Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 21st, 2001, 02:10 PM
triJO

Default Air/sea package

Have a cruise booked with Ocean Princess 3/4/01. Has anyone had good or bad experiences with Princess in arranging their air travel? Starting to get nervous since we won't know for another 3-4 weeks.
Sponsored Links
Old January 21st, 2001, 03:29 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Air/sea package

Hi TriJO,
I'd recommend doing an air deviation if its not too late. You can pick out the flight you want and when. Its usually between $35 and $50 to do, but well worth the money. Give your travel agent a call and see what can be done, good luck.

Here is a link to an article our Tim Rubacky wrote about the air/sea packages that may help you:

<http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/cruiseguide/before/air-sea.cfm>

Donnassei
Old January 21st, 2001, 06:38 PM
Admiral

triJO,

My parents have routinely booked their air through Princess without an air deviation package, and have always been satisfied with their flight arrangements. I have occasionally talked to fellow passengers who had charter flights with one or two stops en route (if I remember correctly, one flight to Ft. Lauderdale that originated in Milwaukee stopped in Indianapolis to pick up additional passengers, for example) or scheduled "red eye" flights to Florida from the west coast, but the arrangements did work reasonably well. In most cases, these arrangements were reasonable and basically were forced by either airline schedules or the need to fill a chartered airplane.

If you bought an air-sea package, it's Princess's responsibility to get you to the ship one way or another -- so long as you show up on time for your flight(s), of course.

Norm.
Old January 22nd, 2001, 02:08 PM
Cruise Maniac

We booked our air with Princess for the January 27th Sea Princess. Everything appears in order. We fly down on Delta and return on TWA. They assigned seats, too. The only thing unusual is they have us flying out of Miami on the return, so we will be bussed from Fort Lauderdale to the Miami airport.
The flights have one stop and otherwise look reasonable.
You should be able to call Princess and confirm your air travel 30 days prior to departure.
Old January 22nd, 2001, 05:07 PM
Carole Dunham

I don't know where you're flying from, but clearly you'll be flying nonstop from your last mainland port to San Juan. And they all seem to arrive and depart at normal hours. Usually I would agree with Donna about air deviation, but in this case you are traveling at one of the busiest times of the year and the flights are probably already gone. Grit your teeth this time and next time book your own air and insurance. You'll save enough money to go down a day early. If not, definitely use air deviation.

Carole
Old January 24th, 2001, 10:54 PM
Duane T

After talking with our travel agent, we decided to do an air deviation. We are west coast folks flying to San Juan. The flight Princess offered routed us through the NE part of the US. We were concerned about flight delays due to the unusually bad weather in the NE this winter. With the flight deviation, we are now routed through Atlanta. Direct flight on Delta from Portland, Or. to Atlanta. A short layover and then direct flight to San Juan. We plan to take a red eye flight on Friday p.m. Arrive in San Juan Sat a.m. Have the rest of the day to relax, take a nap and do a little sight seeing in the p.m. Good nights sleep. Will have most of the next day to relax and unwind before boarding ship. Ship sails at 11p.m. on Sunday. We did pay for a hotel right near the cruise pier "Old El San Juan Hotel." The hotel was a bit spendy, but hey, we only do this about every three years... The package that Princess offered had us flying from early a.m., all day, arrive in San Juan, and then board the ship immediately. That did not sound very relaxed to us-we wanted to enjoy the ship from day one and be rested. In reading the cruise documents, Princess does not appear to be liable for cancelled or delayed flights. They will fly you to the next Port of Call if you miss the boat, but our cruise had a first day at sea, so we would have missed the first full day of the cruise and could not have boarded until Aruba had we missed the ship. I have to say that Princess is extremely professional and organized in how they handle travel, transfers and the ships are wonderful. I think the chances are slight you will miss a ship. As for air travel, who IS happy with that these days. We are leaving on the Ocean Princess from San Juan 2/25/01-looking forward to it. Have a great cruise.
Old January 24th, 2001, 11:03 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Duane,
That was really smart doing the flight deviation, glad you did it and for the price you pay, its well worth it. We cruised on Ocean last spring and loved the ship, sure you will too, have fun.

Donnassei