CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Princess Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/princess-cruise-lines/)
-   -   Princess Cays snorkling-dumb question (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/princess-cruise-lines/220883-princess-cays-snorkling-dumb-question.html)

Beckie October 4th, 2000 05:21 PM

Princess Cays snorkling-dumb question

This seems like a silly question, but for snorkeling on Princess Cay to you need to take a boat or can you swim right from shore? I don't do well on boats (so I'm cruising? go ahead, I know you want to say it. <G>) so if I have to take a little one, I don't think we'll be doing it.
Also, having said my problem with small boats, how "rocky" is the yacht cruise to Dunn's River and the semi-sub in Cozumel and Grand Caymen?

(BTW: Its the rocking on the smaller boats that I don't do well with. The feeling that the boat is going to capsize at any minute. Understand the bigger boats (like Sea Princess) do not have that bouncing sensation.)

Carole Dunham October 5th, 2000 12:11 AM

RE: Princess Cays snorkling-dumb question

I don't have the answer but let me absolutely assure you that the only "dumb" question is the one you never ask. My daughter has the same problem with small boats. Cruise ships are different animals altogether.

Carole

norm October 5th, 2000 02:26 AM

Beckie,

If I remember correctly, you can swim to the snorkel area at Princess Cays. It's right next to one of the two islands.

norm.

Sherry October 5th, 2000 10:00 AM

You definitely snorkel right from the beach. We were there last December.

Topper October 6th, 2000 08:12 PM

Ditto Carol's comment....no dumb questions when it comes to travel. I understand exactly what you are saying. I love to Parasail, but do not like riding in the ski boat to the platform (as you sometime do) - or when someone else is parasailing. Just don't like it. Small ski boats, etc., and cruise ships definitely "ain't" the same. I did not snorkel at Princess Cays but I saw people don their flippers and mask and hit the water from the shore as I recall.

Tim October 14th, 2000 03:50 PM

As others have said, you can walk right in, but I'd STRONGLY advise using a pair of "water shoes" (sold under different names). They're fairly inexpensive, & well worth it. We snorkeled Princess Cay on our first cruise, & it was beautiful. But, at least where our chairs were, to get out into the open water you had to walk from the beach across some rocks in the shallow water. We did it, but it was rough on the feet. Also, don't forget the sea urchins you come across in the Caribbean! Again, on our first cruise, after snorkeling on another day, walking back onto the beach barefoot, my wife stepped on an urchin in very shallow water, and suffered for days. We used the "shoes" on our second cruise, and had no worries. Oh, yeah...did I mention our 3rd cruise is on October 22nd?!! It's so close, we're ready to count the hours, not the days! We're going on the Grand Princess for the first time.

Happy cruising!