Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 30th, 2000, 05:51 PM
First Mate

Default What to Wear.

Can anyone help, I am going on Sea Princess in January, I'm o.k. about during the day but not sure about the evenings. I have read that there are 2 formal nights on a 7 night cruise, but how formal is formal. And what about semi-formal and casual nights, I know everyone has their own interpretation of formal/semi/casual, but I dont want to over pack and take really dressy outfits or not enough casual etc. So can someone help me please..................
Sponsored Links
Old November 30th, 2000, 09:27 PM
copout2

Default RE: What to Wear.

debbie,
we cruised on the sea princess in Jan. 2 years ago. There was everything from a nice sunday dress to glitzy formals on formal nights so it is really anything that you feel comfortable wearing. we were at a table for 8 and there was each end of the scale just at our table. In general though, the men wore dark suites and ties on the formal night-some tuxes, but definitly not the majority. Casual nights were about the same as the semi-formal nights. since shorts aren't allowed in the dining rooms anyways, everyone pretty much dressed like they would for a nice sit down affair for a special occasion at home, and then like a new years eve party for the formal nights. hope this helps
gina
Old December 1st, 2000, 02:27 AM
First Mate

Thanks Gina, thats a great help.
Old December 1st, 2000, 09:25 AM
Admiral

Formal is just as formal dressy as you wish to get; velvet, shiffon, sequins, short, long or a dressy pants suit for ladies. Men you will find at least 50% in tuxes and the remainder in dark suits. Informal is where there is a lot of variance. Think of a nice Sunday dress for a lady and/or including a nice pants suit and a sport coat, shirt with tie for the men. Although, I have seen the men's "collarless" shirts worn with a jacket, or a vest with nice slacks. Casual for men is a golf or cotton style shirt and docker style slacks with ladies in pants, skort dresses, sundresses, jumpsuits, etc. Casually elegent is a great term I have heard used. Black is a great basic color. Don't forget to bring a sweater just in case, as some public rooms get chilly at night. You will also need a cover-up for over your swim suit when walking the corridors or going to eat.
Bon Voyage
Old December 1st, 2000, 09:25 AM
Admiral

Formal is just as formal dressy as you wish to get; velvet, shiffon, sequins, short, long or a dressy pants suit for ladies. Men you will find at least 50% in tuxes and the remainder in dark suits. Informal is where there is a lot of variance. Think of a nice Sunday dress for a lady and/or including a nice pants suit and a sport coat, shirt with tie for the men. Although, I have seen the men's "collarless" shirts worn with a jacket, or a vest with nice slacks. Casual for men is a golf or cotton style shirt and docker style slacks with ladies in pants, skort dresses, sundresses, jumpsuits, etc. Casually elegent is a great term I have heard used. Black is a great basic color. Don't forget to bring a sweater just in case, as some public rooms get chilly at night. You will also need a cover-up for over your swim suit when walking the corridors or going to eat.
Bon Voyage
Old December 1st, 2000, 10:20 PM
Admiral

Debbie,

The best guidance for evening attire that i have seen is what Princess provides in the Cruise AnswerBook. Shortly after you make your final payment (about sixty days before your cruise), your travel agent should receive a packet of information that will include a copy of the Cruise AnswerBook, a booklet of information on shore excursions, a shore excursion reservation form, and a form for general information, passport data, and an emergency contact back home, along with some other miscellaneous information.

On my last few cruises, I have noticed that Princess has provided information on a tuxedo rental service that the company operates aboard its ships -- which suggests to me that the company really is trying to promote proper attire on formal and semiformal nights. On a seven-night cruise, there usually are two formal nights, one semiformal night, and four casual nights. The first and last nights are always casual. Formal nights usually fall either on sea days or days when the ship leaves its port of call relatively early.

The "Western Caribbean" itinerary is one of my favorites, and MV Sea Princess is a great ship. Have a wonderful cruise!

Norm.