CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Princess Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/princess-cruise-lines/)
-   -   Deck Cadet Vacancy? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/princess-cruise-lines/220846-deck-cadet-vacancy.html)

Dani September 8th, 2000 07:36 AM

Deck Cadet Vacancy?

I have been navigating as a deck cadet onboard a container ship (13.769 GRT/ 165 meters/1.033 TEUS/Spanish Flag) and now it is my desire to find a vacancy onboard a cruise ship as a deck cadet as well to achive more experience.
Does anyone know anything about vacancies onboard this kind of ships? Thank you for everything and I will be looking forward to hearing from you.

Donna September 8th, 2000 12:55 PM

RE: Deck Cadet Vacancy?

Hi Dani,
You should go to the different cruise line's web sites, I have seen areas on them for employment. Give that a try and see how that works, good luck. What exactly does a "deck Cadet" do? Thanks and hope you can find the job that you are seeking.

Donnassei/Sealover

Dani September 11th, 2000 08:15 AM

hi Donna!
Thx for replying. I saw many cruise line's web pages, some of them with employment opp. and others without that. I hope the answer me soon.I deck cadet has to learn what a 1st, 2nd or 3rd officer do. He needs 1 year navigating to achieve his/her merchant marine tittle and one day become a captain(2 or 3 years). Watch out while navigating, manouvring the vessel, cargo plans, docking the ship...... Anyway all of that you could see onboard a ship. If you go to cruise ship ask to see the bridge, you will enjoy.
Thx and take care

Donna September 11th, 2000 02:21 PM

Hi Dani,
Thank you for clearing that up with the job that you are now doing. Hope you have some luck in employment. Is your goal to be a captain some day? Good luck and happy sailing.

Donnassei/Sealover

Carole Dunham September 20th, 2000 05:37 PM

Hi Donna,

I met the deck cadet on our Ocean Princess cruise. He was a very nice young British man, very concscientious and polite. He was lowering the lifeboat for a drill, a crew drill. Like the airhead I can sometimes be, I was standing right under the lifeboat as it was brought onboard. He kindly moved me out of the way.

Carole

Donna September 20th, 2000 09:00 PM

Hi Carole,
I had no idea there was such a job on the cruise ship. I will make an effort to look more closely the next cruise, thanks for the note. Glad you liked Victory, can't wait to hear all about it :-)

Donnassei/Sealover

Dani September 25th, 2000 01:44 PM

Hi Donna!
You are going onboard soon. I can guess you like sea and ships.
Well, could you do me a favour? If you see a deck cadet could you ask him What company has employed him? I really would like to get my Merchant Officer tittle onboard a cruise ship.
Thank you for your help and enjoy your next trip.
dani

Donna September 25th, 2000 07:11 PM

Hi Dani,
I'll sure do that if I can find the cadet, never knew there was one on the ships, but will ask. I don't cruise until next April. If you could drop me a line sometime in
April to remind me, I'd appreciate it, thanks and good luck. Are you getting anywhere finding a job?? Do let me know whats happening :-)

Donnassei/Sealover

Dani September 26th, 2000 04:24 PM

hi donna
still at home. I am waiting different companies call me to go onboard. Companies managing petrol tankers or container ships. I really do not mind to go to any kind of ship but I would rather a cruise ship and if I can't I should go to other one. I have apply at different cruise companies but they haven't response yet, maybe they do ordinary mail for requests so I'll have to wait. I hope they call me and who knows, I'll show the bridge department!!

Regards from Spain, Donna.

Donna September 26th, 2000 05:45 PM

Hi Dani,
Were you able to get in touch with the human resources at any cruise line companies?? I'm assuming that you were (hopefully) able to e-mail or send them your resume? Hope you hear something soon, expecially from a cruise ship if thats what you wish to do. Keep me posted and hang in there.

Donnassei/Sealover

Dani October 22nd, 2000 12:51 PM

Hi Donna!
I have sent many e-mail and faxes to different companies and only from United Kingdom have answered me, but they said there were not any suitable vacancies at the moment. well i'm going to a gas tanker next week, so i'll think it wil be easier when i have my merchant marine officer license.
Take care and i'll writte u soon, byeeeeee

Donna October 22nd, 2000 03:41 PM

Hi Dani,
Glad you found a ship to work on, not what you are looking for, but its something and you will be able to get your merchant marine officer license. What all does that really mean? Sounds like a good thing to have in the line of work you do.
How long will you be gone?? Do be careful and take care.

Donnassei/Sealover

Dani October 23rd, 2000 04:48 PM

Hi !!
i'm going onboard a gas tanker if everything is going well. i should be onboard on friday. all i have to do is learn, learn and learn. navigate, manning the ship, charts, loading and unloading the ship.... things like that. i think i am going arround the mediterranean sea, suez channel, italy. i'm not sure if i'll go arround north sea, i hope so. and i would like to go to singapur or australia or new zeland. anyway all i have to do is learn. i need 9 months and i'll have my license. but i think i'll be onboard periods of 3 months,but if people is nice i'll be longer.
ok, i hope to write you soon.
here u can see the ship i'm going on. i dont know the name but it will be one of them.
enjoy, and take care
www.naftomar.gr

Donna October 23rd, 2000 06:40 PM

Hey Dani,
Bon Voyage and just remember to learn, learn and learn. Hope you get you license in the 9 months and do great.

Donnassei/Sealover

Dani October 25th, 2000 10:08 AM

hi again donna!
i'm going onboard on friday!! I have to fly to EL CAIRO (Egypt) and i'll be navigating arround Suez Channel, Sudan, the name of the vessel is Gaz Baltic. anyway, it's not a cruise ship but it's my future, gas tankers, petrol tankers and who knows maybe one day , ill be on a cruise ship.
Take care, byeeeeeee

Donna October 25th, 2000 10:25 AM

Hi Dani,
No cruise ship this trip, but may-be in your future??? Hope you learn everything you need to know and have a safe voyage!!

DOnnassei/Sealover