Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 30th, 2000, 02:31 PM
rprehoda

Default Air Deviation Fee

I recently booked a cruise thru the Panama Canal this October.At the time of booking,I was advised that Princess would fly me out of one of two local airports(Dulles or Reagan National).I requested Reagan since I am only 7 miles from there. The other day I was advised by my cruise company that I would have to fork over an additional $100.00 ($50.00 per person) to guarantee that I would fly out of Reagan.Can anyone out there explain to me what cost an extra 100 bucks to arrange a flight out of one airport vs. another? Another point--Princess charges $35.00 per person for an air deviation.My cruise travel agency socked me 50.00!!When I asked how come their only answer was "company policy".

Ron P
Sponsored Links
Old August 30th, 2000, 03:37 PM
First Mate

Default RE: Air Deviation Fee

Ron,

I called Princess (Air Dept) today 8/30 and they told me that the fee starts at $35 per person.
It could be up to $50 depending on what sailing you are on. What is your Cruise date? Ship? This can make a difference. Could you let me know.

Michael Sinn
Cruisemates.com
Old August 30th, 2000, 07:52 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Ron,
Thats exactly what an air deviation is. The fee used to be $35.00, but noticed that most lines are now charging the 50. You should also be able to pick the air line and flight times that are best for you. Have heard of some really bad flight times for people, so I'd rather pay the extra fee and get what works out better for us.
Hope you get some good flights and enjoy the cruise.

Donnassei/Sealvoer
Old August 31st, 2000, 11:06 PM
BillG

I noticed in the brochure of another cruise line that in the coming year the air deviation fee is increasing from $35 to $50 per person. Apparently many if not all of the lines are implementing this increase, which they would claim is to cover the administrative costs of making individualized air arrangements for their passengers. If you read enough posts from passengers complaining about the regular air schedules the cruise line provides them if they don't use air deviation, you may decide that even the increased fee is worth it. I regularly recommend checking our your flight options and prices before deciding whether or not to book your flights through the cruiseline or on your own. Once you know what the prices and possible schedules are, you can make a more informed decision.
Old September 2nd, 2000, 06:09 PM
Admiral

There is another alternative. I usually book my own air, often at prices lower than what the line charges. The worst case is if the line has to cancel my cruise and I have to pay a change fee to apply the cost of the ticket to another trip, but I'm way ahead even if that does happen. I usually buy the airport transfers through Princess, so they meet my flight just as though I had booked my air throuh them.

If you don't quite trust yourself to book your own air, your travel agent can do so. Most travel agencies seem to waive their surcharges for issuing airline tickets if you book the flights as part of a cruise or resort package.

Norm.
Old September 3rd, 2000, 10:26 PM
Vicki C

I let Princess book my air this time. When I checked, the price I could get was about the same as they charged. I figured that way if their is a problem at least they know I am on my way.
Vicki
Old September 7th, 2000, 11:44 AM
Admiral

Have used Princess' air deviation several times. It is $35 per person. I'd say that your agency is making a little extra off you.

Probably too late for you to book your own air, but I am doing the Sun Princess from Costa Rica to San Juan November 19. I arrange my own on most of my cruises and found a deal.

I am flying out of National, but back into Dulles. Yes, some coordinating is going to have to be done, but I got it for $200 less than Princess was asking.