Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 27th, 2001, 09:42 PM
MaryM

Default How early can I book?

I've decided to go with a friend on an Alaskan cruise in May of 2002. She will be finishing up with her Master's degree, so we are celebrating. This is well over a year away, but I am wondering when we should book? I've been told the earlier you book, the cheaper it is - BUT, I have also heard last minute travelers get the really good deals.

Does anybody know the best time to book with princess?
Sponsored Links
Old January 28th, 2001, 12:20 AM
Carole Dunham

Default Re: How early can I book?

You can't book until the cruiselines open their books which isn't yet for Alaska 2002. Special rates usually expire sometime in February the year you want to cruise. I like to book around November and get exactly what I want. My travel agent monitors the rates and if they go down, my price goes down too.

Carole
Old January 28th, 2001, 01:57 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Mary,
You can also post in the "bargain finder" here and if and when there are prices and you can book, travel agents will e-mail you the details. Its a great hassle-free feature and a time saver for you. BTW, do you have a certain date and ship picked out to cruise on?

<http://www.cruisemates.com/findcruise/index.cfm>

Donnassei
Old January 28th, 2001, 04:20 PM
emmy

I have booked a Panama Canal cruise on Sun Princess for April 15, 2002. I figured book early if you know when and where you want to go. It certainly cannot hurt since you should receive any reduction in fares.

Emmy
Old January 28th, 2001, 04:43 PM
SUZIE

I also have booked a February,2002 cruise with Princess to Australia - New Zealand. I want the cabin of my choice & time to gather info on all ports & excursions. Don't like waiting until the last minute & am picky where I will bunk for 14 days!!
Old January 28th, 2001, 05:12 PM
Tom and Candy

We booked our 25th Anniverdary trip 13 months ahead to get the cabin we wanted. Depost was $500, and balance due was due by 12/23/00. Our cruise on grand Princess is set for 2/25 - 3/4/01. Best of luck and ENJOY...Alaska is where we'd like to go next.
Old January 28th, 2001, 06:48 PM
Admiral

emmy,

You can get your fare reduced if a reduction occurs after you book but before the deadline for full refund, but the reduction is not automatic. In such cases, your travel agent has to call the agency to request the reduction.

Norm.
Old January 28th, 2001, 06:52 PM
Admiral

Mary,

The cruise lines generally start accepting bookings when they announce the itineraries. The announcement of summer itineraries generally occurs late in the summer or early fall of the preceeding year, followed shortly thereafter by announcments of the itineraries for the following fall/winter.

Norm.
Old January 29th, 2001, 12:15 PM
emmy

Norm,
Yes I have already received a reduction since booking. The first price that was quoted to me was high but it has since gone down $1000.00 per couple (canadian funds) so I am glad I booked early and will keep and eye on prices as well as my TA will keep track.

I expect the prices to come down a bit more before cruise day April 2002.

Emmy
Old January 29th, 2001, 08:44 PM
Elhare

Early booking didn't help us with the Sea Princess. We booked in June 99 for a cruise this April. In November Princess sent out a promo for the same category which was considerably lower than what we had paid. We didn't find out about it until the promo expired. Our T. A. was unaware of it also. Through much arm twisting we finally got our discount from Princess. On the Princess Web site I believe you can sign up to recive all Princess special promotions in the mail. I shall do so next time.
Old January 29th, 2001, 08:53 PM
Elhare

Early booking didn't help us with the Sea Princess. We booked in June 99 for a cruise this April. In November Princess sent out a promo for the same category which was considerably lower than what we had paid. We didn't find out about it until the promo expired. Our T. A. was unaware of it also. Through much arm twisting we finally got our discount from Princess. On the Princess Web site I believe you can sign up to recive all Princess special promotions in the mail. I shall do so next time.