CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Princess Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/princess-cruise-lines/)
-   -   motion sickness (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/princess-cruise-lines/220932-motion-sickness.html)

Linda November 3rd, 2000 08:30 PM

motion sickness

Hello:

It's been over 20 years since I've been on a cruise, and it was not a pleasant experience, I had motion sickness, and so I'm ready to try it again, and would appreciate any advice on what can be done to control this. I've been told of a patch, or ginger. Thanks for the advice....

Babette November 3rd, 2000 11:37 PM

RE: motion sickness

Linda, the best thing you could do is to take Bonine. It has fewer side effects than the patch. It also works 100% of the time... ginger doesn't. We had a very rough Bermuda cruise on the Pacific Princess. My cabinmate and I both took Bonine.. and we were just fine.

lynn November 4th, 2000 08:43 AM

Linda, I get motion sickness in the car, on boats, rides, etc. I found the most wonderful product. It's called a relief band. It was orginally offered by prescription but now you can buy it at www.reliefband.com . (check all sites offering it. There are different prices) It looks like a large watch and it emits electrical impulses that keep your stomach in rythum. You'll have to read all about it. It actually can make you feel better after you are already sick which nothing else can do. My daughter borrowed mine last week. She'd had surgery that morning and was feeling bad from the anesthesia and it helped. It's kind of pricey but it works miracles. I recently bought a second one because the first one could not have the batteries replaced in it. Good luck.

Boomer November 4th, 2000 10:18 AM

Hi:

Where can you get this "Bonine"
Thanks
Bob

Carole Dunham November 4th, 2000 01:47 PM

Buy it at any pharmacy. It's common, inexpensive and widely available.

Carole

PS My daughter also swears by it. I could ride through a hurricane (and have) without getting sick, but my poor child gets green. Doesn't stop her from cruising though. Next one will be cruisemates Panama Canal cruise on the Amsterdam.

Jose G. November 6th, 2000 08:42 AM

I vote for Bonine, which you may purchase at any Walgreen's.

Helen November 6th, 2000 02:23 PM

Does Bonine make you drowsy or have any other side effects?

Jose G. November 6th, 2000 05:15 PM

The Mrs. & I both took Bonine on our last two 7-day cruises without any drowsiness or other side effects.

Of course, different folks react different to medications.

Bob November 8th, 2000 07:11 AM

My wife AKA the sea sick queen started using the patch and has absolututely NO problems with it. It was causing a lot of side afect problems and they took it off the market and reformulated it. Works wonders for my wife. We have been on a windjammer that was as a wild a ride as I ever had in 20 years in the navy prior to the patch she would have been a sick sick sick puppy. (actually on our first windjammer she was the first to go down, as soon as we cleared St Georges (Grenada) harbor altho she wasn't alone of about 55 passengers only 3 of us (myself and 2 ladies) made it thru dinner). With the patch, when we went rock and roll between Antigua and Nevis she owok me up with 2 questions 1) are going to sink? 2) How the hell can you in bed?Found out the next morning that before she went back to be she put money in her little neck purse in case we sank and had to swim ashore we would have beer money

norm November 11th, 2000 12:17 AM

Linda,

Seasickness is purely an issue of mind over matter. (Here I resist the urge to insert the usual crack that if you don't mind being sick, then the fact that you are sick does not matter.)

Seriously, the best way to prevent it is simply to know that you are not going to get sick, regardless of how bad the weather and the sea might get. Once aboard ship, don't even entertain the thought that you could possibly ever get sick. If, however, you do find yourself feeling slightly queezy, either go out on deck in a place where you can get the wind in your face and look out at the horizon or go to bed until it passes. Additionally, do keep food that is not unsettleing in your stomach -- and a glass or two of wine (not beer, and not hard liquor) is great for settling the stomach!!

BTW, there are several other conditions that may cause you to be sick on the first day or two at sea that are not real seasickness. A lot of people mix a combination of being overtired as a result of being overextended for several weeks or months prior to the cruise with a tad of jet lag and a lot of sleep deprivation, then wonder why they get sick. You can tell real seasickness by the fact that it has two stages. In the first stage, the person will be afraid that he or she is going to die. In the second stage, the person will be afraid that he or she is NOT going to die. Very few people ever experience this.

Norm.

Boomer November 11th, 2000 01:56 PM

ROFL...Norm.....thats the best. That last line is a classic. May I use it sometome?
Bob

lynn November 12th, 2000 11:27 AM

Norm, you obviously don't know what you are talking about. You must not get motion sick so you are assuming that it's in our heads. My 8 year old grandson gets motion sick. I suppose that he is anticipating it also and that's the only reason he gets ill. The reason I suggested the relief band earlier is that there are side effects with all of the medications. (even ginger can upset your stomach and it never helped me much anyway) You can't drink alcohol with any of them. The band was developed for fighter pilots that became ill when doing loops in the planes. It's been used by chemotherapy patients for nausea. I suppose it's in their heads also?

norm November 12th, 2000 12:53 PM

Okay, Lynn, I guess you know more about seasickness and its prevention than a former line officer of the U. S. Navy who has ridden through some rather nasty storms at sea without getting sick. The last time I came across the North Atlantic, it was aboard a 40,000 ton helicopter carrier and we hit 30'+ seas with waves rolling down the length of the flight deck. And BTW, I am susceptible to motion sickness when riding in a bus or even in the back seat of an automobile.

I can assure you that the effect of those bands, drammamine, etc., is primarily psychological in most cases.

Norm.

norm November 12th, 2000 12:53 PM

Boomer,

I'm not quite sure which line you mean, but go ahead! It's far from original.

Norm.

Boomer November 27th, 2000 10:04 AM

Hi: We were on the Dawn last week. We had some movement in the boat but it did not casue distress, infact in bed it was like being rocked to sleep. Kind of hard dancing and walking but it was not enough to cause stomach distress.
Bob