Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 29th, 2000, 03:17 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Pacific Princess--should we go?

We are considering the Pacific Princess for Bermuda in 2001....as there are 3 of us (spouse, me and mom)
we know we are limited on cabins...and need to decide soon!! Anyone who has sailed her recently, please post your opinions.....either way......we have sailed to Bermuda 5 times, all with NCL, and are jumping ship due to "Freestyle"..... we've seen the Pacific in Bermuda this year.....know she is small and
almost 30 years old.....but she is the "Love Boat", and we'd like to sail her before it's too late! Will we be disappointed??? Please help!!!
Sponsored Links
Old October 29th, 2000, 05:26 PM
Admiral

Default RE: Pacific Princess--should we go?

Donna,

It's interesting that "Freestyle Cruising" is such a turn-off. I do hope that somebody at headquarters is taking note!

Norm
Old October 30th, 2000, 12:32 PM
Admiral

Donna,

Have sailed on the Pacific Princess 2 times and would go again in a heartbeat. She is small and old, yes, the cabins small (except for the mini-suites and suites), but functional.

The service was fantastic, she is kept in immaculate shape by the crew and it is a friendly cruise, at least on my sailings.

Sailed on her the first time in Aug 99 Western Europe, then again to Bermuda this past July. I love her!

She is not 'glitzy', but a great ship.
Old October 30th, 2000, 03:23 PM
Carole Dunham

I sailed the old girl two years ago on a Scandanavia/Baltic cruise and remembered her with great affection. I sailed her and heer sister Island Princess many times twenty five years ago or so. I loved being on her again. A little ship is very intimate. You get to know more people, both passengers and crew. Food is much better than it is on the bigger ships. I'd say go for it. That being said, standard outside cabins are too little for 3 people. Besides,m in order to see anything other than daylight you need to stand up to look through the portholes. No big windows or verandah cabins on this old girl. They have inside family cabins that are very nice however. Give her a try. She won't be around much longer and she's a lot of fun to sail.

Carole
Old October 30th, 2000, 04:59 PM
Admiral

Thanks for the response....we've been looking into the suites/mini suites......since you've sailed in July, were there many children onboard??? We're looking into late August, but have had one cruise ruined by too many unsupervised kids, so may take a chance on early Sept.
My spouse's biggest concern was the age of the ship....the Norway was our 1st cruise 6 years ago and we've heard the horror stories of her declining condition!
I just have to go on this ship because she is the "Love Boat"! Do they really play the theme song as she sails down the Hudson??
Old October 30th, 2000, 05:15 PM
Admiral

Carole...
Thanks for the response....Yikes!!! Didn't realize the portholes were that high, but am willing to give up the verandah or picture window for the "Love Boat"......I am in love with this ship!! We saw her in Bermuda and have more pictures of her than the Majesty!!
Our agent was steering us away from her due to her age....but if she is well cared for, I would hate to pass up what could be her last summer to Bermuda!! Will keep you posted on our decision.
Old October 30th, 2000, 07:23 PM
Babette

Absolutely... go for it. We were on her in August... Booked a BA - Deluxe outside. There was plenty of room for two women and all their acoutrements.
However, I think the third person who gets to sleep on the sofa bed will need to bring some pain killers! Not comfortable. I tried it out.

That said, I would book a mini-suite. More room for the three of you. I loved the ship. Food was the best I've had on Princess. Crew was great! Entertainment in the smaller lounge venue was a welcomed relief from the big mega stages of the 77,000+ class.

We had heavy seas going over due to Hurricane Alberto. Many passengers were ill. My cabinmate and I both took Bonine... and did great. We did not mind the rolling and creaking. It was nice to be reminded that we were on a ship and not some floating resort hotel.

I also think Princess offers the best itinerary for Bermuda.

Babette
Old November 2nd, 2000, 09:59 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Kevin

I would go on Pacific Princess again in a heartbeat. Was on her in August - must have been week before Babette, because we had Alberto on the way back from Bermuda.

She is a marvelous little ship - looks like a ship is supposed to and feels like a ship is supposed to. She is in fantastic shape for 30 years - very well cared for by a great crew.

The food was the best I've had on any of my previous cruises - much to do with the fact they were cooking for 600 instead of 2500 (IMHO).

Go now while you have the chance - who knows how long she will be around. It will be a sad day when they finally retire her.
Old November 19th, 2000, 01:14 PM
Bill Giddens

For 20 years we wanted to sail on the original loveboat. On 9/17 our dreams came true. Pacific Princess to Bermuda! We knew the ship was old. We knew the cabins were small. Yes. we enjoyed the smaller ship experience. Yes, we like Princess (this was #7 on Princess). However, aside from nostalgia, there's no reason to spend 7 nights in a 120 sq ft cabin with L-shaped twin beds. A cabin that is showing it's age. An outside double deluxe measures 186 sq ft comparable to standard cabins on todays new ships. That's a much better choice. Last September, an ODD was $500 per person more than a standard 120 sq ft Fiesta deck cabin with a porthole. There was a great deal that was positive about the ship. Dining room food was very good. Entertainment excellent. Service wonderful. No crowds anywhere except the buffet. But there are better choices to Bermuda out there. I'm convinced the only reason PP is still in the fleet is public relations value. We loved Dawn, Star, Sun and Crown. We're looking forward to Grand this winter.
Old November 19th, 2000, 08:27 PM
Admiral

Bill,

Actually, the main reason why MV Pacific Princess continues to sail for Princess is the Bermuda contract. Bermudan authorities are wary of the island being overrun with passengers from cruise ships, so they are expanding permits for cruise ships very slowly in the hope that the tourist infrastructure will have enough time to expand in a controlled manner. I understand that the Bermudan authorities allowed only five cruise ships to call on a weekly basis at their ports this year (MV Pacific Princess, MV Horizon and MV Zenith of Celebrity, MV Norwegian Majesty of NCL, and one other). Anyway, this year's expansion granted permission for MV Pacific Princess to operate to Bermuda through 2002 -- and the terms designate MV Pacific Princess by name, so the company cannot substitute another vessel.

Against this backdrop, P&O pulled a very slick maneuver when the former parent reflagged the entire Princess fleet (except MV Royal Princess, MV Sky Princess, and MV Pacific Princess, which were already of British registry) in Britain this year. The company registered MV Crown Princess and MV Grand Princess in Hamilton rather than London. Something tells me that it's going to be awfully difficult for Bermudan authorities to refuse permission for MV Grand Princess to call in her own home port!

All this begs the question of whether the announcement that MV Crown Princess will transfer to sister line Aida Cruises in 2002 -- the year when most observers and insiders also seem to expect MV Pacific Princess to leave the Princess fleet at the completion of her current Bermuda commitment -- indicates that the line has reached an unannounced agreement with the Bermudan authorities that will allow MV Grand Princess to call there starting in 2003....

(No, I do not have any inside information in this regard.)

Norm.
Old November 19th, 2000, 10:25 PM
AR

Gosh, the Grand Princess seems outsized for Bermuda. I can understand why Bermudians prefer the little old gal. But I must say that the re-registration scam sounds very clever.

Been to Bermuda fairly often, but only once by sea, in 1977 on the then brand new Cunard Princess--another small vessel. It was wonderful because we began in St. Georges for a couple days, then scooted around to Hamilton for a couple more. They carried our motorbikes between the piers on trucks, so it was a seamless operation.

Today with the increased traffic we won't even rent motorbikes any more. I really hope they can hold the line and keep the megaliners out of Bermuda. It's already getting pretty congested and we certainly don't need another St. Thomas.

AR