Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 6th, 2001, 07:57 PM
Passenger

Default Grand Princess

We are going on the Grand Princess on Jan 21st. I would like to know if they sell bottels of liquor onboard that you can bring back to your cabin to use during the cruise. On some other cruise lines the liquor purchased onboard is delivered to your cabin only on the last night of the cruise.

I would also like to know how easy it is to catch a ferry in St. Thomas to get over to St Johns. We do not want to take a tour, we would rather do it on our own.

Finally, we have reserved a Mini-Suite and I have read that there is a refridgerator in the cabin. I have also read that there is a minibar. Does anybody know which is correct. Also, is there a charge for the services that the "Butler" provides? ( ie: shoe shine, valet, etc).

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old January 7th, 2001, 01:39 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default RE: Grand Princess

Hi Norman,
I did find a members review of "Grand Princess" thats rather interesting and may answer some of your questions:

<http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/cruiseguide/shiptour/memreviews/mr_princess/grand2.html>

Its also very east to get a cab at the pier and get to Red Hook Ferry, the ferrys
run every hour, so plan accordingly. Once over at St. Johns, its just another short cab ride to the beaches, well worth your time and effort, truly a beautiful island, one should not miss going there. If you start out early in the day, you can still have plenty of time to return to St. Thomas and some great shopping, enjoy your cruise on Grand Princess.

Donnassei
Old January 7th, 2001, 04:54 PM
First Mate

Just got off the Grand today. Don't know about the mini suites. Bust as for alcohol. The ship sells no alcohol at all until the last night of the cruise. And even that is very limited. Many people purchased liquor before boarding and had no trouble carrying it on. I even saw one group coming back from St. Marteen with a case and got it on. (I had been told that any liquor bought in port would be put aside and then delivered to your cabin on the final night.)

Donna is absolutely right about ferry to St. John. Just realize you don't have all that much time in St. Thomas, so if you're not going over to st. john as part of ship tour, be sure to have your times down right for catching ferry back to St. Thomas. Remember, also that traffic in St. Thomas returning to ship in the afternoon is terrible. So, allow yourself plenty of time.
Old January 8th, 2001, 08:27 AM
Admiral

Thanks John and especially about the afternoon traffic in St. Thomas. Our last taxi driver took back streets and still we were in a lot of traffic. Regarding the refrigerator, even if it is a stocked mini-bar, you can request that your room steward remove what you do not want to consider buying and put in your own products. Room service can supply you with juice for mixes, if that works for you too as well as limes. On Princes, you can request special fruits in your fruit basket also. I can't wait until our cruise in March.
Bon Voyage
Old January 9th, 2001, 01:12 AM
Passenger

The mini-suites on the Grand have both a small fridge and a mini-bar, stocked with 4 airline-size bottles each of vodka, rum, scotch and rye. In the fridge are various mixers. The first round is on Princess, but if you want any of the liquor re-stocked there is a charge.
I am booked on the Grand for this coming Sunday (14th) for the second time in a mini-suite. You'll have a great time.
Old January 9th, 2001, 09:45 PM
Lynda

Hope you had a wonderful cruise!!

Have been reading some other message boards by people who have recently gotten off the Grand. They stated that the Grand was not that clean, needs refurbishment and the food not that good.

Would love to hear your opinion on this. We are booked in July and wondering whether we should choose another ship or cruise line.

Any information you can give us would be greatly appreciated. Feel free to e-mail me.
Old January 10th, 2001, 01:05 PM
Michael Munday

These people are full of baloney. I have been on the ship twice and have a cruise scheduled for June. Food is EXCELLENT, not just good and ship is clean. I am very picky about what I eat, have a large wine cellar and know what good food is, especially in the San Francisco area. Go. You'll love it. There are always a few complaints. I saw em before I went last time and noticed no decline in food quality. As a matter of fact, I thought it was slightly better. The Lobster was perfectly cooked, the princess chocolate mousse was better than most restaurants, the breads were outstanding,steaks and prime rib cooked exactly the way I ordered them. I had a fabulous rabbit dish. The meat was so tender it fell off the bones. The soups were inovative and very good.For lunch, try the Turkey Scallopini, one of my favorites.My wife loved the Crab Legs.The fish is not overcooked.Grand Princess has a state of the art kitchen that can keep a steak at medium rare for 24 hours with out drying it out. what this means is you will get hot, perfectly cooked food every time.The homemade ice cream served in the dining room is good and free! Last time I went I also noticed that the danish pastrys served to me on my balcony every morning were much improved and very good! What more can you want. Avoid the pay extra restaurants, develope a relationship with your waiters and have a great time!
Old January 10th, 2001, 11:28 PM
Admiral

Michael,

As a P&O Princess shareholder, I'm really glad to hear that the quality is still there.

One of my favorite entrees in the dining room is Princess's shrimp fra diavolo, which usually appears on the menu on one evening during the cruise. It's truly excellent. On my last cruise, they prepared it during the cooking demonstration so I now have the recipe! :-)

Norm.
Old January 14th, 2001, 11:13 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Grand Princess

I went on the grand the week before christmas. The only time i saw liquor for sale on the ship was the last day of the cruise at a shop on level 6. They didnt have much of a selection
Old January 21st, 2001, 12:45 PM
Tom and Candy

Default Re: Grand Princess

My wife and I are scheduled in Baja 750 for week of Feb. 25 - Mar 4 for our 25th wedding anniv. Has anyone been in that suite yet and tell us a little about it? Is is above average? What about Cabin staff? Any input on room service? Anyone take the Virgin Island Odyssey Helicopter tour? Input on this would be especially appreciated as my wife really doesn't like anything smaller than a Boeing 747 (and that could be considered a "stretch in her mind! I need some additional help in "convincing her!!) We CAN"T WAIT and are counting the days! Thanks
Old January 22nd, 2001, 09:59 PM
Lynda

Thank you for the reassurance, cannot wait till we cruise on her
in July. Glad she is everything we expect of her. Thank you again.
Old January 24th, 2001, 11:21 AM
Roy

Thanks for the excellent food reviews...I'm going on my first Grand Princess cruise in May, and when looking through the reviews at other sites, you'd think every cruise ship on every cruise line served cold french fries with hot dogs. I guess it's true that people tend to complain more than they praise.

In any event, I have a different question...has anyone gotten PADI scuba dive certified while onboard the GP? The initial brochure I have mentions it without giving any details, including pricing. Is it fun? Competetively priced? Will I get eaten by sharks?

Roy