Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 11th, 2000, 07:27 PM
SmithF

Default PRINCESS ANNOUNCES NAMES FOR FIVE NEW SHIPS...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just read a Princess press release that gave the names of five new vessels debuting between 2002 - 2004. Four of them had already been mentioned on this board, but one was completely new (at least to me).

The sister to Grand and Golden will be named STAR Princess. The two new 88,000 ton ships will be named CORAL Princess & ISLAND Princess. And finally, the two new 113,000 ton ships will be named DIAMOND Princess & SAPPHIRE Princess.

-SmithF
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here is the actual press release: >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

PRINCESS ANNOUNCES NAMES FOR FIVE NEW SHIPS TO JOIN FLEET BY 2004

Following the anticipated arrival next year of Golden Princess, Grand Princess’ sister ship, Princess Cruises will welcome five more new ships to its fleet by 2004, continuing its dramatic expansion efforts. Princess today announced the names of these new vessels – Star Princess, Coral Princess, Island Princess, Diamond Princess and Sapphire Princess.

“The next four years represent a tremendous period of growth for Princess, where we’ll be doubling in size,” said Dean Brown, Princess’ executive vice president of sales, marketing and customer service. “The ships we’ll be introducing will continue to innovate the onboard experience and give our passengers the ultimate in personal choice. In naming the ships, we wanted to capture the richness and beauty of the vessels while at the same time celebrating the rebirth of some of the beloved names of past Princess ships.”

Star Princess will be the third of the company’s renowned Grand Princess-class series of ships, and is currently under construction at the Fincantieri shipyard in Monfalcone, Italy. Scheduled to debut in March 2002, Star Princess is a sister ship to the phenomenally popular Grand Princess and soon-to-be-launched Golden Princess. The name Star Princess is taken from one of the line’s former vessels which debuted in 1989, just after the company merged with Sitmar Cruises. The ship was transferred to P&O Cruises in 1997 and is currently sailing from Southampton as Arcadia.

The 88,000-ton ships being built by Chantiers de l’Atlantique in France will be known as Coral Princess and Island Princess. Scheduled to debut in October 2002 and June 2003, respectively, these ships will feature an innovative power generation technology -- a combination of diesel engines and gas turbines, with the gas turbine placed in the ship’s funnel. In addition, only 10 percent of the staterooms will be inside, with 80 percent of those outside cabins featuring a private balcony – a Princess hallmark. Island Princess will carry on the name of one of the line’s original “Love Boats,” which left the fleet last year.

Diamond Princess and Sapphire Princess are being constructed by Mitsubishi Heavy Industries Ltd. of Japan. The two 113,000-ton ships are the largest cruise ships ever ordered by Princess, and the first to be ordered from MHI. They are due for delivery in July 2003 and May 2004, respectively, and will offer many innovative features that will further extend the Princess emphasis on choice, innovation and customer service. Also to feature diesel and gas turbine propulsion, more than 70 percent of the ships’ cabins will be outside staterooms, with more than 75 percent of these including balconies.

Each of the ships will continue to de-regiment the traditional cruise experience by providing its passengers with an opportunity to personally customize their cruise experience with numerous dining, entertainment and activity choices.

Once all vessels are delivered, Princess will have more than doubled in size to over 30,000 berths with more than 1.5 million passengers carried annually.
Sponsored Links
Old October 11th, 2000, 09:09 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default RE: PRINCESS ANNOUNCES NAMES FOR FIVE NEW SHIPS...

Hi SmithF,
Not all that suprised with the names, kind of figured it would be along those lines,
but I do like, expecially the Diamond Princess :-)

Donnassei/Sealover
Old October 11th, 2000, 11:42 PM
Carole Dunham

A bonus for us, all those new berths and not the phenomenal growth of passengers the cruiselines were hoping for. Unless something radical changes, we can expect the same low, low fares with Princess we are seeing with Royal Caribbean, yipee!

Carole
Old October 13th, 2000, 01:06 AM
Admiral

Carole,

There are some real bargains out there right now. A few days ago, I got an e-mail for Captain's Circle members with fares of $299 for Caribbean cruises this month. At those fares, I'll gladly invest the savings in the company's stock!

Norm.
Old October 13th, 2000, 01:08 AM
Admiral

Donna,

Yes, I noticed that the vessels under construction at Mitsubishi received names for which you had expressed a certain fondness! I'm just curious as to whether somebody in the office got the idea from the prior posts on this board?

Norm.
Old October 13th, 2000, 08:25 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Norm,
You never know, they have got the idea from this board??

Donnassei/Sealover
Old October 15th, 2000, 12:02 AM
Carole Dunham

Hi Norm

I saw those fares too. Looking for an inexpensive cruise from Ft. lauderdale in either Jan or Feb for a friend and me. It's a little early for the bargains in those months but have no doubt we'll be seeing them. Seems I'll even be able to cruise three times a year instead of twice.

Carole