Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 22nd, 2000, 10:52 PM
Duane T

Default Ocean PrincessDominica Excursions

My wife and I are sailing on the Ocean Princess 2/24/01. Dominica is one of the Ports of Call. From what I read, Dominica is one of the least developed ( a good thing) islands. Any recommendations from those of you who have been on this Southern cruise as to what excursion would be worthwhile? I did hear that one excursion is a dugout/boat trip up the only navigatible river on the island. Anyone tried this excursion? Looking forward to hearing from any of you folks out there who have done this cruise.
Sponsored Links
Old December 22nd, 2000, 11:32 PM
Admiral

Default RE: Ocean PrincessDominica Excursions

Hi,

I went to Dominicia on Carnival's Fascination. Not to sound negative - but I wish I had stayed on the boat that day. We took an island tour and it was a waste of money.

It is true - it is a very poor country. After the tour, I went walking nearby and went into a grocery store. I felt that I was walking into a store from the 1800's. They do have a Kentucky Fried Chicken near where the boat docks but otherwise - it is the poorest place I have ever been.

The Emerald pool, Trafalager falls and the plantations were nice to see but it was definitely not worth the $40 cost of the island tour.

The island is not possible to tour without an excursion and in my opinion -the excursions are not worth it.
Old December 25th, 2000, 08:46 PM
Admiral

Duane,

I have a somewhat different perspective than Theresa. I opted for the "Grand Tour of Dominica" and enjoyed a fantastic tour of the island, including the emerald pool in the rain forest, with a very knowledgeable guide. This tour did consume a full day (it was the first tour to leave the ship and the last to return to the pier), but it definitely was very interesting and well worth the price. Of course, it might not be everybody's cup of tea.

I have taken six cruises with Princess, and have found the shore excursions to be organized very well and conducted by knowledgeable guides. The descriptions in Princess's shore excursion brochures are very reliable, and Princess takes great pains to ensure that they stay accurate -- even dispatching cruise staff randomly on shore excursions to verify that the excursions do match the descriptions and do conform to the company's high standards.

My recommendation is to read Princess's descriptions of the shore excursions carefully and to choose whichever excursion meets your interest.

Norm.
Old December 26th, 2000, 08:55 PM
Babette

Hi.... well I didn't visit Dominica with Princess... but Seabourn... and their excursions offerings were POOR.

So, I negotiated my own island tour with a taxi driver and picked out what I wanted to see.

I will tell you that this is a very POOR island, so don't be alarmed at what you see.
If you head for the rainforests.... bring or pre-apply bug spray. My ankles got chewed up.
Old January 5th, 2001, 07:55 PM
Yeoman

Hi Duane,
I will be going on the Ocean Princess 4/8/01 & would love to know how you liked the trip. I did see where Dominica had a famous champagne reef to snorkel if you like that sort of thing. I'm kinda worried about Caracas. Please let me know! Thank you. Have a great time!!!!!
Linda
linpopko@hotmail.com