better done.
Vicki
Old August 22nd, 2000, 06:34 AM
Administrator
Admiral

sea daze wrote:
>
> HI! JUST BOOKED TODAY ON GOLDEN PRINCESS! MED. CRUISE
> 05-28-01. S0-0-0-0 EXCITED - BEAUTIFUL SHIP- PRE-CRUISE 2 DAYS
> BARCELONA & 1 DAT POST CRUISE ISTANBUL. SORRY I'LL MISS THE
> CRUISEMATES CRUISE IN SEPT. SUZIE

Hi Susie - we are sorry we will miss you, too. But have a fantastic cruise. How close is that to the inaugural? You know Grand Princess was late 2 years ago, right?
Old August 22nd, 2000, 10:32 AM
sea daze

OH NO! IT'S THE NEXT ONE! MAY 16 IS INAUGURAL & I BOOKED THE 28TH. i'LL KEEP MY FINGERS & TOES CROSSED & BE AN EXTRA GOOD GIRL! <G>
Old August 22nd, 2000, 10:35 AM
First Mate

I loved the Sea Princess and Sun Princess they are the right ship for me.
I like the Mini Suites the best on this ship!! Nice and large with a nice sized balconys. Food and entertainment were Good to Very good!! With Friendly Crew ready to help at anytime. And the Wheelhouse bar is one of the best at sea!!
I really like High Tea and Princess does this right!! White gloves, scones, teas with milk....OH YEA. Oh before I forget the Pasta is the best!! Each night the dining room has a different pasta. YUMMMY!! These are just a few things I like best about Sun, Sea Princess.

Michael
AKA "Mr. Princess"
Old August 22nd, 2000, 11:28 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Grand Princess made her second cruise - they only had to cancel the first one. We ended up on the "first" one because we went on the second one - if you get my drift :-)

sea daze wrote:
>
> OH NO! IT'S THE NEXT ONE! MAY 16 IS INAUGURAL & I BOOKED THE
> 28TH. i'LL KEEP MY FINGERS & TOES CROSSED & BE AN EXTRA GOOD
> GIRL! <G>
Old August 22nd, 2000, 06:31 PM
Admiral

How about a kind word for the Crown Princess (and by reference, the Regal)? I think both are superb vessels. Their most recent renovations have given them a certain "panache" in their public areas. The Crown's dining room is delightful as are many of her lounges. Also, cabins on both ships are roomy with lots of storage space... in most the walk-in closet arrangement leading to the bathroom makes them almost like a two room suite. We find, on the Crown, a lot of very senior staff in the Dining Room and elsewhere and it is reflected in the high levels of service on board. While we were on her last January, she was voted #1 in the Princess fleet internally. Really a nice ship giving a good cruise experience.
Ernie
Old August 22nd, 2000, 08:03 PM
cattman

Of the 3 Princess ships I've sailed(Crown, Dawn, and Sea), my vote goes
to... the Sea. You'd think being sisters, the Dawn and Sea would be comparable... but we found the food and service much better on the Sea...
The Crown has some great things going for it, though, fantastic service, outdoor seating at the buffet restaurant(cant remember the name), and those
great hot tubs right on the water -
Old August 22nd, 2000, 08:04 PM
cattman

Absolutely no comparison...
Old August 22nd, 2000, 08:44 PM
Babette

I love three ships.... all for various reasons: The Grand, Pacific and Royal. I really can't pick a favorite so to speak... though I loved the charm and traditional cruise ambiance aboard the Pacific to Bermuda. And she also had the best food I've experienced to date on Princess. Had they charged me for my meals... it would've been more than my cruise fare! Back to Atkins for me!!
Old August 22nd, 2000, 10:17 PM
Cruising Guy

Thinking back to the many Princess ships we've sailed, I guess we have three favorites at this point in time. First has to be the Star Princess, the first ship we had ever sailed. We enjoyed our first ever cruise so much that we repeated the same ship, same itinerary - and sailing with the same Captain. We knew then that we would continue to sail with Princess.

Next would be the Royal Princess, smaller. intimate, and absolutely charming. Several members of the crew aboard the Royal Princess recognized us from previous cruises on the Star Princess that it almost appeared to be a family reunion.

Lastly, we were thrilled to have sailed on the Grand Princess. It was truly grand in every way - and our third time sailing with the Captain we met on the Star Princess. To have been upgraded to the Penthouse Suite on the Royal Princess, and the Owner's Suite on the Grand Princess, made for two memorable cruising experiences.

