Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 4th, 2000, 06:21 PM
Beckie

Default Princess Cays snorkling-dumb question

This seems like a silly question, but for snorkeling on Princess Cay to you need to take a boat or can you swim right from shore? I don't do well on boats (so I'm cruising? go ahead, I know you want to say it. <G>) so if I have to take a little one, I don't think we'll be doing it.
Also, having said my problem with small boats, how "rocky" is the yacht cruise to Dunn's River and the semi-sub in Cozumel and Grand Caymen?

(BTW: Its the rocking on the smaller boats that I don't do well with. The feeling that the boat is going to capsize at any minute. Understand the bigger boats (like Sea Princess) do not have that bouncing sensation.)
Sponsored Links
Old October 5th, 2000, 01:11 AM
Carole Dunham

Default RE: Princess Cays snorkling-dumb question

I don't have the answer but let me absolutely assure you that the only "dumb" question is the one you never ask. My daughter has the same problem with small boats. Cruise ships are different animals altogether.

Carole
Old October 5th, 2000, 03:26 AM
Admiral

Beckie,

If I remember correctly, you can swim to the snorkel area at Princess Cays. It's right next to one of the two islands.

norm.
Old October 5th, 2000, 11:00 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to Sherry

You definitely snorkel right from the beach. We were there last December.
Old October 6th, 2000, 09:12 PM
Topper

Ditto Carol's comment....no dumb questions when it comes to travel. I understand exactly what you are saying. I love to Parasail, but do not like riding in the ski boat to the platform (as you sometime do) - or when someone else is parasailing. Just don't like it. Small ski boats, etc., and cruise ships definitely "ain't" the same. I did not snorkel at Princess Cays but I saw people don their flippers and mask and hit the water from the shore as I recall.
Old October 14th, 2000, 04:50 PM
Cruise Maniac

As others have said, you can walk right in, but I'd STRONGLY advise using a pair of "water shoes" (sold under different names). They're fairly inexpensive, & well worth it. We snorkeled Princess Cay on our first cruise, & it was beautiful. But, at least where our chairs were, to get out into the open water you had to walk from the beach across some rocks in the shallow water. We did it, but it was rough on the feet. Also, don't forget the sea urchins you come across in the Caribbean! Again, on our first cruise, after snorkeling on another day, walking back onto the beach barefoot, my wife stepped on an urchin in very shallow water, and suffered for days. We used the "shoes" on our second cruise, and had no worries. Oh, yeah...did I mention our 3rd cruise is on October 22nd?!! It's so close, we're ready to count the hours, not the days! We're going on the Grand Princess for the first time.

Happy cruising!