Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 29th, 2000, 01:24 AM
Topper

Default Sea in dry dock???

I heard, read, or I may have even dreamed the SEA was going into drydock in October for a couple of weeks. Anyone else heard or seen any mention of this? I will be sailing on her November 11. And if this is true, is it accurate to assume when she returns to her sailing schedule she will be in "like new" condition aestetically and mechanically?
Sponsored Links
Old September 29th, 2000, 06:39 AM
thulewx

Default RE: Sea in dry dock???

I went to the Princess homepage and their "Cams" portion shows the cameras on, but it also says location is "in drydock." No mention how long - all cruise ships go into dry dock yearly for mechanical engine tune-ups, etc. I wouldn't worry -it's a fairly new ship.
Old September 29th, 2000, 04:01 PM
Beckie

This was what's listed on the "cams" page under the Sea's bridge cam (which shows a picture of a bridge in Portland and says "dry dock". Notice it says she'lll be in drydock in Sept. This info. wasn't here previously, although may have been built into the sched. (This write up is totally different than the last time I went to the bridge cams, early Sept.) It used to say she was heading to the carib. Oct. 5. You've got me curious now too, as we're due to sail 11/25. Hoping this is just a reg. sched. check up.

"Sea Princess spends her summers sailing the Gulf of Alaska on Voyage of the Glaciers, featuring the Alaskan sights of Anchorage, College Fjord, Prince William Sound, Glacier Bay, Skagway, Juneau, Ketchikan, and the Inside Passage as well as Vancouver, Canada. In September, she's in drydock before heading to San Francisco for a 16-day Panama Canal Adventure, visiting Mexico and Costa Rica, transiting the Panama Canal, and finishing in the Caribbean with Cartegena, Columbia; Grand Cayman; Cozumel, Mexico and Ft. Lauderdale. From October through April, 2001, Sea sails seven-day roundtrips in the Western Caribbean, featuring Ft. Lauderdale; Ocho Rios, Jamaica; Grand Cayman and Cozumel, Mexico."
Old September 30th, 2000, 09:56 AM
Yeoman

Hi: I don't think you should worry. I used to be a supplier tp Princess and would sell on a regular basis the oil and fuel filters. We would ship direct to the ship as it was in "dry dock" We had West Coast shipping address as well as British and Mediteranian ship-to's

Probably, when you get on board she will be spic and span clean and ready to Rock & Roll
Old September 30th, 2000, 09:01 PM
Vicki C

TheSea is in drydock now. We board her on Thursday Oct. 5th in San Fransico, this is scheduled maintence time for her. She will be like new when we board, not sure how she will be when we are done but she should be fine.
Happy cruising
Vicki

t
Old October 1st, 2000, 08:12 PM
Topper

(Smile). Sounds like you're planning to have a LARGE time! Maybe we should be sailing with YOU! Yes, I am hopeful it will be just like new. Have some friends traveling with us (and they demand everything be perfect....or they whine, whine, whine). Makes you wonder why we would travel with them, huh? Well, they are really great friends - 98% of the time.

So, where are you cruising to on October 5? Please share your cruise experience with me when you get back. Want to know all about ship (good and constructive critique as well).

Hope you have a safe and wonderfully memorable time.

Topper
Old October 2nd, 2000, 02:12 AM
Admiral

Boomer,

Poor choice of words... I think that most passengers (and crew!) will be very happy if the ship does not rock and roll!

So will the ship's medical department. A calm voyage saves considerably on the cost of Drammamine.

Norm.
Old October 2nd, 2000, 04:45 PM
Cruise Maniac

We'll be on board 11/11 also!

40 days and counting!Topper wrote:
>
> I heard, read, or I may have even dreamed the SEA was going
> into drydock in October for a couple of weeks. Anyone else
> heard or seen any mention of this? I will be sailing on her
> November 11. And if this is true, is it accurate to assume
> when she returns to her sailing schedule she will be in "like
> new" condition aestetically and mechanically?
Old October 2nd, 2000, 06:53 PM
TinaLee

We don't get to go until 03/10/01 on the Sea Princess, but all of you "fall cruisers" are more than welcome to send me any and all info when you return. We're really excited about our cruise, as we haven't been on this class of ship with Princess before (did the Crown and the Grand). PLEASE let me know how things go, and especially about shore excursions in Jamaica, as that is the only port we haven't been to on this itinerary. We're looking to snorkel in Cozumel this time out, so info about that would be most welcome as well!! (I think hubby wants to keep me and the daughter out of all those silver shops...)

