Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 8th, 2001, 06:39 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default THE GOLDEN PRINCESS

The Golden Princess is suppose to return to Ft. Lauderdale at 6:00am. We are worried about airfare. Most people say not to book a return flight until 12:00pm.
The flight we are looking at leaves FLL at 10:45am. Is this to early? We plan to take a taxi to the airport.

Thanks,

Cruisingal
Sponsored Links
Old January 8th, 2001, 07:41 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default RE: THE GOLDEN PRINCESS

Hi Cruisingal,
Just to be on the safe side, I'd book a flight a little later, just in case.

Donnassei
Old January 9th, 2001, 01:41 PM
Carole Dunham

I think you could probably make it if you were returning from the Caribbean. If this is after the transatlantic repositioning I would not take the chance. When you are allowed off the ship depends on several factors. I. will the ship be on time, 2. will all the non US citizens be good and go through customs on the ship early like they're supposed to. Those two ifs would put me on a later flight, but I live 1/2 hour from the port and I like to arrive and leave a day or two early when I sail from ports other than Miami and Port Everglades.

Carole
Old January 9th, 2001, 03:41 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

I wouldn't chance a flight this early!! Too many things can delay debarkation. While its possible you might make it... its also VERY possible that you wouldn't.To be safe, look at a flight after noon.

Regards,
Kuki
Features Editor
CruiseMates.com
Old January 9th, 2001, 03:57 PM
BillG

I'd recommend a later flight. Even if the ship arrives in Port Everglades at 6 am, I don't know what time customs and immigration will begin processing disembarking passengers. If you book a later flight but arrive at the airport in time for that 10:45 departure, it may be possible that the airline can accommodate you.
Old January 9th, 2001, 03:59 PM
nini

that sounds too early -even if you plan on taking a cab to the airport.

No one can leave the ship until customs and immigration is finished - and sometimes that is held up.

you may want to call Princess and talk directly to them to get a better idea.

good luck
Old January 9th, 2001, 10:26 PM
Admiral

cruisingal,

I agree with everybody else who has responded. You will be better off with a flight that leaves after noon in case there's a snag with immigration or customs -- or, as can happen on occasion, the arrives in port a bit late due to some unforeseen circumstance.

If you want to save money, buy the transfers to the airport from Princess. If you fly to and from Fort Lauderdale, the transfers are only $5 per person. I suspect that the minimum taxi fare will cost more than that. Also, Princess has a very smooth operation for disembarkation at Port Everglades. Delta, American, and US Airways generally assign agents to conduct the flight check-in procedure and to issue boarding passes aboard the ship before disembarkation (usually while INS inspectors are performing the immigration inspection). Upon disembarkation, you claim your luggage, clear customs, and check your luggage with your airline at the cruise terminal. After you check your luggage for your flights home, you board the bus to the airport. Upon arrival at the airport, you can go directly to the security check point and then to your departure gate to board the plane.

Princess also offers several tours in the Fort Luaderdale area, including a tour of the Everglades, for passengers who have flights after 2:00 PM. These tours leave from the pier and end at the airport, thus accomplishing the transfer for you. You follow the same procedure for disembarkation, except that you board the tour bus instead of the airport shuttle.

Norm.
Old January 10th, 2001, 10:58 AM
Cruise Maniac

I called Princess today and asked them about return flights from Ft. Lauderdale.
Customer service rep. advised me no earlier than 10:15 to 10:30a.m. I'm still going to wait.

Thanks for all your help!

Cruisingal