CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Princess Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/princess-cruise-lines/)
-   -   Princess liquor policy (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/princess-cruise-lines/220839-princess-liquor-policy.html)

Bob September 4th, 2000 06:57 PM

Princess liquor policy

I will be sailing on the Grand Princess in December. What is the policy for bring-aboard liquor? Carnival prohibits it and any you buy onboard or in port is held for you to the end of the cruise. RCI is the opposite, buy it onboard, take it to your cabin, and, if you want to bring your own wine for dinner, you can either pay a small corkage charge (or tip the wine steward and share your wine with him). Is Princess reasonable about this?

Donna September 4th, 2000 07:46 PM

RE: Princess liquor policy

Hi Bob,
Back in March we were on Ocean Princess and my husband did bring some beer on board and had no problem. Not sure if their policy has changed since then or not, but it was fine then. Hope you have no problems, it was nice to have some beer in fridge and some soda for me.

Donnassei/Sealover

Bumble Bee September 4th, 2000 08:31 PM

Princess has no policy against bringing your own - our steward even got me very nice extra glasses without my asking; plus they have a new service where you can order alcohol to be in your stateroon when you embark - more expensive ($25-$35/litre) than taking your own, but cheaper than buying drinks at one of the bars.

BillG September 8th, 2000 09:00 PM

I think that if you check Princess' brochures you will find that Princess' official policy does not permit you to bring alcohol onboard with you. However, what the official policy is, and how strictly it is enforced may be two totally different things. I suspect that unless you are trying to bring cases of beer or alcohol onboard with you, there should be no problem. They will not, however, allow you to buy bottles of liquor onboard and bring it back to your stateroom. Royal Caribbean does sell bottles of liquor on board (at prices that are competitive with what you will find in the ports) and allows you to bring those bottles back to your cabin.

JMB September 9th, 2000 11:10 AM

I have another question in regard to Princess liquor policy. Can you purchased liquor duty free in SanJuan to bring on board to your stateroom.?

norm September 9th, 2000 11:33 PM

JMB,

I don't think that you can purchase liquor duty-free in San Juan. It's part of the States for customs purposes now. If you have a cruise that ends in San Juan, you clear U. S. customs as you come off the vessel. The flight from San Juan to the mainland is treated fully as a domestic flight.

Norm.

ELHARE September 10th, 2000 12:10 AM

I have several late model brochures from Princess Lines and have looked through all the fine print and have not come up with anything in regard to bringing your own on board. Can anyone give me a quote out of one of their brochures? When aboard the Crown Princess in 1998 there was no problem in any way including buying your stache from the ships store. I know times and business practices change but I would sure like to know before my next cruise if there really is a "new" policy.

Bumble Bee September 11th, 2000 09:28 AM

There is nothing in the brochures because they no longer have a policy. You may bring your own onboard if you wish; you may pre-order from Princess for your stateroom; and on some cruises duty-free alcohol sold onboard is held until the last night, and on others it is released for consumption through the entire cruise - they do not make this info. public in advance.

Lou A September 19th, 2000 02:43 PM

Did not have a problem in Europe on Royal Princess...we brought wine & other alcholic beverages on board

Janman September 29th, 2000 03:22 PM

We have brought wine aboard on many cruise.We were charged a $10 corking fee for wine brought to the table on our recent Princess Grand Med cruise.Celebrity charged us $6. RCL had no set amount at the time(last Jan.) so we just gave the normal tip.