Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 12th, 2000, 02:06 AM
Barbara Halliday

Default Panama Canal Background

If you want to do some reading before your Panama Canal cruise, I highly recommend "The Path Between the Seas" by David McCullough. Lots of detail, but I'm hoping to retain enough to find that this enriches our transit of the Canal on the Sun Princess in mid-January.
Sponsored Links
Old December 12th, 2000, 06:22 PM
SmithF

Default Thanks...

Thanks for that info, I will look for the book. (We are going later this month on the Sun)

SmithF
Old December 13th, 2000, 07:44 AM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to Janet
Default RE: Thanks...

I hope both you and Barbara both send in a review of your cruise as we are also going on the Sun thru the canal on Feb. 14th.
have a great time!!!!!!!
Old December 13th, 2000, 05:02 PM
SmithF

Yes, I will post a review. I cannot wait now... only two weeks away!

SmithF
Old December 14th, 2000, 12:38 AM
Cruise Maniac

Did you get your air through Princess? And, if so, are you happy with the flight schedule? I've noticed quite a few on this phorum who weren't too pleased with their "redeye" flights. We won't get our flight schedule until next week.
Thanks!
Barb
Old December 14th, 2000, 05:14 PM
SmithF

Default Yes, we did Princess Air

We are leaving a 6:00am!! Not thrilled, but it will be nice to get to the hotel around 1pm, allowing time to catch up on sleep and prepare for a tour the next day. Then we will board the Sun the third day! Leaving from San Juan we orignally had a flight around 6pm but we changed that to 2 in the afternoon.

SmithF
Old December 15th, 2000, 12:08 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default RE: Yes, we did Princess Air

So, you will get to Costa Rica two days prior to the start of the cruise. Sounds nice--was that an "add-on?" We're leaving from Portland, OR and I'm assuming they can get us to San Jose, Costa Rica in one (very long)day and still make the cruise ship before it departs that evening. Are you going to tour around the city of San Jose on your second day? The National Museum is very worthwhile. We missed seeing the "gold collection" that I believe is in a museum under the central town plaza. (we had a 2-week independent land tour of Costa Rica several years ago.) Really enjoyed it-a beautiful country and great variety in scenery. The "Ticos" seem to be a very clever, very artistic people. And they grow excellent coffee beans. We enjoyed the bumper sticker we saw on a pickup truck in San Jose: "Juan Valdez drinks Costa Rican coffee."
Enjoy your trip!
Barb
Old December 15th, 2000, 06:03 PM
SmithF

Default RE: Yes, we did Princess Air

Yes, it was the two-day hotel package listed in the brochure. Also, you can fly to Costa Rica in one really long day because the Sun (sorry to repeat this if you already know) does not actually leave port until 1AM in the morning (it says 7 in the brochure). In fact, even if you were delayed hours you wouldn't have a problem because the next port is only about a thirty minute sail away if you travel directly.

SmithF
Old March 27th, 2001, 03:06 PM
Yeoman

We just booked Panama Canal for Feb 14th 2002. Leaving from Ft. Lauderdale (driving distance) from our home on the Space Coast.
Please let me know where to find your posting of the cruise review.
Thanks,
Cheryl