Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 11th, 2001, 02:54 PM
First Mate

Default Miami

Has anyone ever stayed at the Don Shula Hotel & Golf Club (Miami Lakes, Northeast Dades area) we are there for one night and would like to know if there are many shops, resturants near by and how much would a taxi cost to South Beach Miami or Ft. Lauderdale, and how far away are either of these places to the hotel, any help would be great
Sponsored Links
Old January 11th, 2001, 03:22 PM
Carole Dunham

Default RE: Miami

YOu are out in Western Miami-Dade County and you aren't close to either South Beach or Port Everglades. Unless there are shops at the resort, the closest major shopping is at the Dadeland Mall and the Don Shula Resort is in a town called Miami Lakes, not close to the Dadeland Mall. Is there any reason you need to stay there pre-cruise?

Carole
Old January 11th, 2001, 04:10 PM
First Mate

Carole,It has been booked by Princess Cruise Line we are doing 3 nights in Orlando pre cruise then we fly down to Ft. Lauderdale for our 7 night cruise on the Sea Princess then we are taken from the ship to this hotel, for either the day untill our flight home to England at 6.00 pm from Miami Airport or we can stay the night, i've now decided not to stay the night but was wandering what was around this hotel or to take one of the shore excursions offered for the last day, all our transfers are already paid for, we will be collected from this hotel at a certain time in the afternoon and taken to the airport in time for our flight home so that gives us time if we want to get a taxi somewhere or have a walk round if we do not do one of the excursions.
Old January 14th, 2001, 11:09 PM
Carole Dunham

It is a resort so you will have the pool, golf is a specialty there. If you guys are golfers and you're from England you will find golfing in the tropics VERY different. I imagine they will have spa services there too. If you like, I can call and ask them what they have. I live in Miami so it's no problem at all.

Carole
Old January 15th, 2001, 03:08 PM
First Mate

Hello Carole, thank you for your kind offer, we are not golfers which is a shame as this hotel sounds great if you are, and probably will have packed swimming suit, towels etc for our return trip so probably would not make use of spa facilities. I read on a site that this hotel offer transportation to surrounding areas but on other sites related to this hotel it has no mention of any transportation other then to the airport I understand that Bal harbour is 12 miles away so I thought about trying to get a taxis to have a look around if there is time, as you know the area is it possible to do this and are taxis very expensive or can you recommend somewhere else, would love to drive down Collins Ave and Ocean Drive area but I think this is maybe to far away any suggestions would be great
Old January 22nd, 2001, 05:14 PM
Carole Dunham

Hi Debbie,

Unfortunately the hotel is sort of out in the middle of nowhere. It's a suburb, but not a resort area at all. I called the hotel and they don't provide transportation anywhere. My best advice would be to rent a car. Taxis are pretty expensive here and both Bal Harbour and Ft. Lauderdale aren't particularly close. There is a rent a car company called Enterprise who will come and pick you up and take you to their office and do all the paper work there. They are not very expensive either. If you like, I can check and see about your British driver's licenses.

Carole