Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 19th, 2000, 12:49 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Disturbing news

Heard on the news tonight that Turkey might be a trouble spot for terrorists and that Americans should be wary about crowds and be on the alert over there. Makes me a little concerned about our Med. cruise on the Golden next June since we go to Istanbul. Wonder what Princess does in case there should be trouble at that time. Helen
Sponsored Links
Old October 19th, 2000, 01:02 AM
Carole Dunham

Default RE: Disturbing news

The cruise lines are very reponsive about trouble spots. the last time a cruise ship was in trouble because of terrorism was the Achille Lauro and that was many, many years ago. If Turkey is still a trouble spot, Princess will change the itinerary, that's a promise.

Carole
Old October 19th, 2000, 10:54 AM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks for the information Carole. We are planning to take our children and we are growing concerned. Hey Helen! Toni
Old October 19th, 2000, 11:43 AM
Cruise Maniac

I just visited the State Department site they have made a public announcement that Turkey (among others) may have terrorist actions against US Citizins and we should exercise caution in considering travel to the area. This expires January 17, 2001.
Toni
Old October 19th, 2000, 12:29 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks Toni for the update. I wonder how they know the warning will expire on a certain date. I hope they keep on top of it. After this tragedy on Yeman I don't trust the govt. too much. Keep in touch. Helen
Old October 19th, 2000, 04:31 PM
Carole Dunham

Helen, I don't blame you for not trusting the government, but I DO trust the cruiselines. After all, Uncle Sam has us to pay for all it's ships. Cruiselines have to cough it up themselves. They take very good care of their multi million dollar babies, along with their passengers and crews.

Carole
Old October 19th, 2000, 10:56 PM
Admiral

I sailed on the former Sea Princess a week after the Achille Lauro on the same route. When we flew out of London to meet the ship in Venice, there was a little tension as everyone wondered what we were in for and how many had cancelled their trip.

We were reassured that P&O were keeping close watch on the situation and would avoid any tense situations if they arose. There was extra security on board and we were scanned with a metal detector before we boarded the ship. BBC updates were announced for anyone wanting to keep in touch. There was a lot of action at sea with military ships and helicopters passing by but I heard that is common in that part of the world.

We enjoyed ourselves too much to allow any worries to spoil our cruise. We felt confident that those in command wouldn't take any risks to involve another ship in any world scandal. I can assure you that if there were any other minor delays because of extra security, most on board would not even remember them. It was a fantastic cruise down the Suez Canal, over to Jordan, Israel, Turkey and ending with Greece. Go with no worries.
Old October 22nd, 2000, 07:21 PM
Admiral

Helen,

There's no reason to be concerned about security and safety throughout most of Turkey. The Turks will tell you -- quite emphatically -- that they are not Arabs even though they are predominantly (97%) Moslem. It's fairly evident from their membership in NATO and their application for full membership in the European Union that their sympathies are much more Western than Arab. In fact, their tour guides almost gloat over the fact that they don't care that they don't have any oil because they have a resource that sells for three times the price of oil on the world market and that without it, in the desert, you die. This resource, BTW, is called "fresh water" -- and the Arab countries are very dependent upon it.

Turkey is a very large country. There has been a small amount of Kurdish unrest is a small region in the southeastern corner, which is hundreds of miles from any of the areas where cruise ships call. It does not pose any danger whatsoever to the areas where you are likely to go.

Additionally, security in Turkey is very tight, especially at places like airports, where terrorist groups are likely to strike, and at many of the tourist attractions where there's concern of both terrorist threats and heists of various treasures.

I would not hesitate to return to Turkey!

Norm.