Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 11th, 2001, 06:12 AM
Rosemary Vivinetto

Default Ocean - Beaches

We are going on the Feb. 18th sailing. We are looking for some nice beaches that we can take a taxi to from the ports. The islands are: ST. Marten, St. Kitts, Barbados, St. Lucia and St. Thomas. Does anyone have any suggestions? Is there any shore excursion that we should not miss? We prefer to do these on our own but know that some are impossible on your own.
Thanks, Rosemary
Sponsored Links
Old January 11th, 2001, 11:06 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default RE: Ocean - Beaches

Hi Rosemary,
We did a simular itin on Ocean last year. I'd suggest in St. Kitts, going into town and getting a taxi with some others and go to Turtle Beach, its a scenic ride, about 45 minutes and well worth a nice day at the beach. Once at the beach you can see Nevis and they serve food, chairs, etc.

In St. Thomas take the Red Hood Ferry over to St. Johns - Trunk bay, great snorkeling and absolutely beautiful island, you don't want to miss. Once at
St. Johns a short taxi ride to the beach. A lot of ship tours do end up there, but if you start out early in the morning, you can avoid the crowds and get back to St.
Thomas and so your shopping.

In St. Maartens, once again grab a cab and check out Orient beach, no good snorkeling, but lots of other water sports and sights :-) I thought it was a beautiful beach and well worth going to. There is a nudist beach right next store, but they pretty much stay over there, although you can wonder over there if you like, but don't bring a camera, they frown on that.

I'm sure you will love this ship, I sure did. Here is a members review, not the same itinary, but a few are:

<http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/cruiseguide/shiptour/memreviews/mr_princess/ocean5.html>

Donnassei
Old January 12th, 2001, 05:28 PM
Rosemary Vivinetto

Donna- Thanks for your advice. I printed it out. Did you do anything special in Barbados or St. Lucia? Any good beaches there?
Rosemary
Old January 12th, 2001, 05:41 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Rosemary,
Seems we did a little different itinary and haven't yet been to those islands yet, sorry couldn't help you there. I have heard there are some beautiful beaches in Barbados and some caves that you should check out. Hopefully, you'll get some replies about those islands.

I just loved Ocean Princess, sure you will too, excellent meals in the dinning room and the service is top notch, have fun!

Donnassei
Old January 13th, 2001, 06:31 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Ocean - Beaches

Rosemary,

An even easier option in St. Thomas is the shore excursion called the Champagne Catamaran Sailaway to St. John. The catamaran meets you at the cruise pier and takes you under sail to a secluded beach on St. John. There's also a reef nearby for those who wish to snorkel, and the crew of the catamaran provides snorkel gear at no extra charge. While at the beach, they serve a buffet lunch aboard the catamaran. After lunch, the catamaran returns to the pier at about 3:00. Thus, you will have a couple hours to shop in Charlotte Amilie if you wish to do so.

Norm.
Old January 15th, 2001, 10:57 AM
Cruise Maniac

Hi Rosemary, My husband and I are going on the Ocean, 1/21 to the same Islands. I've been told to go to Cranes beach in Barbados. It was voted one of the ten best beaches and I know they have used it in a lot of advertisments, commercials...Can't wait for next week.... Laura
Old January 15th, 2001, 03:30 PM
Rosemary Vivinetto

Laura- We will be anxius to see how you like the cruise. Please let us know what beaches you went to at the ports. Enjoy your cruise-
Rosemary
Old January 18th, 2001, 10:35 AM
Admiral

Rosemary, you have received some great response on your beaches request. You may consider altering your plans on islands that offer great scenic tour options. On St. Lucia, which reminds me a lot of Hawaii, we took an all day ships tour Land & Sea which included a visit to the Volcano, the Diamond Springs Botanical Garden as well as many stops for overlooks on the island and stopped at a plantation house for a local style lunch. Then we proceeded to Soufrier and boarded a boat from which we were able to view the Pitons and later anchored in a beautiful bay for swimming. Although a little expensive and long, it was probably one of the best tours we have ever taken and very relaxing. i really felt that we got to see and experience the whole island. There is little else to do in St. Lucia. On Barbados which does have some nice beach areas, I highly recommend the Harrison Cave tour, which would include a ride through the country side. It is a very modern facility. Hope you have a wonderful cruise.
Bon Voyage
Old January 29th, 2001, 06:27 AM
Rosemary Vivinetto

Laura- If you are back from your cruise, please let me know if you went to any nice beaches in the islands. We are getting very anxious as we leave on the 18th. Are there any other suggestions you have? We love beaches and I like some shopping. Hope you enjoyed the cruise.
Rosemary
Old January 30th, 2001, 05:11 PM
Cruise Maniac

Hi Rosemary, We got back home early Monday morning just getting time to go to the computer...Loved the ship...The Staff was wonderful..I live on Cape Cod so I am a big beach person, love to swim...We only did one of the ships tours and that was the day we left the ship in San Juan, as our flight was a late one. On the first Island of Barbados we went to Crane Beach . Breath taking. large waves and plenty of them the sand had a little pink in it felt like flour. The taxi dropped us off at Crane Hotel. They charged $5.00 to us to go thru the hotel and use their facilitys, but you received a free beverage, soda or a local draft beer. Hotel on cliff over looking beach...Great photos...Large waves lots of fun but rough, not recommend for young children. Next Island was St. Lucia, We took a taxi to Rodney Bay, nice area, Beach was crowded, Bunch of little resorts all next to each other and every body wants to sell you some thing..Not my favorite Island. The next day was St. Kitts, there we went to Turtle Bay. If you go there take your camara, the drive to the end of the island goes over mountains with beautiful scenery. The beach is rocky didn't go in much, but they have wild monkeys that come down to the beach to beg for food.. Great pictures. On Thursday evening the ship has an island party on deck...Smarter if you brought clothes from home for this, as the sorongs on the past couple of Islands were over priced. Thursday, St. Martin, My Favorite. We went to Orient Beach, they have a nude side to this beach or a side that isn't nude. The best swimming..calm crystal waters..Cigarettes are only $10.00 a carton here. cheapest of all Islands and also the cheapest alcohol..$5.99 to 8.00 a bottle of top notch labels..$10.00 bottle of Korbel brut..You can bring your own aboard ship and use. I'm not a smoker or drinker but brought some home for friends and family. Last Island was St. Thomas I've been here before and think it looks better in the photos than in reality. Over crowded..Megans bay is jammed packed with people the water is calm though...Morning Star Beach is in front of the Marriot frenchman's reef hotel,,some wave action, not as crowded but it gets deep fast bit of an under tow...Went to Sapphire Beach this trip and it was the only cloudy rainy day so we only walked the beach, It's a locals beach and very pretty. I loved the trip, can't wait to book again. The tour office on the ship puts a table up with port guides. They will give you little maps and info on different beaches..Have a wonderful time..The ship is in dry dock this week for maint. work...If you have any other Questions, Please fell free to ask.