Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 22nd, 2001, 09:07 PM
jsea

Default new Princess ships >>> thoughts & ide

Does Princess have any artist renderings, deck plans, or information about the new Coral Princess or Diamond Princess? I am anxious to see what Princess has in the works for these two new classes of vessels. Here is what I would love to see:

-standard cabins no smaller than 170 sq ft.

-EVERY elevator goes to EVERY deck

-all elevators in one elevator lobby interconnected (i.e. not the terrible four-choice-system on the Sun-class for the forward lifts)

-at least three elevator lobbies - forward, midship, and aft, each with stairs!

-full and unobstructed wrap-around promenade (like on Sun-class, not on Grand which is chopped up by stairs)

-better flow: do not split up passenger decks by a galley (i.e. on Grand)

-a little more creativity when it comes to stateroom furnishings/decoration... take a lesson from Celebrity (especially the Millennium)

-higher decks (many public rooms on Sun-class ships have low ceilings)

-grander atriums (I know Princess says this keeps a "small-ship" feel, but I think they are just afraid to have so much non-revenue "wasted" space)

-keep the Skywalker's Lounge concept, it's great

-NO EXTRA CHARGES!!! no $15 charge for dinner at Sabatini's, that's ridiculous

-some sort of new Princess paint scheme on the ship to make it easy to recognize in port (hopefully not for passengers' sake but for a little advertising and style - once again, take a lesson from Celebrity's Millennium) How about a classy sea witch with flowing hair?

CRAZY AND/OR POSSIBLY STUPID IDEAS

-thumb scanners for stateroom and ship entry (maybe portable scanners for beverage charges in lounges)

-viewing of photos digitally on cabin TV

I'm sure I'll think of more but tell me what you think - and what your ideas are.

~~~
jsea
Sponsored Links
Old January 23rd, 2001, 01:21 AM
Carole Dunham

Default Re: new Princess ships >>> thoughts &

The committee that recommends SOLAS regulations, I believe it's called the International Maritime Commission HATES large atriums. Evidently the ship is structurally weaker at the atrium, so I don't know that Princess will ever build them bigger.

Carole
Old January 23rd, 2001, 09:28 AM
Captain

JSEA, I do agree with some of your points such as the wrap around unobstructed decks for walking and eliminating the extra charge for alternative dining. Perhaps the interior of the Millenium is nice I wouldn't know I have never seen it, but as far as I am concerned the exteriors of the Princess ship are much better than the Millenium. To me the Millenium looks like a wharehouse that was converted to condominiums sitting on a barge. I am sure I am in the minority and I mean no offense but I think the Millenium is one of the ugliest ships I have seen.

I am glad you like it and I know many others do also but I still think Princess has nicer exteriors. I also still prefer the old style ships that looked like ships. The ones that are dissappearing due to their age.
Old January 23rd, 2001, 01:01 PM
Carole Dunham

Hi Peb,

For some reason most people really hate the exterior looks of MIllenium. I could care less what the outside of a ship looks like. The inside is what counts and Millie gets almost universal raves for how her interior is designed. After all, how often do you see the outside of a ship. I love Princess as a cruiseline, but I think Celebrity ship's interiors are far more beautiful than Princess ship's interiors. It's not just the art either, although it's fun to go to sea and have something like the Guggenheim going to sea with you.

Carole
Old January 23rd, 2001, 01:53 PM
Captain

Hi Carole,

Well you are probably right you see more of the inside and many people do talk about the interiors of ships, however I spend more time outside and I love the exterior of ships. Fancy atriums and dining rooms do not mean much to me. Neither does artwork or big staterooms. I can find fancy rooms in hotels or commercial buildings. I love the outside of a ship and the fact that it is and can be unique from buildings. Even in Alaska you found me outside more than inside watching for ships that pass by. I wish everybody happy sailings regardless of which ship they sail on. Everyone has their personal preference mine is a ship that looks like a ship.

If you like the looks of the big ships I am glad for you and hope you get to enjoy those ships.
Old January 23rd, 2001, 08:21 PM
jsea

I had never thought of that Carole, but I can certainly see why. I guess SOLAS must despise Royal Caribbean's Voyager class ships.

And, PEB, I do like the classic white of Princess, all I think they should do, however, is paint "Princess" on the side of the ship with a stylized seawitch. The blue, yellow & red of Celebrity would do no good (but I do like it on the Millennium).

Regarding interiors; while I do find Princess to finish out their ships superbly, I never think "this is just stunning!" -- except for the atriums on Sun-class ships. They are of excellent quality, but hardly stray from ordinary. (Hence why I love the Skywalker's concept)

Thanks for your thoughts.

