Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 8th, 2000, 10:02 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Sea Princess

We are traveling on the Jan. 27th Sea Princess Western Caribbean. We are veterans of HAL and Carnival, but this will be our first Princess cruise. We have booked two inside cabins as we are taking the whole family.
Can anyone give me an idea as to how small these inside cabins are. I've read postings that make me worry about this a little bit.
Any other comments on Princess or recommendations on excursions would be appreciated.
Counting the days . . . .
Sponsored Links
Old December 8th, 2000, 10:21 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default RE: Sea Princess

Hi Ken,
I found a "Sea" Princess review from about a year ago that may be worth reading.
We went on our first Princess cruise earlier this year and absolutely loved it. Make sure to visit Sting Ray City in Grand Cayman if you haven't already dont that, its awesome. Enjoy Sea Princess, I bet you'll love it :-)

<http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/cruiseguide/shiptour/memreviews/mr_princess/seaprincess2.html>

Donnassei/Sealover
Old December 9th, 2000, 03:24 AM
Admiral

Ken,

The inside cabins aboard MV Sea Princess and her three sisters are somewhat smaller than aboard other Princess vessels, but they certainly are adequate in all respects. The heads are compact and efficient, but they have enoufh room for all functions and the shower stalls have plenty of room (I have seen smaller shower stalls at guest houses ashore). The vanity smartly doubles as a desk, and there's also a cabinet with a safe, a television, and a refrigerator and adequate closet and shelf space. The lower beds will make up as either a queen or two twins. Overall, it's a very functional arrangement.

As to the ports of call:

>> Princess throws a great beach party on Princess Cays. You don't have to spend money to have a good time.

>> I highly recommend an excursion in Ocho Rios, as the ubiquitous taxi drivers are rather agressive in soliciting your business. The tour titled "Prospect Plantation and Dunn's River Falls" is a nice combination, as you get to see some of the rugged Jamaican countryside (towering over 6300 feet above sea level, Jamaica's Blue Ridge is higher than Mount Washington) and tour a plantation that occupies a whole mountain and grows an impressive array of crops in several altitude zones before going to climb the falls. Be sure to bring a pair of Surfwalkers (sold at most sporting goods stores here in the States) from home and a beach towel from the ship and to wear your swmsuit under your street clothes for the climb. A pound of Jamaican Blue Ridge Coffee is a great souvenir.

>> On Grand Cayman, about every tour seems to be a winner. The "Sea and See" tour really is outstanding, Seven Mile Beach (which really is only 5 1/2 miles long) is one of the best in the world, and the visits to Stingray City also get very high marks. The duty-free shopping district by the tender pier offers some of the best shopping in the Caribbean, with real quality merchandise -- and be sure to visit the rum cake stand (http://www.rumcakes.com) to sample the wares (the coconut rum cake is my favorite).

>> On Cozumel, it's a tough call between an all day excursion, either to Tulum or to Ex Caret, and a shorer tour that takes in a Mexican culture show in San Miguel de Cozumel (one of the best that I have seen anywhere) and the Mayan ruins at San Gervasio. The ruins at San Gervasio are not as extensive as those at Tulum, but they probably are much more significant becuase the island of Cozumel was a holy place in the Mayan religion. If you opt for the visit to Tulum, be sure to take a large bottle of water from the ship and to drink fromit frequently to prevent dehydration.

Have a great cruise!

Norm.
Old December 9th, 2000, 03:27 AM
First Mate

There are two sizes of inside cabins: most (the ones located on the long ship-length hallways) are 135 sq.ft. The ones that appear pefectly rectangular (located three abreast on the short, cross-ship hallways) are 148 sq.ft.
Old December 10th, 2000, 04:37 PM
copout2

HI,
we sailed on the sea in jan. of 98 with 2 kids. we had an outside cabin, but the lowest category (so the room size would be comparable). It is small compared to our rooms at home, but never once did we feel cramped for space even with all 4 of us in there at once.

as far as the shore excursions, princess does a nice job offering good ones, but the funnest day we had was in cozumel when we took a cab on our own to a beach. we got to lounge in beach chairs (free), snorkel off shore, sip drinks from the beach stands and were even able to go on a 1 1/2 hour snorkeling excursion from the guy selling excursions right at a beach stand. It was 20. per person and the boat was only big enough for about 6, so we had very personal attention from the guide who would dive way down and bring up star fish etc.. for us to see.
the whole day for 4 of us (including taxi, snacks, snorkeling etc..) was about 1/2 of what an organized tour would have been and we were on our time schedule. the beach even had a small zoo and several little stores where mercharts would be very willing to haggle with you. I 'm sorry I cant remember the name of the beach, our taxi cab driver recommended it, but I think it was the next beach further from chakanab lagoon. Princess shore excursion expert would know the name based on the description. there was even an underwater statue right in the roped off swimming area that you could snorkel over and look at (about 15 ft. down)
Old December 16th, 2000, 09:21 AM
Beckiep

We were on Sea Princess 11/25/00. My review has been submitted, but I think I forgot to add the date.
At any rate, our friends were in an inside on deck 14. (We had a balc. on Caribe). While their seemed smaller than ours, it was certainly functional. Plenty of room for everything.
We did the Plantaion and Falls in Ocho Rios. Would not try this island on our own. In fact, we will not be returning to Jamaica (This was our second trip. First time to Mo Bay in '98.) It's a beautiful island. It's a shame the people make visitors feel so uncomfortable. They have a 90% unemployment rate and 2.2% inflation a month according to our bus guide. They also have to pay for education, and with statistics like those mentioned, most can't afford it. It's understandable why they're pushy--they need to survive. The plantation was very interesting. The falls were gorgeous, but beware of the marketplace when you exit. Our guide said we HAD to go that way. We found out later, you don't.
We loved Grand Cayman! Did island highlights--a good overview -- and snorkeling with the rays at the sandbar. Not enough time for shopping, but we got some in. Will need to go back on our own for a longer time.
Cozumel, we did the jeep adventure. NEVER AGAIN! Shopping was plentiful.Surf was very rough so while we saw some gorgeous beaches, we weren't allowed in. I was sick that day, so Coz. (except the jeep) is pretty fuzzy in my memory.
Any other questions, feel free to email.
Old January 2nd, 2001, 08:51 PM
Yeoman

Hi Ken: We had a great experience with our first Princess cruise. I am sure you will too. I would be curious as to how you compare the three lines. Maybe you can post up when you get back? We are condidering HAL and Carnival for our next cruise.
Thanks
Bob