Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 26th, 2000, 05:44 PM
First Mate

Default specialty restaurants on Grand/internet hook up

Will be sailing the Grand Princess for New Year's. Have sailed Millennium and had a wonderful dining experience in the specialty restaurant (Olympic). Just recently got off new Explorer of the Seas and had a terrible dining restaurant in their specialty restaurant (Portofinos). Can anybody share experiences about dining in the specialty restaurants aboard the Grand Princess?

Also, does the Grand have Internet hook-ups? On the Explorer, for $100, you could have an Internet hook up in your cabin. Anything similar on Grand?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old November 26th, 2000, 08:16 PM
Admiral

Default RE: specialty restaurants on Grand/internet hook u

Tom,

All of the new Princess ships, including MV Grand Princess, have a "business center" with computers where you can send receive e-mail and gain full access to the Internet. Since I don't go on vacation to stare at a computer screen, I have never used the service so I'm not familiar with the cost structure -- but that subject has come up in other threads on this board, so you might want to check other threads to see what you can find.

Some of my tablemates aboard MV Grand Princess in the Mediterranean last year did use the Internet service, and they seemed very satisfied with both the service itself and the price.

Norm.
Old November 27th, 2000, 01:27 PM
Carole Dunham

I've sailed Grand Princess and eaten at all three of their alternative restaurants. One, Sabatini's, has been transformed into an ultra deluxe Italian fine restaurant. I believe the charge is now $20.00. Since it was a good restaurant before I feel it must be something very special now. On other sites on the internet I have read that this is so. The Painted Desert, the Southwest restaurant, is good, but the food is a little mild for me. I was raised on the real thing and have an asbestos mouth and stomach. I would ask for or bring tabasco or something like it the next time. Still, the food is fresh and delicious and very innovative and they serve the best margaritas at sea. The charge is $3.50. The third restaurant is in the Horizon Court buffet. At night after 7:30, it becomes a sitdown restaurant with a full menu. I loved it, it was my favorite restaurant onboard. There were never more than 20 people or so there at any given time so the food really was cooked to order. It is open as a sitdown restaurant until 4:00AM. It is the only time I've sailed a mainstream cruiseline ad gotten my salmon cooked rare as I like it. There is no charge to eat there although we always took a couple of dollars to tip with since the service was excellent and the servers deserved it. Have a wonderful cruise. Grand Princess is an amazing ship.

Carole

Carole
Old November 29th, 2000, 11:03 PM
First Mate

The ineternet access charge at the business center is $7.50 every 15 minutes.
Old December 1st, 2000, 10:50 PM
Admiral

According to a new press release on the Princess web site (http://www.princess.com), the surcharge for the "New and Improved" Sabatini's is $15. That's more than I'm willing to pay when the outstanding food and service of Princess's main dining rooms are included in the cruise fare!

And to those of you who do pay it, those of us who own stock in the company say, "Thank you!" Our dividend checks undoubtedly will reflect your contributions to the cause.

Norm.
Old December 8th, 2000, 01:12 PM
cathyjane

We just returned from the 11\26 sailing on the Grand. We at both alternative restaurants. At Sabatini's the extra charge is $15 per person. The food and service were outstanding. They serve 8 anti-pastas alone and seem to be continually bringing you food and saying "no" is not an option when they bring it to your table. The dinner lasted approx. 2.5 hours.
We also ate at The Painted Desert. It was a really good dining experience also. They make some home made guacomole that is awesome. I felt these two alternative restaurants were much better than the dining room in service and food served.
I used the internet service in the business center in hopes of sending pictures home to family. We bought a Sony Mavica specifically for this purpose. The only problem was they wouldn't let you use floppy discs in the computer so that failed dreadfully. I spent the first 15 minutes becoming acclamated to the computer and logging on and inputting email addresses and was finally able to get email sent out the last 15 minutes. So it ended up costing me $15 to send one email. If you can wait until you get to St. Thomas or St. Martin there are internet cafe's that are considerably cheaper than emailing on the ship. One of the restaurants in St. Martin offered free internet access but when we went there to eat we couldn't get the time of day from the hostess. We stood by the "Please wait to be seated" sign for 15 minutes and everyone walked by us like we weren't even there so we obviously chose another place to eat at.
Old January 7th, 2001, 04:46 PM
Admiral

I sailed on Grand Princess and found the food at the same level as the dining rooms; in some cases poorer than one would find in the main dining rooms.

Celebrity is the only cruise line which advertises it's alternative dining room as "gourmet" and it truly is. The rest are simply "alternative", but not gourmet. Unless you take one of the very pricey ships (Silverseas, Radisson, Seabourn), you'll only find a gourmet restaurant aboard Millennium and her new sisters, Infinity and Summit.