Currently we are booked on the new Golden Princess sailing from Barcelona next September and looking forward with eager anticipation to that voyage!
Old August 22nd, 2000, 11:11 PM
LEtue

We have only been on one Princess cruise on the Grand last Thanksgiving and it was the best cruise yet! Loved the freshwater pools, hot tubs that were open at night, 24 hour dining, dining options, and the entertainment!

Our cruise on the Splendour in May was nice but it wasn't Princess....

Also, where is the information on the CruiseMates cruise for next September???
Old August 22nd, 2000, 11:17 PM
Cruise Maniac

Cattman,
The Dawn was our first cruise, to Alaska. This is the ship that turned me into an immediate cruise addict. Captain Bernie and Staff made us feel like royalty and almost every aspect of the cruise was magical.
After reading your post, I know that we will have to try the Sea Princess ,as well as the Ocean and Pacific. We are booked on the Crown 9/14/00, and have cruised on the Sun and Grand. The Dawn is our favorite thus far. Our favorite itinerary has been the Grand Med. WOW!
Take care and good cruising.
Bop
Old August 23rd, 2000, 10:18 PM
LEtue

Paul,

Can you post the details on the CruiseMates cruise for next September on the Golden Princess?

Linda
Old August 23rd, 2000, 10:20 PM
Wayne & Tommie

We've been on the Crown, Dawn, Grand, Sky, and Sun. Contrary to Kuki we like the Grand Princess the most. Although the ship was almost fully booked for its inaugural transatlantic, we found it to be more intimate then the other smaller ships in the fleet. And we NEVER experienced lines anywhere on board, or for embarkation or debarkation in ports, which is something we CANNOT say for the other ships. The food & service were outstanding, and the amenities on board varied and comprehensive.

Lastly, we were upgraded to a Vista Suite which helped make that one of our most enjoyable cruises ever; so much so that we will be on the Grand again next year (this time in an Owner's Suite).
Old August 24th, 2000, 10:40 AM
dsawyer

Hi Bop and everyone,
I have also cruised on the Dawn and The Grand and I loved both of them. My husband liked the Dawn better because it was the "classic" ocean liner with the wrap-around teak promenade deck. My favorite was the Grand because of the choices that were provided - choices for dining and for entertainment. It also has a teak wrap-around deck but not in the classic design of The Dawn. I love Princess so much that I am willing to room with my mother on The Sea Princess in April to the Western Caribbean because my husband won't go. He says he is tired of the Caribbean. Anyway need to spend time with my Mom.
Dsawyer
Old August 25th, 2000, 11:46 PM
Cruise Maniac

Enjoy everyone's comments...only sailed Princess once so far. Grand Princess this past May. Really liked it and will sail Princess again. Friends got married in St. Thomas at Bluebeard's Castle which was wonderful...it was a toss up getting married on the ship or off----just the two of them and us as their witnesses. They got a better package which was less expensive and as it turned out I think better than what the ship was providing for 4 people. The 2 rolls of film that the photographer took were such wonderful photos for them. Plus we took pictures onboard the ship in wonderful locations prior to leaving for the wedding in our formal clothes too.
I really thought the room service worked amazingly well on a ship so large. The horizon court was the best buffet service I have had on a ship. Food was always freshly prepared and served in smaller trays so it never was blah. Plus I thought the variety and selection was higher fare than most buffets. The two alternative dining rooms we ate in for lunch two times while at sea. Entertainment was good, loved the various pools which were never super crowded.
I think the dining rooms were just ok. My preference is to have the larger more glamorous type multi level dining rooms that RCI has been building on their ships. Just makes the dining experience more fantastic for me. I realize Princess made the concerted effort to give it "a small ship feel" but I was not that impressed with the dining rooms. I also missed the ship shape program that RCI has which is geared to involve as many passengers as possible which provides and promotes more inter-action. The cruisersize(?) program on the Grand was too geared to the workout room and higher level aerobic activity level and not well promoted. I enjoy trying to earn and collect those 10 shipshape dollars for items only available by earning them. :-)
Other than that Princess did a super job and we would sail her again. The staff and crew WERE friendly and accomodating and not what we had read in various bulletin board posts. We went on the cruise kind of expecting a crew that wasn't going to be very friendly and found the opposite which was nice.
Keep those comments coming - it really helps to pick out the next ship or cruise line to sail.
Old August 26th, 2000, 11:54 AM
Passenger

Have sailed on the Star, Sun, Dawn and Grand. I think our favorite was the Star dueto less passengers and a real friendly crew.
Old August 26th, 2000, 07:22 PM
Admiral

Bumble Bee,

I have cruised aboard MV Sun Princess (twice), MV Sea Princess, MV Grand Princess, and MV Ocean Princess. There are five noticeable differences between MV Sun Princess and her newer two sisters.

