CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Princess Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/princess-cruise-lines/)
-   -   OCEAN PRINCESS (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/princess-cruise-lines/220854-ocean-princess.html)

Bob September 12th, 2000 12:31 PM

OCEAN PRINCESS

GOING ON OCEAN PRINCESS DEC 3 2000.HAS ANYONE BEEN ON THE OCEAN THAT NEEDED SPECIAL DIET NEEDS.MY WIFE IS ON A NO SALT DIET AND EATS PLAIN BROILED FISH OR CHICKEN AND STREAMED VEGS .WILL SHE HAVE A HARD TIME GETTING THIS.

PEB September 12th, 2000 02:01 PM

RE: OCEAN PRINCESS

Have not been on the Ocean but when my wife and I were on the Sun, my wife had no problem with having special requests for her diet. She just talked to the head waiter and whatever she requested was done. The head waiter even let her look at the menu for the next day so she could tell him how she needed something prepared and she was always satisfied.

Donna September 12th, 2000 05:15 PM

Hi Bob,
Princess should be able to get you the special diets with no problem. Be sure to mention this to your waiter on the first nite and he'll make sure you and your wife won't go hungry. We were recently on Ocean and the food was absolutely delicious, many fantastic pasta dishes offered each night and their dessert menu had loads of chocolate dishes that were out of this world.

Donnassei/Sealover

Bumble Bee September 12th, 2000 07:06 PM

Bob, you can make a special diet request (along with entering credit card and immigration info.) by going to Princess' Captain's Circle page if you have your booking number.

Kuki September 12th, 2000 07:59 PM

BOB wrote:
>
>
> GOING ON OCEAN PRINCESS DEC 3 2000.HAS ANYONE BEEN ON THE OCEAN
> THAT NEEDED SPECIAL DIET NEEDS.MY WIFE IS ON A NO SALT DIET AND
> EATS PLAIN BROILED FISH OR CHICKEN AND STREAMED VEGS .WILL SHE
> HAVE A HARD TIME GETTING THIS.
Bob,
The Maitre D will be most accomodating, but so as to not leave anything to chance, have your TA call Princess special needs dept. and just to be sure have them get a confirmation of your request in writing.
Regards,
Kuki
Features Editor
CruiseMates.com

norm September 15th, 2000 11:01 PM

Bob,

In my experience, Princess's dining staff does an exceptional job of accommodating special requests. Usually by the second night of the cruise, I start ordering a custom salad of lettuce, tomatoes, and carrots in place of the salad suggested on the menu and have never been refused. I even watched a tablemate describe how she prepares Caesar salad to a head waiter who subsequntly prepared it to her specification for the whole table throughout the duration of the cruise! Even requests for variations in the preparation of entrees seem to be no problem at all.

As you describe it, your wife's diet sounds like it will be no problem at all, though I do agree with Kuki's suggestion about having your travel agent relay it to Princess in advance. In addition to the nightly menu, Princess offers several standard dishes that are "always available" even when not listed explicitly on the menu (usually on formal nights). The "always available" items include entrees like Black Angus Sirloin (tends to be somewhat fatty, as is typical of Black Angus beef), grilled chicken breast (consistently excellent), and some sort of grilled or broiled fish filet. Also, the pasta(s) of the day are always available with "red" (tomato) sauce even if it does not appear explicitly on the menu. Further, the dining staff are very willing to "mix and match" any combination of vegetables, potato, rice, etc., that are available each evening. Thus, I think that your wife will eat quite well!

I also should mention that the buffet in the Horizon Court has such an extensive selection of items that your wife should have no trouble finding something that she can eat.

Be sure to eat lunch in the pizzeria at least one day. The pizzas are excellent!

Norm.

Pamela M September 16th, 2000 05:40 PM

On two occasions last week (on Ocean Princess) I dined with two individuals who had special diet needs. Their diets were special in deed, and not just a preference of taste or weight watching. One of the ladies advised me she had alerted the head waiter when she first boarded, and each night they would take her order for all her meals (B,L,D) for the following day. She had very stringent needs and at the time I met her all her needs had been met thus far. The other lady was ill, and had been instructed by the ship's doctor to eat specific foods with specific preparation. When I sat with her she explained the doctor's order to the waiter, and he arrived at her place setting with poached white fish and steamed vegetables--just as the doctor had ordered.

Personally, I would take all meals in the dining room so there is control over the food and/or preparation needs. Fortunately, I am able to eat what I want so I was most impressed to see that my shipmates were graciously and carefully served.

Have a fabulous time!

Pamela

Carole Dunham September 20th, 2000 04:33 PM

When we were on Grand Princess a gentleman at our table was only allowed to eat chicken breast broiled without skin, plain rice, steamed vegetables and salad with lemon juice. He got it.

Carole

Bob October 1st, 2000 05:58 PM

I WANT TO THANK ALL YOU YOU WITH YOUR ANSWNERS YOU HAVE PUT MY MIND AT REST.
THANK YOU

BOB