Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 12th, 2001, 11:38 AM
Admiral

Default voyager or grand

We are considering going on our 2nd cruise with our family next christmas. We have 3 teen boys. Deciding between Grand Princess or RC Voyager. Any input would be helpful. We are an active family. How about the food?
Sponsored Links
Old January 12th, 2001, 12:12 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default RE: voyager or grand

Hi Sue,
My vote is with Voyager basically because you are going with teen boys and there is just so much to do on Voyager that will keep them happy and busy:-) Actually both ships are great choices, but think Voyager will be a little more geared to their ages and activities.

I found a members review from this past June that pretty much sums this ship up, hope its some help:

<http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/cruiseguide/shiptour/memreviews/mr_RCI/voyager10.html>

PS: let us know what ship you finally decide on, ok?

Donnassei
Old January 13th, 2001, 10:14 PM
David Starkey

Default RE: voyager or grand

I agree, both are good choices,but I think the Voyager seems more crowded and more packed in than the Grand. You will most likely get a better price on Voyager and more "stuff" to do on her, food I give the edge in quality to the Grand.

Either ship offers a good cruise.
Old January 15th, 2001, 02:25 PM
First Mate

Default Re: voyager or grand

Sue,
I would do both. (and I have) Grand Or Voyager. Voyager offers a bit more for you teen sons. This might be a better choice for them. Grand Gives great value for your $$ though. Look at my website and take a tour of both ships. This will help you make a decision. <www.cruisesinc.com/msinn>

Michael Sinn
Old January 20th, 2001, 09:36 PM
Admiral

Sue,

If you are thinking of going this season, I would blow off both MV Voyager of the Seas and MV Grand Princess in favor of the "Western Caribbean" intinerary on MV Sea Princess. The four ports of call on this itinerary have ideal activities for your teenage sons.

>> At Princess Cays, Princess throws a fantastic beach party that's great fun for all ages. I'm sure that your teenage sons would particularly enjoy it.

>> At Ocho Rios, most of the tours include an opportunity to climb the Dunn's River Falls. Where else in the world can your sons climb a real waterfall? If you take a tour that combines it with a visit to a plantation (Prospect Plantation is a good choice), there will be some enjoyable educational benefit as well. If, on the other hand, you're out for "fun in the sun" without the educational enhancements, you can take a catamaran or whatever to go to the Dunn's River Falls.

>> At Grand Cayman, a trip to Stingray City will afford your sons a chance to swim with -- and feed -- the wondrous creatures. If that isn't quite their (or your!) cup of tea, try the "Sea and See" tour instead. It encompasses a ride in a "semisubmersible craft" to visit a pair of shipwrecks and a few coral reefs with a tour of some fascinating -- and unique -- attractions ashore, including the famous rock formation at Hell and the world's only sea turtle farm (yes, they actually raise the creatures for food!).

>> At Cozumel, your sons probably would love a romp through the Mayan ruins at Tulum. If you have already been to Tulum, the relatively new archaological and ecological park at Ex Caret would be a fine alternative.

With only two days at sea, I'm sure that the teen program aboard MV Sea Princess would have plenty of activities to hold your sons' interest. Of course, they just might enjoy taking a break from all those activities to go for a swim, to work out at the gym, or even to play games in the card and game room, too!

Well, just one man's opinion. I'm sure that you and your sons will have a great time regardless of which ship and itinerary you choose!

Norm.
Old January 26th, 2001, 02:53 PM
Steve M

Having just returned from Explorer of the Seas (same size as Voyager) I would have to say hands down Voyager is the better cruise. #1 Voyager has MUCH more to do onboard than princess, #2 its the world's largest cruise ship, #3 contrary to what you may hear it is NOT crowed at all. Our cruise was fully booked and it seemed the same as any other cruise. For your teenage son, he'll have a much better time on Voyager than on Princess. There is also this really neat feeling cruising on the world's largest cruise ship. You'll make most ships look like tug boats.

Steve....
Old January 30th, 2001, 02:10 PM
Norman B

I just got off the Grand on 1/28. I was on the Voyager last Jan. I agree with Norm's reply. I think that the Western route with more stops would be better for a family with teenage boys.

If you have your heart set on either the Grand or the Voyager then the Voyager would be better for the boys(more for them to do). However, I think that the Grand is a much nicer cruise experience. The food is considerably better on the Grand, and so is the service. The Voyager is not bad, but it is not as good as the Grand. I have sailed on both Princess and RCCL and found that to be true on all the ships. Princess seems to do the little things better. I would rate RCCL good, Princess better, and Celebrity best.