~~~
jsea
Old January 23rd, 2001, 10:44 PM
Admiral

jsea,

I'm more impressed by the distinctive blue "P&O" that's painted on every one of Princess's white hulls and the "red ensign" that now flies above every one of them! P&O is one of the most widely regarded and highly respected names in the world of shipping, both passenger and freight, and the British ensign reflects the highest standards and traditions of the maritime world.

Norm.
Old January 23rd, 2001, 10:52 PM
Admiral

Carole,

Structural weakness is not much of a problem if an atrium is properly designed into a ship. The real problem is the lack of fire blocks in a space that's so totally open. Fire at sea is extremely dangerous, as there is no place to which one might escape. If a fire starts in or spreads into a large atrium, there's absolutely nothing to stop it from spreading.

As a midshipman aboard the USS California (CG-36) in January, 1978, I had the dubious privilege of seeing the burned-out hulk of the SS Jagat Padmini after the firefighting crews of our sister ship, USS South Carolina (CG-37) had gone aboard her and put out a fire that had started in her bilges and engulfed her bridge -- and, of course, everything else in between. It left an impression that has not been forgotten.

I think that all cruise lines would do well to heed the advise of the SOLAS folks in this matter.

Norm.
Old January 23rd, 2001, 11:03 PM
Admiral

jsea,

I agree with many of your comments, but I actually like the public spaces aboard MV Sun Princess and her sisters. Over the course of five cruises aboard the vessels of this class, I have found their public spaces to be attractive, highly functional, and extremely versatile.

Actually, my experience is that several spaces aboard MV Grand Princess -- including the Vista Show Lounge and the main atrium -- are much worse than any of the spaces aboard MV Sun Princess and her sisters! I'm not claustrophobic, but I still found these two spaces to be problematic!

I agree completely with your comments about extra charges. Unfortunately, we're stuck with them so long as people continue to pay them. If we could sustain a good boycott of the facilities that charge them, they would go away.

Since MV Coral Princess is not scheduled to enter service until the fall of next year, only the "privileged few" will see her deck plans before the brochures for those itineraries become available -- which probably means spring of next year. Nonetheless, I can assure you that Princess is well aware of many of the problems with the layout of public spaces aboard MV Grand Princess. Significantly the atrium of MV Golden Princess -- the first sister to MV Grand Princess -- got a complete redesign! Unfortunately, it was too late to solve the other layout problems on her sisters.

Norm.

Norm.
Old January 24th, 2001, 10:03 AM
BillG

I think that your ideas and suggestions are well thought out and I especially agree with your comments about the elevators (especially the lack of stairways and elevators mid ship. As far as the outside of the ships, I have no problem with the white ship design of Princess and certainly find it more attractive than what I consider the glitzy exterior of Millennium (clearly that is a matter of individual taste and my opinion here has no more weight than anyone else's). I did find the main lounge on Dawn Princess to be somewhat claustrophobic and if you were seated in the middle of a row, it was extremely difficult to exit if you had to leave during a performance. Traffic patterns were also bad if you had to leave the aft lounge when another group was waiting to enter. Other than those relatively minor items, I think that the Princess ship's interiors are very nicely done. I hope that Princess will become aware of your suggestions as I think they have a lot of merit.
Old January 24th, 2001, 10:32 PM
jsea

Default P&O

Norm, I like the P&O logos as well. I'm probably mistaken, but did Princess take the logos off of their ships for a time a few years ago?

Thanks for any information.

~~~
jsea
Old January 27th, 2001, 09:08 PM
Admiral

Default Re: P&O

jsea,

Not to my knowledge -- though I think that they originally were smaller.

Norm.
Old February 15th, 2001, 11:12 AM
skyej

I think all of the ideas are good ones. I especially want princess to use more glass in their ship design (like royal caribbean) with great views of the ocean.

I also think some graphic design on the hull would not be a bad idea.... all of the sun-class and grand-class ships have a nice blank space where the galley is below the premenade deck and below the funnel.... a sea witch right there would look nice- perhaps partially below the water line like the old sitmar ships had.

Anyway, does anyone have any idea when Princess will release info about the new ships, or any drawings. I have been searching the web for weeks without finding anything. I did read one article with Peter Ratcliff (pres of princess) and he refused to say anything about the new ships' design.... for some reason they are being very hush-hush about these ships. I certainly hope they are worth the wait with some very innovative features.