Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 4th, 2001, 04:42 PM
First Mate

Default Last Dunns River Question

Thank you for replying, i promise this is the last question regarding Dunns River. From reading all your replies am i correct in thinking that we can break up from the group and climb the falls at our own pace which from the sounds of things will be perhaps faster then the group as we are both in our late twenties and reasonably fit ( we like to think so anyway). I'm just not very confident about trailing up the falls holding hands with people who might slip and bring me down with them. Just wanting to check that the guides wont scream at us on the spot if we do this.
Regards Debbie.
Sponsored Links
Old January 4th, 2001, 05:52 PM
Mike Mastellar

Default RE: Last Dunns River Question

Debbie;
I would go with the group to begin with. After a while you will know if you feel comfortable breaking from the group and proceeding on your own. You can join back up with the group if you decide it is too much. The guides do their jobs for tips and they do a good job of helping and keeping things moving. So don't forget them at the end.

Feel free to ask all the questions you want.

Take Care;
Mike
Old January 5th, 2001, 09:44 AM
Cruise Maniac

I can't tell you what the tour group might require because we did it on our own. But I don't know how you can climb the falls holding hands all the time. There are just too many places where you will want to have your hands free for holding and maintaining balance.
We will do it on our own again in three weeks.
Old January 5th, 2001, 10:14 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Ken,
I totally agree with you about the holding hands, I think it definately made me more off-balance? I also had a rather large women behind me and she was holding hands with her also large husband, it did seem difficult at times and was actually better off with my hands free.

So, in 3 weeks you get to do it again, how wonderful for U, enjoy it!

Donnassei
Old January 5th, 2001, 05:41 PM
Christine B

Hi Ken!
3 weeks to go!!!!!!!!
We would also like to climb the falls on our own - my daughter's in great shape,
& I guess I could probably try & keep up. Did you guys sign up for any of the ship tours of the Falls? We're signed up for the Trimaran cruise.
Old January 5th, 2001, 10:52 PM
Admiral

Debbie,

I definitely agree with Mike's recommendation to start out the climb with a group. It's best to get as close to the guide as possible within the chain. The guides don't waste a lot of time once they start the climb, but invariably somebody breaks the chain.

The purpose of the chain is to help one another where you get to big steps or a rock that might be exceptionally slippery. One person does the step, and with the two persons in front and behind providing stability, then turns to assist the next person.

If you decide to "punt" and go on your own, you do so at your own risk. I don't recommend it if you don't know the falls.

The water is splendid and crystal clear, just as you would expect of a mountain stream. I did not find it to be particularly cold, though it's cooler than the ocean because the falls are well shaded.

Have a great time!

Norm.
Old January 6th, 2001, 01:49 PM
Cruise Maniac

We didn't sign up for a tour on Jamaica. We will just do it on our own. You will enjoy it either way.

Counting the days.
Old January 6th, 2001, 04:15 PM
First Mate

Christine B, we are also booked on the Trimaran Cruise i think we are doing the 11.30 am, i could not decide between the Catamaran or this one this one seemed like you had a lot longer and since we did not fancy doing Jamaica on our own seemed the best option.
Old January 6th, 2001, 04:36 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Another nice thing about going up with the group and guide, is that the guide will hold on to your camera, so it doesn't get wet and will also take your family/group pic for U. So, just keep that in mind also :-)

Donnassei