Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 26th, 2000, 07:20 PM
web

Default Ocean Princess 11/12/00

This will be our 5th cruise and 1st on Princess. Who can tell me about the ship?
How extensive is the Room Service Menu? Favorite places on the ship? Post
cruise shore excursions in San Juan-( our flight doesn't leave until late afternoon)
How about the laundry- I REALLY want to take less than 80 lbs of luggage this
time . Happy sailing to all.
Sponsored Links
Old September 26th, 2000, 08:26 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default RE: Ocean Princess 11/12/00

Hi Web,
We were also on Ocean earlier this year and as for the late flight home, we ended up signing up for an excersion which ended up at the airport. We had already bought the transfers, but after signing up for the tour, they gave us a credit for the price of the transfers. Depending on how late your flight is, you could spend the time before flying at a nice hotel, but we didn't have that much time, so had a tour of Old and New San Juan.

Another nice feature of the ship, there's a self-serve laundry room on each guest floor, 2 washers and 2 dryers, iron and board also. You needed quarters for the soap and machines, but it sure saves lugging extra clothes and helps not having suitcases full of dirty clothes when getting home.

The ship is beautiful and you'll love the service etc you get from a Princess cruise. If you can, be sure to be out on deck when you leave San Juan, really neat cruising by El Morro on the way out of the harbour and thats the only time I actually heard the "love boat theme". Hope you have a great cruise, sure you will.

Donnassei/Sealover
Old September 26th, 2000, 10:12 PM
Carole Dunham

I met Donna on that Ocean Princess cruisemates cruise. Can second everything she says. Not a very extensive room service menu, but you get fruit in your cabin every day and a refrigerator so we'd bring things from the buffet and stash them in case of future munchies. We took the post cruise excursion to the resort. Very nice relaxing way to spend the day. Have a great cruise.

Carole
Old September 29th, 2000, 05:05 PM
10X

Every time I read something about this ship it's always in the superlative. I'm booked for 2-4-01 and I am getting more and more anxious every day.
Old September 29th, 2000, 08:18 PM
Admiral

Hi 10X,
Just a pic to get you even more in the mood :-) Ocean Princess was docked in St. Thomas, enjoy.

Donnassei/Sealover

Old September 30th, 2000, 08:44 PM
Passenger

Donna, thanks for the pix, I am getting psyched . . .only 6 weeks to go!
Old September 30th, 2000, 09:02 PM
Admiral

Webb,
Make sure to share some of your great pics when you return, 6 weeks will fly by, you'll be suprised, take care. Glad you liked the picture :-)

Donnassei/Sealover
Old October 2nd, 2000, 01:33 AM
Admiral

Carole,

Although the core "room service menu" is limited, room service also will bring anything on the respective dining room menu during the dining room meal hours.

Norm.
Old October 2nd, 2000, 02:04 AM
Admiral

Web,

There are several things to check out aboard the ship.

>> The Horizon Court provides continuous food, fantastic views in the daytime, and live entertainment in the evening. During the day, it features breakfast, lunch, and dinner buffets. In the evening, the outer area becomes a bistro (sample menu at http://www.princess.com/onboard/menu4.html) and the area around the dance floor usually has a live combo for dancing.

>> The pizzeria at the top of the atrium is a great lunch spot. It's also open in the evening if you want a snack after the show.

>> Also for lunch, the outdoor grill at the forward end of the pool area has more than your basic hot dogs and burgers, including some "surprises" like knockwerst or bratwerst and sourkraut.

>> Be sure to go to afternoon tea in the dining room at least once durning the cruise!

>> If you enjoy wine, the wine tasting (which usually occurs in the afternoon on the first day at sea) is an exceptional opportunity. There's a charge ($5 per person) to attend the tasting, but you receive a credit of $5 if you order a bottle of wine (to be served at dinner) at the close of the tasting. Thus, it costs nothing to sample five wines (two whites, two reds, and a champagne). The head waiters and the wine stewards also explain the wines and remain on hand to answer any questions that you may have, either in general or regarding a specific wine.

>> Whatever you do, don't miss dinner in the dining room and the production show!

>> The Wheelhouse Bar has a reasonable dance floor and two groups that play dance music from 5:00 PM to 1:00 AM.

>> During days at sea, I like to "chill" in one of the magical teak lounge chairs on the shady side of the Promenade Deck.

>> I have yet to make it to a sing-along in the atrium lounge, but they seem to be extremely popular.

There are three one-time events that are not to be missed:

>> The Captain's "Welcome Aboard" Cocktail Party (usually held in the atrium),

>> "Island Night" (usually held in the pool area) -- and be sure to check out the vegetable carvings and ice sculptures on the Island Night Buffet, which might be set up in front of the outdoor grill on the lido deck, and

>> The "Champagne Waterfall" (usually held on the second formal night), where they serve free champagne to everybody and invite ladies to come up and have their pictures taken with the Maitre d' pouring champagne into the stack of glasses.

Additionally, if you are into baudy English humor, you probably will enjoy Pub Night.

And then there are the ports of call, which have their own message board....

Norm.
Old October 2nd, 2000, 03:41 PM
10X

Donna,
Thanks for the picture. I'll get some digital photos and return the favor.

Since my last message, Lori Cunningham has made the cruise even a little nicer by coming up with a $480 reduced fare for us. We could have upgraded and still saved money. This is the second fare reduction she's found for us. She's great.

Denny (10X)
Old October 2nd, 2000, 06:09 PM
Admiral

Hi Denny,
We too booked with Lori for our Ocean cruise last March with a bunch from
Cruisemates and yes she handled everything for us just fine. How nice for you to get two fare reductions, we weren't so lucky, but can't complain, had a great time on Ocean, which I'm sure you will too.

Looking forward to your photos too :-)

Donnassei/Sealover
Old December 28th, 2000, 03:59 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to Mark Send a message via Yahoo to Mark

We're booked the same cruise. Going with 12 couples from Michigan. For the first time (this is our 6th cruise), we're leaving a day early to have some time in San Juan.
Old December 28th, 2000, 04:18 PM
Admiral

Hi Mark,
Thats always the safest thing to do and you can enjoy San Juan before you cruise and also be nice and rested up for the cruise. We did this in the spring of this year and its really the way to go, especially if you come from the colder climates, never know what the weather will be like. Have a great time!

Donnassei