>> 1. At the aft end of the Baja Deck, MV Sun Princess has full suites inboard and minisuites outboard. All three newer sisters (MV Dawn Princess, MV Sea Princess, and MV Ocean Princess) have full suites outboard and minisuites inboard.

>> 2. The bridge wings are open aboard MV Sun Princess (and, if I remember correctly, aboard MV Dawn Princess). MV Sea Princess and MV Ocean Princess have enclosed bridge wings, with the observation area above the bridge extended over the bridge wings.

>> 3. The treatment of the area between the two main swimming pools is somewhat different. MV Sun Princess has a waterfall on the front of the upper pool and a footbridge over the stream from the waterfall to the lower pool. MV Sea Princess and MV Ocean Princess have spray jets in the front of the upper pool and no footbridge.

>> 4. Several of the public spaces have different names (see the diagrams in the cruise brochures) and the arrangement of furniture varies in the Wheelhouse Bar to accommodate display cases of different sizes.

>> 5. The original artwork is, of course, completely different.

If you have taken a cruise on any of the four sisters, you will feel right at home the moment you set foot on any of the others.

Norm.
Old August 27th, 2000, 03:04 PM
susanscruisin

I like the Royal Princess real well which seems small by today's standards. All outside cabins so everyone gets to look out a porthole or window (unless the lifeboat is in the way)! The buffet dining area was super, you could always find a table and inside but still with a view. Medium size ship with a great layout, but at least 15+? years old already!!! I even liked the small ships (Island & Pacific) as you seemed to run into the same people alot! I haven't tried the newer ones and would like to go on the Sun I think. I am not interested in the Grand as I travel alone and depend on meeting and running into the same people. Difficult on a mega ship. I went on the Crown last year and did not like it; not enough views to the sea, had to work at getting a look outdoors. Strange design and no one has copied it!!!! If I find a deal, I always go on Princess in a minute, I've never been disappointed in the service, staff, room or food. I generally change ships, and try different lines. The only ship I sailed on more than once was the Norway and I would again if she goes on a special itinerary.
Old August 27th, 2000, 11:50 PM
Admiral

Paul,

I agree with your comments regarding the ports of call on the "Grand Mediterranean" itinerary. It's truly superb!

BTW, I really like the new message boards. The hierarchical threading is great!

Norm.
Old August 28th, 2000, 12:10 AM
Admiral

Susan,

Travelling alone, I have had no trouble meeting people even aboard MV Grand Princess. A few recommendations if you are in this situation:

>> 1. Request a large table for dinner. You might not relate to everybody, but you probably will relate to somebody. Also, you probably will have dinner companions every night even if a couple of your tablemates decide to eat elsewhere.

>> 2. Take shore excursions from the ship rather than going off on your own, especially in the first few ports of call.

>> 3. Go to the "Singles Mingles" to meet other solo travellers, many of whom are very interesting folks!

>> 4. Go to the activities and events that are of interest to you. That's where you will meet other folks with similar interests, and the chances are that many of the people who participate in a particular activity or type of activity will do so consistently.

If you do this, your odds of making lifelong friends actually might be better on a larger vessel!

Norm.
Old August 28th, 2000, 12:13 AM
Admiral

Kuki,

Most people's favorite ship is their last ship, and MV Ocean Princess really did capture my heart last March -- but right now I'm looking forward to my third cruise aboard MV Sun Princess ("Classic Panama Canal" Puerto Caldera to San Juan, 30 October-09 November).

Norm.
Old August 29th, 2000, 03:57 PM
cattman

Hey Bop -

Don't get me wrong... I enjoyed the Dawn(she's still better than other ships I've sailed), I just felt the dining room food and service was not up to the quality I'd come to expect from Princess. Hey, every ship has a bad week...
In fact, I thought it was just fine until I sailed the Sea. The ship was cleaner, the crew friendlier(to be fair, the Dawn trip was the last of the season, the crew could'nt wait to get back to the Carribean), the food better... unfortunately, the entertainment was still lackluster...
Old August 29th, 2000, 10:10 PM
Admiral

KUki... am I having dejavou again? Or have we been here before?