Tina aka TinaLee204@aol.com
Old October 2nd, 2000, 07:54 PM
Cruise Maniac

Tina -

On one of the other boards, someone recommended Barret Adventures (http://www.montego-bay-jamaica.com/barrett/index.html). I've been in contact with them for a private tour. Very reasonable rates ($15/hr for 1 or 2 people; $20/hr for 3 or 4 people) and they'll take you just about anywhere. You might want to check them out.

Shelley
Old October 6th, 2000, 08:26 PM
Topper

TinaLee,

Will gladly provide you a detailed overview of the SEA Princess and our cruise experience when we return from our November 11 Western Caribbean cruise. We have sailed on the Sun and the Grand. Loved the Sun and really enjoyed the Grand (beautiful vessel) but she was just a bit large for us. I feel confident you will truly injoy the SEA (if she's like the Sun).

Later
Old October 7th, 2000, 02:01 PM
Admiral

Tina,

I have already spoken my piece about the difference between MV Sea Princess and MV Grand Princess (see my first post in the thread "Sea or Grand? Caribbean or Hawaii?"), so I won't repeat all that here. My own opinion is that MV Sea Princess and her sisters are absolutely tops. About the only criticism of these vessels that seems to stick is that the cabins are somewhat smaller than on other Princess ships, but they certainly do have plenty of space and storage for two people and heads that really are functional. Given a choice, I would pick MV Sea Princess over MV Grand Princess any time.

The ports of call on the Western Caribbean itinerary are quite diverse. Here's a quick run-down:

>> Princess throws a great "beach party" at Princess Cays (yes, it's plural -- there actually are two islands connected by a short bridge). You can rent all sorts of "beach toys" like wave runners and paddle boats, there's a natural reef for snorkeling, a volleyball net, a combo playing island music and a fantastic beach for swimming (yes, the water is most wonderful!) and tanning. Before passengers go ashore, the ship's food and beverage department take ashore about two tons of provisions for the barbecue lunch, which is both excellent and included in your cruise fare. One of the islands also has a couple souvenir stands and a gift shop where you can make purchases with your cruise card even though they are staffed by locals.

>> Ocho Rios is a port where it's best to take a tour from the ship rather than going off on your own. If you opt for the latter, you will be accosted by many pesky taxi drivers soliciting your business. If you have not been to Ocho Rios before, I highly recommend the tour of Prospect Plantation -- which provides a fascinating showcase of the island's dramatic topography (at over 6300 feet, Jamaica's "Blue Ridge" is over 20% higher than Mount Washington), and a fascinating diversity of crops grown at various altitude zones. This tour also includes a stop at the Dunn's River Falls, so be sure to wear your bathing suit under your steet clothes and to bring a towel from the ship and a pair of SurfWalkers for the climb, which is most refreshing. The falls are well shaded by trees on both sides, so you'll be able to do the climb -- which is most refreshing -- even if you got a bit too much sun at Princess Cays a couple days before. You might want to pick up a couple pounds of Blue Mountain Coffee at the tour's brief shopping stop. (Yes, it's legal to bring roasted coffee beans, either whole or ground, back to the States.)

>> Grand Cayman offers several unique attractions including Hell, the sea turtle farm, and Stingray City. The island's Seven Mile Beach (which actually is only 5 1/2 miles long) just outside of George Town is one of the best in the world and George Town is a free port with some of the best shopping opportunities that I have seen anywhere. Many of the shops there seem to stock quality merchandise rather than the usual junk that you find in the shops of many ports of call. Although there's no problem going on your own on Grand Cayman, a tour from the ship will maximize your sightseeing opportunities. The "sea and see" tour, which combines a short cruise in a "semisubmersible craft" to view reefs, wrecks, and marine life under water with a land tour to Hell and the sea turtle farm, is exceptional, and Stingray City consistently draws rave reviews from passengers who opt to go there.

>> Cozumel has great beaches, but it's also the gateway to an encounter with the Mayan culture. The shore excursion to Tulum is very worthwhile, but it is a long day. If you opt for this tour, be sure to bring a big bottle of water from the ship for each person and to drink it often because Tulum tends to be very hot. If you want something less ambitious, the tour that combines the Mexican folkloric show in San Miguel de Cozumel with a visit to the Mayan ruins at San Gervasio (which is on the island of Cozumel) is an excellent choice. This Mexican folkloric show is one of the best that I have seen. Although the ruins at San Gervasio are not as extensive as those at Tulum, they are much more significant because the island of Cozumel was a holy place in the Mayan religion.

Overall, I doubt that you will be disappointed by any of these ports of call.

Do have a great cruise!

Norm.